Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCD Wants DCB Out Of Pack N Play For Naps But He Is Still In Crib At Home..Opinions?
Soccermom 08:54 AM 12-09-2013
I have a just turned 2 DCB who has been napping for hours here in his pack n play in the afternoons. He goes down so nicely and just loves to sleep.

DCD just told me this AM that he wants me to put DCB to sleep on the floor from now on because they need the PNP for new baby sister.

DCB still sleeps in crib at home. I normally always wait until they have been in their big beds at home for at least 2 weeks before I transition them out of their PNP here.

I don't want to go out and buy a PNP for a DCB who may only use it another few months and there is a part of me that is tempted to ask DCPS to transition him @ home first.

Opinions?
Blackcat31 08:57 AM 12-09-2013
I think you answered your own question.

You don't normally put DCK's on anything other than the PNP until they've mastered the skill at home.

Why would this case be any different?

I also have issue with parents telling ME what to do so that THEY can reap the rewards...kwim?

If they want to sleep train their child on a mat or toddler bed, they are free to do so. I don't see how this has any bearing on you, other than them wanting YOU to do the hard work.

I have several mat sleepers here that still sleep in cribs or PNP's at home but ONLY because them being transitioned worked for ME.

I don't really ask parents where their child sleeps at home. It doesn't effect me here so it isn't info I necessarily need.
sharlan 08:58 AM 12-09-2013
I would tell them - too bad - I am not transitioning him at this time.

I know others move earlier, but I don't as long as they still fit comfortably in the pack and play.
Play Care 09:00 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I have a just turned 2 DCB who has been napping for hours here in his pack n play in the afternoons. He goes down so nicely and just loves to sleep.

DCD just told me this AM that he wants me to put DCB to sleep on the floor from now on because they need the PNP for new baby sister.

DCB still sleeps in crib at home. I normally always wait until they have been in their big beds at home for at least 2 weeks before I transition them out of their PNP here.

I don't want to go out and buy a PNP for a DCB who may only use it another few months and there is a part of me that is tempted to ask DCPS to transition him @ home first.

Opinions?
Is it your PNP or theirs? I supply the PNP's here and children stay in them until *I* see it's time to move them out. If they are essentially asking for their PNP back, I would give it to them - after I had purchased one for me.
Kimskiddos 09:01 AM 12-09-2013
I usually transition my kiddos to nap mats around 20-24 months (depending on space and/or climbing ability), never worried about what dcps are doing at home. So many give bottles, paci's etc. so much longer than I do here.

Good luck, I am moving a 23mo to a nap mat with the older kids after the first of the year. Hope it goes smoothly. BTW dcb's parents still having him using sippy cups, paci and crib at home. We've given up 2 of the 3 here with no issues.
itlw8 09:18 AM 12-09-2013
I would say I will try and see how it goes. Lets give it a few weeks and I will get back to you. Have you moved him to his big boy bed yet at Home??? That will help a lot with switching him here. Let me know how that is going and we will keep in touch. Hopefully it will be an easy process.
daycarediva 09:52 AM 12-09-2013
I would do what works for you, but it the parents want their pack and play back, you have to give it back. I don't/won't use them at all anymore and all of my dck's (18m+) sleep wonderfully on nap mats. Half are still in cribs at home (one is 3.5 and still in a crib). It makes zero difference to me what parents do at home with this. ALL have been skeptical about nap mats and all have been proven wrong.
caregiver 10:14 AM 12-09-2013
I also provide all the pnp here so that I have my own. I would suggest that you buy one for yourself so that you do have one when you need it and don't have to depend on DCP's to bring one. I have had parents that have not wanted me to take their child out of the PNP until they were almost 3 yrs old and some that have asked me to do it when they turned 2 yrs old. I have had a few 2 yr old's not want to stay on the bed or sleeping mats for naps when I have transitioned them and would get into things that they knew they were not supposed to play with. So then they went back in the PNP until I could trust them.
I would give the PNP back to the parents and then go buy one for the child at you daycare.
I provide all my own daycare equipment so that I have whatever I do need and don't have to ask the parents for anything.
melilley 10:20 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would do what works for you, but it the parents want their pack and play back, you have to give it back. I don't/won't use them at all anymore and all of my dck's (18m+) sleep wonderfully on nap mats. Half are still in cribs at home (one is 3.5 and still in a crib). It makes zero difference to me what parents do at home with this. ALL have been skeptical about nap mats and all have been proven wrong.
Same here.
melilley 10:25 AM 12-09-2013
Two of my 2 year olds here sleep in a crib at home, but have a cot here. One child does really well and the other is "practicing". He does ok most days, but some days I either have to sit (depending on how many kids are here) with him or I give him so much time to go to sleep and if he doesn't, he sleeps in the pnp. This particular child LOVES the cot so he does really try to fall asleep on it, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

I would say do what is comfortable to you. When I worked in a center, we transitioned them to a cot when they moved to the toddler room and were walking, usually around 12 months and most did very well! But I also had other co-workers to help.
DaycareMom 10:29 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:

Opinions?

