Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Regular Use Space - My Bedroom?
knoxmomof2 12:57 PM 03-15-2016
Hi Does anyone -who doesn't have a napper in there- claim their own bedroom for regular use? If so, what are the circumstances? I'm trying to see if there are any allowances that would allow me to do so that I'm not thinking of.

I'm not storing any daycare gear, furniture, art supplies in there (I'm already using 1 exclusive closet, 1 regular use closet, under the stairs space and have an exclusive daycare and nap room to use so although there's a lot of supplies, that's already quite a bit) or anything obvious but I didn't previously realize that my laundry room was claimable, or the hallway where my h/w heater and hvac are so just wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.

We bought a house and moved out of a rental home halfway through the year so in between new measurements, navigating 2 form 8859s and their nuances and entering the brand new world of depreciation/ PMI, etc.... I'm a bit late getting my stuff together this year. Fun times! Tom Copeland has been an amazing source of information!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Unregistered 04:10 PM 03-15-2016
Some things that I use my own bedroom for are:
Paper work
Phone calls to clients/potential clients
Printer and phone are located in the room
Break room
Space for the dog to get a break from the kids
Thriftylady 04:42 PM 03-15-2016
I do little things so I can count it. My modem and router are in there. I store extra daycare blankets in there. I have a cabinet in there that has my daycare "gift closet" in it so gifts are stored there.
knoxmomof2 04:46 PM 03-15-2016
I definitely use my room for some of those. Thank you guys!
TomCopeland 11:32 AM 03-16-2016
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
Hi Does anyone -who doesn't have a napper in there- claim their own bedroom for regular use? If so, what are the circumstances? I'm trying to see if there are any allowances that would allow me to do so that I'm not thinking of.

I'm not storing any daycare gear, furniture, art supplies in there (I'm already using 1 exclusive closet, 1 regular use closet, under the stairs space and have an exclusive daycare and nap room to use so although there's a lot of supplies, that's already quite a bit) or anything obvious but I didn't previously realize that my laundry room was claimable, or the hallway where my h/w heater and hvac are so just wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.

We bought a house and moved out of a rental home halfway through the year so in between new measurements, navigating 2 form 8859s and their nuances and entering the brand new world of depreciation/ PMI, etc.... I'm a bit late getting my stuff together this year. Fun times! Tom Copeland has been an amazing source of information!!!!

Thanks in advance!
You can count any room as business use if it is used regularly for your business. Regular use means about 2-3 times per week. Children don't have to be in the room for it to be considered regularly used for your business. I've won audits for providers who claimed their own bedroom as regular use even when children did not enter the bedroom. These providers had a computer, desk, file cabinet or they stored day care items (books, toys, parent resources, etc.) in the room or closet.
Tags:deduction - bedroom, time space percentage, tom copeland
Reply Up