Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Less "Theme" More Open Ended Play
WImom 08:47 AM 02-07-2014
I want to change from the normal this is our theme this week to a general monthly theme and lots of open ended play. Anyone do this recently and can lead me to some websites or tips on doing this? I am advertised as a preschool/childcare but most of my kids I've been getting lately just are not into all the traditional "preschool" stuff so I want to change what my program is all about. I still want to get kids ready for kindergarten though.

I would also like this to be less work on my end. I feel I spend too much time getting my themes planned every week. I also have mostly 2's and 3's (my 3's are more like 2y old kids though because they have never been in daycare before)
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 02-07-2014
I love this blog. It is super helpful and is really great at explaining what child-led means and how to structure your day and routine accordingly.

When I made the move to more open ended routines and child led themes and content, it was hard at first because I was so used to having a schedule for each moment of the day. It was tough to just let go and stop looking at the clock..

But the more on-line reading and searching I did, the more stuff I found that supported my decision as well as finding a ton of great resources....(so don't stop googling )

But anyways, maybe this blog will help you get started: http://preschoolpowolpackets.blogspo...culum-why.html

HTH
daycarediva 09:21 AM 02-07-2014
I only do 'centers' now. They are typically thematic, but I put out a variety and the kids can chose what interests them, or nothing at all. Today I had 6 kids, ages 2-3.5. I put out;

bug toys, small tongs, bug themed matching cards

tangram heart puzzles

Cotton balls, pipettes and test tubes of various colored liquid watercolors in a shallow dish

tracing paper, variety of writing supplies and laminated name cards, as well as the raised letter cards we made last week (with glitter glue, they did rubbings of the letters with them using charcoal pencils)

They chose a friend, or chose to play alone. I only 'allow' two kids per activity (as they tend to get wild).

I also purchase things and design activities based on current interest. I have a little guy OBSESSED with all things bug. Hearts based on their interest in the valentines day calendar card, we have been doing a LOT of art lately (their choice) and they are very interested in mixing colors. They ask everyday for their raised letter cards, and they loved the tracing paper that I put in the art shelf last week.

We did shadow play for groundhog day We read the Dark, Dark Night book. I put out a lamp and curtained an area off. This entertained them for 2+ hours straight.

We are busy, but I don't plan cookie cutter crafts. I introduce topics and ideas and let them roll with it.
Leanna 09:28 AM 02-07-2014
Yes, last year I did very open-ended monthly themes for many of the reasons you mentioned. This way I could spread out my theme activities, didn't feel guilty if we didn't do a theme related activity every single day, and could add in books or do art activities that weren't related (because lets be honest: themes can start to stifle you and there are a lot of fun learning activities and stories that have nothing to do with any theme)!

So I did:
Sept: Tools and Construction
Oct: Faces and Masks
Nov: Biomes (we did deserts, rainforests, and temperate forests)
Dec: December Holidays
Jan: Winter and Animals in Winter
Feb: Teeth and Dental Health
Mar: I am an artist
Apr: I am a musician
May: Wind and Air
June: Insects

These topics were "loose" enough that I could include a lot and like I said, with a whole month I felt like I had more breathing room. Planning was much easier because I included non-theme related activities often. Good luck!
melskids 09:29 AM 02-07-2014
I allow the children to choose the themes based on their interests. Sometimes they last a week, sometimes a month, and sometimes we go quite some time without a "theme" at all.
jenboo 09:30 AM 02-07-2014
I have a monthly theme and a calendar of activities to please licensing. I have to have it posted. Do we follow it? a little bit, but it really depends on what the children want to do that day. We may do some "themed" activities (for example, this month is transportation so we made a graph about different types of transportation).

Here is how child directed works for me: A few min ago two DCKs asked why it rains. I am now going to look up a few pictures of the rain cycle and print them out. Ill let the children look at them and discuss them. I will be there to guide them and to lead the discussion if they need help, but i like it best when they do most of the talking/exploring. Viola! science

When children pick their own interests/ activities they learn and retain a lot more. I will be there to guide them and make sure some of the activities are turned into learning experiences.

Hope that makes sense.
childcaremom 10:11 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I only do 'centers' now. They are typically thematic, but I put out a variety and the kids can chose what interests them, or nothing at all.
This is very similar to how I do it right now. I have a monthly theme and plan stuff to set up around that. I put it out, let the children explore it as they wish, and I will change up the activities every so often.