The new babysitter? I am confused...
Shell 10:31 AM 12-09-2013
I transitioned a 2yr old to a mat well before her parents were ready to make the move to a bed. I'm like some of the others on here, and do what I need to do- I needed her pack-n-play for a new infant that was starting. Dcd said to me, "Thanks! You put in the hard work, and now we should be able to put her in a big girl bed".
I also have been pleasantly surprised by how easily many of the kids take to sleeping on a mat.
cheerfuldom 10:32 AM 12-09-2013
buy a second hand PNP and save yourself the headache of dealing with the parents or transitioning this child before you are ready. I regularly see PNPs locally for $25 to $30 each. IMO, I would rather provide all items and not deal with items coming and going from my house. I do all car seats, all winter clothing.....the less coming and going, the better.
Cradle2crayons 10:34 AM 12-09-2013
I wish I could afford shipping. I have pack and plays coming out my nose!!!

Check craigslist and see if you can find one really cheap. I agree I would keep him in a pack and play until he's been transitioned at home. Truth is you have to give it back if it's theirs but I would ask them to transition he child at home first.
melilley 10:35 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
The new babysitter? I am confused...
The new baby sister, not babysitter... Sorry had to laugh...
hope 10:48 AM 12-09-2013
This is why I supply all the high chairs, pnp's, booster seats, etc. I have had parents insist on supplying their own before and I refuse bc I want to be the one to make the decision when I will transition the child in my home. If I don't feel it's safe I will not take that risk regardless if the parent requests. Also, potty training and transition to bed should be introduced at home with our assistance. Not the other way around.
lovemykidstoo 10:48 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Hahaha! That's totally how I read it too! LOL
melilley 10:50 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Hahaha! That's totally how I read it too! LOL
Haha It happens to me quite a bit!
SilverSabre25 10:52 AM 12-09-2013
This is why I supply PnP's....no parents telling me what to do!

Seriously you can get one for like, $15 from a store like Once Upon a Child. I would do that.
blandino 10:55 AM 12-09-2013
I normally take children out of a PnP at 18 months, but only because it works better for me.

Often times I have thought about not moving a child from a high chair/crib until after they do at home - just so the brunt of the work wasn't on me - but it just isn't worth waiting to me.

I would absolutely tell them that once he has the concept down at home, then you welcome it at daycare. That would definitely be my policy if it wasn't more convenient for me to have them out sooner.
DaycareMom 10:58 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
hahahaha Thank you for clarifying.
TwinKristi 01:51 PM 12-09-2013
Yeah I supply the PNP so I would decide and most likely wait until they are out at home as well. One DCB goes down well by himself here on a mat but at home puts up the biggest stink. LOL mom thinks it's crazy how well he behaves here but how whiney and clingy he is at home. Sometimes the structure and consistency works better at DC than at home making it easier to have them in a bed or whatever.
GKJNIGMN 02:07 PM 12-10-2013
If you aren't comfortable with it, don't agree to it.

I have a smaller home daycare compared to some and I use the pack n play if I have an overnight shift of a child who sleeps in a crib at home but during the daytime, I have had all of my daycare kids sleep on nap mats. The youngest one I have had is 15 months but none of them have taken more than a couple days of the routine to get on the mat when asked and lay quietly.

I look at the pack n play as more of a place to keep them safe when I can't directly supervise but at nap time I sit in the room and do my paperwork.
jenn 06:30 PM 12-10-2013
Do whatever works for you! If you think he can handle the transition, give it a try. If you aren't ready to do the transition, tell them no and explain your guidelines of when you transition. If you require them to provide PNP's, tell them they will need to provide a new one for baby sister.
I transition mine as soon as possible. I start as early as 12 months and everyone is out by 18 months. This is just my preference. Most are still in a crib at home, but do fine on a mat or cot here.
Rachel 04:19 AM 12-11-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yup, mine go on mats around one. This year my group is young and I had a 6 month old on a mat from September. Works great for me but doesn't work for everyone. I do agree though if they want their PNP back it's reasonable. Yes, it might be in your contract they have to supply it but I wouldn't be a stickler over it. It's not like the child is 6 months old.
Reply Up