Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I'm This Many"
Rockgirl 12:13 PM 09-11-2013
Why does it bug me so much? But really--why don't parents teach their kids to say, "I'm three"? I'm fine with them holding up the appropriate number of fingers, but most of my dck's can't just tell you their age. They hold up fingers and say, "This many".

Just a vent. I probably should've put it in the venting thread.
littlemissmuffet 12:45 PM 09-11-2013
Totally annoys me too. I always correct them by asking "and how many is that?" and make them count it out and say "I'm three" (or whatever the age is)!
Rockgirl 12:58 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Totally annoys me too. I always correct them by asking "and how many is that?" and make them count it out and say "I'm three" (or whatever the age is)!
That's how I respond, as well. Hopefully it'll catch on!
Familycare71 01:01 PM 09-11-2013
Me too!!
MotherNature 04:15 PM 09-11-2013
It's just bad grammar... How many are you? doesn't really ask a question. How many what? We all know it's short for How many years old are you? but it's easier just to ask How old are you? It sounds better too.
MissAnn 04:28 PM 09-11-2013
Having a 4 year old lay down and put is feet in the air for mommy to take off his shoes bugs me the most of all.
JoseyJo 04:36 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Having a 4 year old lay down and put is feet in the air for mommy to take off his shoes bugs me the most of all.
Or a 5 year old here!
littlemissmuffet 05:16 PM 09-11-2013
WHAT?? I would never allow this. I would say "No billy, you sit up and show mom how you can take your shoes off by yourself." If he refused, I would tell mom that it's time she stopped removing his shoes because nobody else is going to do that for him (i.e. me, his kindy teacher, etc).
Starburst 06:23 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by when is naptime?:
Why does it bug me so much? But really--why don't parents teach their kids to say, "I'm three"? I'm fine with them holding up the appropriate number of fingers, but most of my dck's can't just tell you their age. They hold up fingers and say, "This many".

Just a vent. I probably should've put it in the venting thread.
I think to some extent the parents encourage it (subconsciously) because they think it's cute or funny. My cousins and brother used to teach my cousin's son to say things that they thought were cute or funny. One time my cousins (his mom and his aunt) had a Facebook video feud. It started because the aunt recorded a video of him saying "Cowboys *Pbbbth*" (*Pbbbth*= raspberry sound; :-P), because the Cowboys are the mom's favorite football team. Then his mom responded back with a video of him saying "9ers *Pbbbth*"; the 49s are the aunts favorite football team.
Leigh 07:30 PM 09-11-2013
WOW! I have two one-year olds here that can do THAT for themselves!
Unregistered 07:52 PM 09-11-2013
I personally don't mind the I'm this many. I will correct them but it doesn't bother me.
JenNJ 06:40 AM 09-12-2013
I think it is cute. I just ask them how many is that just to be sure they understand that three fingers = three years.
Rockgirl 07:05 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I think it is cute. I just ask them how many is that just to be sure they understand that three fingers = three years.
I think it can be, with the really littles. However, a dcg turned 5 this week, and I felt she should've been able to tell me she was 5.
Play Care 10:00 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by when is naptime?:
I think it can be, with the really littles. However, a dcg turned 5 this week, and I felt she should've been able to tell me she was 5.
When my own kids do things that they are way too old to do, I will tell them straight out "sweetie, that's only cute when a baby does that. It's not cute when you are 10"
I have a 6 yo dcb that starts talking baby talk as soon as his mom shows up. Nails on a chalk board. Luckily mom doesn't encourage it.
daycarediva 10:12 AM 09-12-2013
It doesn't bother me but I do correct them "You are how OLD?" "OOOOH, you are THREE years OLD! Next year you will be FOUR years old!"

Shoes on/off bugs me worse. I have a 4yo and a SIX yo that Mom does the shoes on/off. Drives.me.batty. especially when these are the kids who put them on in 5 seconds and start to help others when we go outside. BUT, I don't think it's my place to say anything to them. It doesn't affect me at all. Now if the child refused to do it themselves during my time, I would say something.
daycarediva 10:16 AM 09-12-2013
My biggest pet peeve today is parents who pass their absolutely irrational fears onto their children, and actually ENCOURAGE them to be fearful.

Ants.
Spiders.
The dark.
Thunder/lightning.

Those are LEARNED fears that can easily be avoided. While it's ok to have fears, why do you want your child to be fearful of things that don't warrant fear? It baffles me. I always teach about why we don't need to be afraid of things. I pick up the grossest bugs to show them that they aren't scary. We raise caterpillars, we have an ant farm, we had a worm farm, we talk about bees, what they do for us, WHY they sting and how we can avoid being stung, spiders eat mosquitoes , what thunder/lightning are, how the dark is the same as light, etc.
Tags:numbers, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up