Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Questions This Morning: Chocolate Milk and Preschool
SunshineMama 04:34 AM 01-15-2014
Question 1: 18mo DCG has started arriving with chocolate milk. Mom insists that she will not drink regular milk. I advised mom that she always drinks reg milk at my house, no issue, but mom persists with the chocolate milk. DCG has become increasingly pushy with the other kids (pushing them down, crying spells, etc), since the chocolate milk. Since DCM is choosing not to listen, do you think I can just toss the chocolate milk?

Question 2: Different DCM emailed me about her child starting preschool in the fall. She only comes 2 days a week, and wants to come for a 1/2 day in the fall, 2 days a week, after preschool. She is asking for a rate reduction. I emailed her and told her that I would have to think about it, but that I would not be able to fill her am spot for those times to make up for the income. I am going to follow up and let her know that, after thinking about it, I just cant take a pay cut. Any extra nice way I can say this?

Thanks! Have a good day everyone!
coolconfidentme 04:40 AM 01-15-2014
My policy states I supply all food/drinks. If a parents has something at drop off, I tell them they have to take it with them & I make them take it from the child. I tell them I am on the food program & I signed an agreement I have to supply all food/drinks. No exceptions.

ps..., Suggest to the other DCM find someone to fill the other part of the day & you would consider it. Otherwise you cannot cut your rates. When someone ask me to cut their rate I usually say something silly like"I feel what you are say, Unfortunately Duke Energy doesn't care if I'm home or not, I still have to pay the electric bill for the entire month." (I then smile & say nothing more.)
SunshineMama 05:14 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
My policy states I supply all food/drinks. If a parents has something at drop off, I tell them they have to take it with them & I make them take it from the child. I tell them I am on the food program & I signed an agreement I have to supply all food/drinks. No exceptions.

ps..., Suggest to the other DCM find someone to fill the other part of the day & you would consider it. Otherwise you cannot cut your rates. When someone ask me to cut their rate I usually say something silly like"I feel what you are say, Unfortunately Duke Energy doesn't care if I'm home or not, I still have to pay the electric bill for the entire month." (I then smile & say nothing more.)
Haha- I like the Duke energy comparison!

I do not currently have a no outside food/drink rule. From what I am reading from lots of people on the forum, it seems like a good one to instate.
Lil'DinoEggs 05:17 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Question 2: Different DCM emailed me about her child starting preschool in the fall. She only comes 2 days a week, and wants to come for a 1/2 day in the fall, 2 days a week, after preschool. She is asking for a rate reduction. I emailed her and told her that I would have to think about it, but that I would not be able to fill her am spot for those times to make up for the income. I am going to follow up and let her know that, after thinking about it, I just cant take a pay cut. Any extra nice way I can say this?

A parent just did this to me. Currently they are part time (two mornings a week, sometimes the whole day if I have room). Parent said "yay! I have a job. The child will come for three full days a week. Do you have room?" I said"Yes, full time is $$$/week" Parent replies: oh, it is just three days. I told parent, I am looking for full time. They can do whatever schedule they want until I fill the spot. Fifteen minutes later, "we will take the spot" I find the less I talk, the better results I get because then they can't find any loopholes.

I would never explain this to a parent but the reality is that they are trying to save money on child care. I know parents say they love me, their kids love me, they see the love I give their kids, but the reality is is this is a job. I work 11 hours a day, sometimes more with no overtime. I have parents who use me as a break because they are tired, sick, child is bored, [insert any excuse here]. Fine, great, that is why I am open. But don't try and get sympathy from me. They wouldn't try and go to the local day care to negotiate. BTW, I am a smidge cheaper. Sorry I hijacked. I needed to vent apparently. Haha.
sharlan 07:05 AM 01-15-2014
I agree, tell the mom that the food program does not allow for outside food. In CA, all food brought from home has to be labeled. If that doesn't work, toss the milk as soon as mom leaves.

I charge the same for 1/2 day as I do all day. I don't offer discount for preschool.
Leigh 07:09 AM 01-15-2014
I wouldn't blame attitude on the chocolate milk...I'd blame it on age. It's up to you whether you toss the milk or not. It's better for a kid to drink chocolate milk than no milk. It's been proven over and over that sugar does not affect behavior, but white milk has added sugar, as well, if sugar is what you're thinking is causing the behavior.

As far as the other issue, I'd just say "I'm sorry, but I'm not able to reduce my rate, as even though your child will be attending only 1/2 days, the child will still be taking up a full-day slot. I only have so many spots available, and it wouldn't be a smart business move not to utilize them to their potential.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Question 1: 18mo DCG has started arriving with chocolate milk. Mom insists that she will not drink regular milk. I advised mom that she always drinks reg milk at my house, no issue, but mom persists with the chocolate milk. DCG has become increasingly pushy with the other kids (pushing them down, crying spells, etc), since the chocolate milk. Since DCM is choosing not to listen, do you think I can just toss the chocolate milk?