I am working towards strictly play-led but it's really hard for me to let go of planning Baby steps

I really like this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-...41352815884541
jenboo 10:17 AM 02-07-2014
I also have my room set up in centers. They have lots of open ended play. We will do a circle time that consists of a couple songs and stories. Then i will help guide them through an activity/discussion. Then its free play until lunch.

I love not having to spend hours planning and prepping!
MarinaVanessa 10:35 AM 02-07-2014
You can still do themes and do child-led/open ended, especially if you have centers. Plan the themes based on what the children are interested in and put out materials that reinforce that. The boys interested in dinosaurs but the girls like playing house? Introduce the dino theme and add dinosaurs to the block play (same dino types in different sizes so that girls can have mommy, daddy & baby etc), add stories with dinos as characters to the book center, for art you can have them draw "fossils" on index cards then have them trace with glue, when it hardens they can do fossil rubbings for the art center (or you can make the index cards and they can do the rubbings), for the dramatic play area you can add dinosaur hats or masks (you can buy these or have the children make them), for the sand play add dinosaurs, dino sand molds. Just provide items for your theme and then let the children choose what they want to play with and what they want to do with them.
MsLaura529 11:20 AM 02-07-2014
Can you guys explain a little further about "centers" ... Do you have multiple tables around the room that hold these items for the centers ... or do you just have them in different areas? Also, before they begin to play with the centers, do you go over each one explaining how it works, and what to do? Do you have a timer going for how long they play? Are these their only options during that time, or are they included in the free play?
Sorry so many questions.

I am also thinking of just doing a monthly/bi-weekly theme once we finish off this alphabet.
jenboo 11:38 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Can you guys explain a little further about "centers" ... Do you have multiple tables around the room that hold these items for the centers ... or do you just have them in different areas? Also, before they begin to play with the centers, do you go over each one explaining how it works, and what to do? Do you have a timer going for how long they play? Are these their only options during that time, or are they included in the free play?
Sorry so many questions.

I am also thinking of just doing a monthly/bi-weekly theme once we finish off this alphabet.
This is how I do it:
I have a reading center, home living/pretend center, block center, language/art/manipulative center, and a baby center.

There is a section of the room designated for each individual center. One corner has pillow, a book shelf and stuffed animals. This is the library center.

There is a corner that has baby dolls, a play kitchen and dress up clothes. This is our pretend/home living center.

There is a section of the room right by the tables that has art supplies, puppets, puzzles, play dough, etc. This is my language/art manipulative center (its a huge shelf so it holds a lot).

There is a carpet with a shelf that has cars, animals, blocks, etc. This is the block center.

There is a section for toys for Infants. This is the baby center.

The kids can play anywhere they want, how ever long they want. There are no rules, no timers, etc.

To me, centers is just how I arrange my room. I dont have a science/math center becasue i do not have any science or math stuff but once i get it, ill probably add in another shelf for that stuff. This is how I did centers at a few preschools i had previously worked at.

Center time= free play

Ignore the big mess
[IMG][/IMG]
melskids 11:52 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
This is very similar to how I do it right now. I have a monthly theme and plan stuff to set up around that. I put it out, let the children explore it as they wish, and I will change up the activities every so often.

I am working towards strictly play-led but it's really hard for me to let go of planning Baby steps

I really like this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Play-...41352815884541
Denita is awesome! Not that I'm name dropping. LOL
WImom 01:19 PM 02-07-2014
Thanks for all of the info!
daycarediva 03:52 PM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Sorry so many questions.

My centers are done right after morning circle. I set them up after breakfast, then we have circle, and then they are allowed to chose a buddy (or play alone). I have an 8 seater prek table and put 2 centers/activities on that. I have a small coffee table (prek size) and put one center on that, and then 1-2 fit on my dining room table, if needed.

They chose which center to go to, what to do with it, and how long to spend there. If there is a demand, we make a list of who goes next.

I do not tell them what to do at the center, but I set limits (usually just it all has to stay on the tray) I give one warning, and then remove the child from that center.

They can free play if they want, centers are not forced.
Stomonenus 01:45 AM 02-07-2022
Is it possible to play music or "white noise" during these games?
Michael 10:50 AM 02-07-2022
Originally Posted by Stomonenus:
Is it possible to play music or "white noise" during these games?
Welcome to the forum. While this archived forum has a wealth of daycare knowledge base, we have a new mobile ready forum with lots of activity: https://forum.daycare.com/
Tags:play based daycare
Reply Up