Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do You Think It Is Appropriate For A Baby To Hold Their Bottle?
crazydaycarelady 03:34 PM 08-01-2013
I don't know if my expectations are too high but I have a 10mo, a 9mo, and an 8mo. The 8 and 9mos hold their own bottle but the 10mo won't even put his hands up to it while I hold it. He is still cradled and fed like small baby. I am stretched thin and wish he could figure this one out.

Note - his dad is overseas on deployment and I think his mom just holds him ALL THE TIME. He head is wobbly still, he is unstable when he sits. He also weighs about 32 pounds and wants to be packed around all day. I had to laugh because I posted a picture of my new sleep sacs on my dc fb page and said they will keep one of the little monkeys from climbing out of bed. She asked me if I was referring to her little monkey. I don't know what planet she is on - this kid couldn't climb out if the house was on fire!
Dragonfly 03:52 PM 08-01-2013
I have one like that now. I have had to work and work with him on everything. He never just naturally picks up on doing things; sitting up, rolling over, holding bottle, etc. He doesn't seem to realize he can DO things for himself. He is very big also.

I would lay him on a pillow to drink his bottle and hold his hands on the bottle. It took about 2-3 weeks.
blandino 03:53 PM 08-01-2013
I expect it around 6 months. Not perfectly or anything, but being able to hold it for a reasonable amount of time - and maybe dropping it and needing help occasionally.

Right now I have an almost 6 month old who holds hers the majority of the time.

We start putting their hands around it, and letting them feel the drop when it falls, and then fixing it. A sort of action/reaction thing.
cheerfuldom 08:00 PM 08-01-2013
At 10 months, really I would be looking to see if he was a bit delayed. Its not just the bottle thing because you said he wasnt doing much of anything yet right? i know kids develop at different rates but there is still a normal/average range that is fair to expect. I think being barely able to sit and still wobbly neck is delayed to me. By 10 months, most kids are sitting, crawling, and many are pulling up and using a sippy cup at that point. I would definitely keep an eye on this little guy for delays....
Unregistered 08:21 PM 08-01-2013
Maybe they are not given the opportunity to try at home?

With one year mat leave here I seldom get little ones younger than 12 months. The last three new ones were not holding their own bottles when they started. I get them switched to a sippy cup and holding their own within a few weeks.
Live and Learn 09:14 PM 08-01-2013
32 POUNDS !!!!!!! At 10 months? That cannot be right.....
littlemissmuffet 11:00 PM 08-01-2013
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
32 POUNDS !!!!!!! At 10 months? That cannot be right.....
My nephew was like this... he's 5 now and looks like he's about 7 but he's tall, not overweight. My sister just makes big kids.

I agree with cheerful and think this 10 month old is possibly delayed... he should be at the very least steadily holding his head up...
coolconfidentme 03:42 AM 08-02-2013
I have a 12 month boy, who has been with me since he was 3 months. Everything is slow to go with him. He is just now standing a few seconds on his own & then wants to sit. He is a smart kid, just seems lazy where milestones are concern. I think they do for him at home.
melilley 05:13 AM 08-02-2013
I have an 11 mo. old who can barely hold his sippy cup (he is off of bottles, but couldn't hold those either) and can't figure out how to use it. His mom has told me that she holds open cups up to him for him to drink and that the older son never could use one either. Plus she still breastfeeds every 1 1/2-2 hours even at night so at home he never practices using one. I have to sit here and help him drink everyday and at lunch it gets a little old so I have been making him try to use it, of course if he doesn't drink then I will help, but he should be able to do it himself!
crazydaycarelady 07:34 PM 08-04-2013
Yes, he is really big. When I put him in the exersaucer his hips are at the top of the seat part. He looks like a 2yo in there except he is bald. It is weird because he does crawl, but he can't sit up very well.

I have tried putting his head on a boppy and puting a folded blanket under the bottle to hold the weight of it and then put his hands on it. He has no idea, he rolls over and the bottle falls away.
LoraJenkins 05:48 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
At 10 months, really I would be looking to see if he was a bit delayed. Its not just the bottle thing because you said he wasnt doing much of anything yet right? i know kids develop at different rates but there is still a normal/average range that is fair to expect. I think being barely able to sit and still wobbly neck is delayed to me. By 10 months, most kids are sitting, crawling, and many are pulling up and using a sippy cup at that point. I would definitely keep an eye on this little guy for delays....
I had a set of triplet boys a few years back where the biggest of the three was "floppy", very weak muscle tone. At about six months he had a physical therapist coming three days a week. By the time they turned 1, he had caught up with his siblings. Maybe he needs to be evaluated.
Tags:bottle issues
Reply Up