Question #1. The second you see DCG arriving with chocolate milk, tell mom to take her back to car until she is finished with it. Do NOT allow it in your house. If she ONLY drinks chocolate for mom then she can drink it on HER time and NOT on yours...kwim?

Don't even entertain the conversation with mom. Tell you have NO issues with the girl drinking regular milk. If she does, she (DCM) can deal with it in the car or at home, why bring it to daycare?

Questions #2. Tell mom that you don't do half days. If she attends (even for an hour) the rate is the same. If she chooses to put her child in preschool, that's fine but that choice shouldn't affect you. The child is either enrolled in your daycare or she isn't. I don't do rate reductions for any reason.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:25 AM 01-15-2014
I had one dcb that would come in with a sippy cup every day, despite my requests and explanations why I didn't want it here. I started putting it in his cubby as is and leaving it there. After a couple days of him taking a pull on the "old" milk 10 hours later (insulated cups so nothing dangerous, but not so pleasant either!) at pick-up and/or the dcp's having to dump out a full cup at home, and he began appearing empty-handed in the mornings. Yes, passive-aggressive is my style when my policies are ignored.

I agree with the other previous posters on the PT dcg, and wouldn't do it. It took me about 8 years to realize that every dollar I saved a dcf "just to be nice" was a dollar I deprived my own family of. Even just $20 a week equates to a new pair of jeans for my son, or a fun Taco Bell dinner on Friday night for all of us. Not willing to do it anymore.
itlw8 07:37 AM 01-15-2014
do you have an hourly drop in rate? If not make one and it should be high enough that it will be MORE than the p/t rate she is paying less work is more pay.

Then say I am sorry I can not lower my p/t rate I can give you the drop in hourly rate. so instead of $50 a week it will be $10 an hour BUT be aware you must call to see if I have room that week because I will be advertising to fill the opening.

Do you transport for the preschool ??? hope not but if you do include that in the cost.
It should add up to way more than she pays for p/t now.
renodeb 01:55 PM 01-15-2014
Question 1: Yes, I think you could toss it. Can you tell who rules the roost at there house?!!!!
Question 2: I would say that you will not be able to give a discount because you can't fill the other times. bottom line!
Deb
earlystart 02:03 PM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I wouldn't blame attitude on the chocolate milk...I'd blame it on age. It's up to you whether you toss the milk or not. It's better for a kid to drink chocolate milk than no milk. It's been proven over and over that sugar does not affect behavior, but white milk has added sugar, as well, if sugar is what you're thinking is causing the behavior.

As far as the other issue, I'd just say "I'm sorry, but I'm not able to reduce my rate, as even though your child will be attending only 1/2 days, the child will still be taking up a full-day slot. I only have so many spots available, and it wouldn't be a smart business move not to utilize them to their potential.
White milk does not have added sugar by the way...I think you may be confused with naturally occurring sugar in milk called "lactose".
e.j. 02:45 PM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
every dollar I saved a dcf "just to be nice" was a dollar I deprived my own family of.
Such an important point to remember!
Leigh 02:49 PM 01-15-2014
Originally Posted by earlystart:
White milk does not have added sugar by the way...I think you may be confused with naturally occurring sugar in milk called "lactose".
You're right...I thought that milk producers started adding sugar to it in the last few years when they were fighting over the right to put aspertame in it without labeling it. It's only the flavored milk that has added sugars
wabbittrouble 12:48 PM 01-18-2014
It really ticks me off when the kids bring in something sugary in the morning in a sippy. Or candy! GRRRR I just take it from them the minute they walk in the door, put it on the counter and say - I will give you the cup with breakfast. Then when the parent leaves I dump it and put regular milk in it. I did give them back "the cup" just not what was in it.... If it's candy I tell them "we can't have candy at Miss Sue's and I make them hand it over, it goes in the garbage as soon as mom or dad leave.
Laurel 05:23 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I had one dcb that would come in with a sippy cup every day, despite my requests and explanations why I didn't want it here. I started putting it in his cubby as is and leaving it there. After a couple days of him taking a pull on the "old" milk 10 hours later (insulated cups so nothing dangerous, but not so pleasant either!) at pick-up and/or the dcp's having to dump out a full cup at home, and he began appearing empty-handed in the mornings. Yes, passive-aggressive is my style when my policies are ignored.

I agree with the other previous posters on the PT dcg, and wouldn't do it. It took me about 8 years to realize that every dollar I saved a dcf "just to be nice" was a dollar I deprived my own family of. Even just $20 a week equates to a new pair of jeans for my son, or a fun Taco Bell dinner on Friday night for all of us. Not willing to do it anymore.
I have always dumped it out but I like your idea a LOT better. I used to have a mom that would occasionally send iced tea in her baby's bottle! I suppose she ran out of milk I just dumped it, washed out the bottle, and put milk in it.

Laurel
Tags:chocolate milk, milk
Reply Up