Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I need some ideas
Meyou 09:38 AM 09-30-2011
The kids have been asking for king and queen outfits so now that colder weather is here I'm going to make some. The crowns are easy with felt and velcro. But the capes...I don't like tying things around their necks so I'm looking for an alternative to attach them. Around the arm maybe? I'm a great sewer so I can make anything we come up with. I'm just drawing a blank when it comes to how.
SilverSabre25 09:41 AM 09-30-2011
What about velcro? They can do and undo that themselves. I really don't think that you're going to be able to avoid putting the capes around their necks, but if you use a small bit of the pokey side and a large bit of the fuzzy side, I don't see the harm...
ammama 09:42 AM 09-30-2011
I use clothespins to attach the cape at the neck. Just use a square piece of fabric for the cape, twist it a bit at the neck and stick a wooden clothespin on. It will come off if the cape is pulled so it doesn't strangle at all.
melskids 09:45 AM 09-30-2011
i actually just saw something the other day on a blog somewhere. shoot..i wouldnt even know where to look now...

but she took a mans t shirt and somehow cut it to be a cape, but left part of the sleeves to hold the cape on. like, it was worn almost like a backpack.

let me dig a bit,, maybe i can find it. i read too many blogs...lol
Cat Herder 10:07 AM 09-30-2011
Backpack style?

Sorry, Melskids..... I did not read all the way down....
Meyou 10:14 AM 09-30-2011
Backpack style might work....

Maybe some "backpack straps" that are look like scrunchies with some elastic for hold. They could get them on and off themselves probably. At least the 4 year olds.

Ohhhh and I could add a velcro chest strap between the scrunchies to keep it all together. This could work really well....

Thanks! Now I just need to draft a pattern and pull out some sparkly fabrics.
MyAngels 10:43 AM 09-30-2011
When I made my son's Superman costume (like 20 years ago ) I just sewed the cape to the neckline of the costume shirt. I made it out of a lightweight fabric so it wouldn't stretch out the neck of the shirt. I seem to remember that it worked pretty well.
christinaskids 12:06 PM 09-30-2011
You could make a kings robe with the arm sleeves
laundrymom 08:40 PM 09-30-2011
Snaps. Baby snaps come apart with little effort. Or Velcro. Or if you have an extra lanyard or lanyard clasp.
Reply Up