Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Treasure Chest For Behavior Management?
NightOwl 08:55 AM 03-31-2014
I have a particularly challenging case with my nephew (vented about this a few days ago). His behavior can be unmanageable at times. Looking for ideas that might actually work to encourage positive behaviors with him instead of constantly correcting bad behaviors. Does anyone use a treasure chest? And how often do you allow the children to get a prize from the chest? Daily/weekly/after a certain number of good days, etc?
sharlan 09:25 AM 03-31-2014
I have never done it for daycare, but both my dds did it for their own kids' behaviors.

My eldest grandson got a $1 toy every day that both of his teachers signed off on good behavior. When that started working, my dd changed it to a $5 toy on Fridays if he got all 5 days signed off. It took about 6 weeks before his behavior was 100% at school.
daycare 09:40 AM 03-31-2014
I dont do one, but If you wanted to, I do see them all the time on oriental trading.

I don't do reward tracking with the kids, because I have too many that I would have to track, plus I don't really have any behavior issues right now.

I do have one kid that if he is having a bad day he loses his ABCmouse.com time. He loves that program, so he hardly every misbehaves anymore. He lost it 2 times in the past and has not done anything since then.

you sound like you are on the right track by being proactive about his behavior. I do believe that children will only behave the way that they are allowed to.

In my sons kinder class, they have a chance to earn 5 stars every day. If they earn all 5 starts, they get a sticker to put on their chart and if at the end of the week they have 3-4 stars they get to pick from one box and if they have 5 stars they get to pick for a different one with better prizes.

My son is a very quiet shy boy, so he always gets his 5 stars. He loved it at first, but it lost it's meaning to him half way through the year. He still behaves, but for him it didn't really matter after awhile.
NightOwl 11:16 AM 03-31-2014
Hmmmmm.... I'm willing to try anything at this point because nothing has worked so far. He can be violent, use foul language, tell me "well my MAMA said....", etc. I hate it that my nephew is the worst behaved child I have or ever have had! And I feel like we never get a chance to have good days because I'm constantly on him for something he's done/said. So frustrating.
Leigh 11:25 AM 03-31-2014
Physical rewards (toys, stickers, etc.) are often recommended. The therapist that I worked with suggested these to me for 2 kids with ADHD and ODD. It was a disaster. As soon as the child received ANY kind of tangible reward, the kid went INSANE. Behavior immediately was out of control. I tried this system for a month, and I swore I'd not do it again.

Consistent rules and consequences (immediate) and clear expectations seem to work best for me.
Heidi 12:24 PM 03-31-2014
Honestly, I can't lay much stock into external rewards either. I tried it a couple years ago with a very challenging 4 year old, because my "bag of tricks" was empty otherwise, but I can't say it helped. In the end, I ended up terming him (and his 3 sibs) after a year of trying to "fix" their behavior.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:

Consistent rules and consequences (immediate) and clear expectations seem to work best for me.

The longer I do this job the more I despise the whole thought process behind reward systems for negative or unwanted behavior.

IME, I've had much better luck and better results with the use of consistent rules and immediate consequences.
bklsmum 01:39 PM 03-31-2014
I have a prize box filled with toys from the Dollar Store. The kids get a star for every day without a time out. After 5 stars in a row they can pick a prize. It works pretty well for me.
melskids 01:55 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

The longer I do this job the more I despise the whole thought process behind reward systems for negative or unwanted behavior.

IME, I've had much better luck and better results with the use of consistent rules and immediate consequences.
yup.

I tried it once, until the boy threw temper tantrums at pick up because he wasn't getting a prize and mom refused to leave until I gave in and gave him one. Defeated the whole purpose.
LoraJenkins 07:55 PM 03-31-2014
I have a "prize box" that I have dollar store toys, card games, small puzzles, etc in. Every Friday, if the children have stayed in green all week, they can choose a prize. If they get in yellow or red even once all week, then no prize. It works great for me.
Wubby 08:19 PM 03-31-2014
I posted my treasure chest/chart before. It works wonders, it gives a visual for those that need it. Here it is:

I made a sign, like a stop sign,with 2 signs on each color, so they have a visual.

Green is" I'm on Wubby's happy list" and "I'm having a good day.

Yellow is "THINK- T= is it true, H= is it helpful, I=is it inspiring, N= is it necessary, K= is it kind" and "OOPS I'm not making wise choices".

Red is "I had a few problems to, but I will try harder tomorrow" and " Today I am on the naughty list, but I'm sure tomorrow will be better"

I bought clothes pins and had all the kids color and put their names on it.

Whoever hasn't been on red that week, gets to take from the treasure box.
Wubby 08:24 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by melskids:
yup.

I tried it once, until the boy threw temper tantrums at pick up because he wasn't getting a prize and mom refused to leave until I gave in and gave him one. Defeated the whole purpose.
Oh my, if one of my parents would of done this, they both would of been shown the door along with a term notice.
This doesn't work unless parents are on the same page.
misslori50 02:52 PM 04-01-2014
NO WAY! I expect good beviour I would not continue to care for your nephew. Its notworth the stress.
Play Care 03:57 PM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Physical rewards (toys, stickers, etc.) are often recommended. The therapist that I worked with suggested these to me for 2 kids with ADHD and ODD. It was a disaster. As soon as the child received ANY kind of tangible reward, the kid went INSANE. Behavior immediately was out of control. I tried this system for a month, and I swore I'd not do it again.

A psychologist I worked with said the issue with token gratuities is that it often becomes about the token gratuity rather than the desired result, and I've found this to be true. I've had kids behave terribly but then look at me as they were walking out the door and ask about their "prize" But not only that, the very child who was supposed to be helped the most by the reward system, often would fixate on it and it seemed to increase their anxiety, which would lead to more tantrums. I find genuine verbal praise to be one of my best "tricks."
Tags:rewards
Reply Up