Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How much would you charge?
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:25 PM 09-14-2015
I was contacted by a mom looking for care for her 1 1/2 year old. She needs half day care for four hours a day, four days a week. I hadn't been taking half day enrollments, but I changed that and this is the first I've had ask for half day care. Two days a week she needs care for four hours in the morning, and two days a week she needs it in the afternoon. I normally charge $25/day for full day enrollments. What would you charge for half day? I'd like to charge for the whole day since it takes a full time spot, but I'm having a hard time getting kids enrolled so it's not like I have full timers knocking down my door. Plus there are so many other providers in my area who will probably do it a lot cheaper. SO, since I'm going to give her a half day rate, what would you charge if it was you?
jenboo 05:40 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I was contacted by a mom looking for care for her 1 1/2 year old. She needs half day care for four hours a day, four days a week. I hadn't been taking half day enrollments, but I changed that and this is the first I've had ask for half day care. Two days a week she needs care for four hours in the morning, and two days a week she needs it in the afternoon. I normally charge $25/day for full day enrollments. What would you charge for half day? I'd like to charge for the whole day since it takes a full time spot, but I'm having a hard time getting kids enrolled so it's not like I have full timers knocking down my door. Plus there are so many other providers in my area who will probably do it a lot cheaper. SO, since I'm going to give her a half day rate, what would you charge if it was you?
$15 or $20
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:10 PM 09-14-2015
Thank you! I really hope she's okay with what I quoted her Since it takes a full time spot, I want to make it worth it, but not charge too much either.
Unregistered 07:21 PM 09-14-2015
Yeah 1/2 day stinks! I would also do 15-20. You are losing income here. I would keep advertising for the spot and if you get a person interested for the full time slot I would tell your parent that you have to have preference over full timers and she has the option to go full time/ pay full time price to keep spot or you will have to enroll other family for the full time hours. My mother in law used to have a daycare and she did this a lot and rarely had to replace them. Most of the time they liked her so much they would pay for the full slot and still come 1/2 time or switch to full. But this was after the kid had been there for a while and everyone liked each other. You only have room for so many so you have to do what is right for you and your family. That is what your families are doing so you need to make sure you do the same.
Miss A 07:51 PM 09-14-2015
I too charge $25.00 for full day. I decided to charge $15.00 for half days, or for each additional child after the first, who pays the $25.00.
childcaremom 02:36 AM 09-15-2015
I charge the full day price because they are taking a full time spot and I will never be able to find someone that can fit the other half.

If you are worried for filling spots, I would do $20. You still need to be making money.

I would also make them aware that full time spots take precedence. So if a full timer was to come along, you would offer them the opportunity to go full time, otherwise risk losing their spot.
rosieteddy 05:40 AM 09-15-2015
I would not take less for a second child.I only had 6 slots and each child counted.A provider friend yoused to ask parents if they got a discount on Happy Meals,when yhey asked for sibling discounts.
ChelseaB 06:55 AM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I charge the full day price because they are taking a full time spot and I will never be able to find someone that can fit the other half.

If you are worried for filling spots, I would do $20. You still need to be making money.

I would also make them aware that full time spots take precedence. So if a full timer was to come along, you would offer them the opportunity to go full time, otherwise risk losing their spot.
Same
Second Home 09:23 AM 09-15-2015
I too would charge the full day rate .
littletots 02:38 PM 09-15-2015
I vote full rate, too.
Crazy8 02:45 PM 09-15-2015
If your full day is $25/day and you can afford it and use the enrollment I would do $20/day. My full day rate is $40 but half day (when/if I offer it) is $30/day because like you said you can't really fill around it but it does give me a bit of a break. I also make sure there are no pick ups/drop offs at incovenient times for me (lunch, nap, etc.).
Reply Up