Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Want to Change to Only Teacher's Kids, But I Like My Other Families
Lil_Diddle 10:33 PM 08-06-2016
I was fortunate enough last year that all but one of my daycare families had a teacher for a parent. All but one was always picked up by 4:30, this little girl is always a pick up at 5:30. Making me rush my oldest daughter to practices and Girl Scouts. All but one of my families are off on no school days. And all but one of my families are off for the summer. In June the local elementary school offers summer school program, so for the month of June I had one child plus my own, for 10.5 hours. I took SA children for the remainder of the summer and I hated it and do not wish to do it again. I really want to consider switching to providing to teachers only. I have a great reputation and have had no problems filling these spots with this clientele. My concern is, the one family that is not with the school district, we are very close and have known each other years before we even had kids. She is a very good friend. I hate the thought of telling her I don't want to watch her daughter anymore. Her daughter is a very rambunctious toddler and it's exhausting for that extra hour every day, and those extra days during the year. And I keep thinking of all the things I could do with my own kids in the summer if I were not tied down. Any suggestions. I don't want to lose our friendship, but I do want a break from her child.
Play Care 05:50 AM 08-07-2016
In your case I would let mom know ASAP that although you have loved caring for her child, due to family obligations you are switching to school calendar schedule as of x date. Your new closing time will be 4:30 and you will only be open during the school year but closed for all breaks and vacations.
As such your last day providing care for Sally will be x date.

Just stress that it's a business decision that's in best interest for your family, etc.

She may be upset, but it is what it is. So long as she has plenty of notice, you are not being unprofessional. As business owners we are allowed to make changes to benefit US.

Good luck!
childcaremom 05:59 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In your case I would let mom know ASAP that although you have loved caring for her child, due to family obligations you are switching to school calendar schedule as of x date. Your new closing time will be 4:30 and you will only be open during the school year but closed for all breaks and vacations.
As such your last day providing care for Sally will be x date.

Just stress that it's a business decision that's in best interest for your family, etc.

She may be upset, but it is what it is. So long as she has plenty of notice, you are not being unprofessional. As business owners we are allowed to make changes to benefit US.

Good luck!

I just recently made the same decision. Best thing I ever did for my family.
KiwiKids 07:56 AM 08-07-2016
I would just be honest and hopefully she will realize that although you love her daughter very much, your own family's needs come first. I recently changed my hours and close earlier because my husband is working late afternoon until 1-3am. This leaves me as the only person to transport our own kids to after school activities etc. The needs of your own family change and that's not something to feel bad about.
Mike 11:37 AM 08-07-2016
I say you have 2 options:

First is to do like the others have said, just let her know you are making business changes. She may even be able to work around your new hours. She may be able to find someone else to pick her up at 4:30 and to watch her on off school days.

My second option is one I'm sure many will disagree with, but just remember, I haven't gone into day care yet. All I've done up to now is babysitting. I know there are differences, and that's basically my 2nd option. Outside of school daycare hours, babysit. Maybe charge a higher rate for those hours. Or charge normal rate, but outside of school hours, live your life around your family's schedule and just pretend she's part of the family. Maybe the mother will have to meet you somewhere at pickup time, or just get her when you get back home.

For option 2, the main question is, do you want less time watching her, or is it more the interference in your family life?
Controlled Chaos 02:25 PM 08-07-2016
Yep, I had to do this for a family friend not too long ago. We are still friends and hang out privately/not work related which is so much more fun

I stressed how difficult is was me to make the decision, how it was a business decision and how I was so grateful she was the type of person who would understand I have to do what is best for by family When you tell someone how awesome they are, they like to prove it.
Mike 05:00 PM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
When you tell someone how awesome they are, they like to prove it.

Positive words are always a good thing.
Lil_Diddle 10:16 PM 08-09-2016
Thank you for all the suggestions, I really want to do it. I just can't get up the nerve. She has become such a good friend, even closer now that I watch her daughter. It would just be nice to not rush on those days my daughter has activities. And that last hour of the day with only her daughter is longest hour of my day. And the month of June it just seem pointless to be open for 10 hours for the pay I get for one child. I'm starting to think maybe I can compromise and keep her for the school year (I already take Christmas break off) and she can find alternate summer care. I'll put off the conversation until spring I think.
Luke25 11:02 AM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Thank you for all the suggestions, I really want to do it. I just can't get up the nerve. She has become such a good friend, even closer now that I watch her daughter. It would just be nice to not rush on those days my daughter has activities. And that last hour of the day with only her daughter is longest hour of my day. And the month of June it just seem pointless to be open for 10 hours for the pay I get for one child. I'm starting to think maybe I can compromise and keep her for the school year (I already take Christmas break off) and she can find alternate summer care. I'll put off the conversation until spring I think.
I think that's a good plan. Just keep her and have her do alternate care for the summer. That way it's up to her if that will work. I would probably say something a little sooner, so she has plenty of time to find a spot somewhere else.
Good luck!
I want my next group to be all teachers too. It will be a while for me but I can't wait! Haha
Tags:teacher - schedule, terminate - feel bad
Reply Up