Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Started Before They Were Licensed???? Help
MommyofThree 07:59 AM 12-31-2011
Ok so Next sat I am taking my CPR/FIRST AID class to become certified and then my inspection. But I have so many cliants that need me to start this week:{ But How many started a few weeks before they became licence? How long after the inspection will it take for me to say go a head you may watch children? Thanks
daycare 08:09 AM 12-31-2011
What state are you in?
Michelle 08:20 AM 12-31-2011
don't take care of kids before you get your license except for one family... some states let you take one family, some more without a license.
Here in Ca. the moment you pass your inspection, you can take kids.
sahm1225 08:41 AM 12-31-2011
I did and I only took part time so that I would be within my states legal guidelines. Depending on your state - I am in Illinois and after my inspection it still took 6 months to get my license (then another 6 months to get it reissued because they accidentally put ONLY 2nd floor instead of EXCLUDE 2nd floor... Fun stuff!)
Countrygal 09:41 AM 12-31-2011
I agree, know your state's guidelines. I took children well before being certified, but it is perfectly legal in my state as long as you don't have more than 3 unrelated children. This varies with every state. I live in WI.

My county is notorious for being slow and unhelpful and it took me three full months to become certified, even though I sent all paperwork back within TWO DAYS of receiving it. There was a two-week delay with my well, but beyond that, none of the delay was mine. My county is just slow as molasses.

From the day I had my home visit until the day I became certified was almost two months and it took me another month to receive my certificate! (it got lost in the mail and needed to be replaced - I called multiple times but it took them that long to replace it.)

So, basically, know your state's guidelines and do whatever you need to. Wishing you the best with your new venture! I love this life and wouldn't give it up!
MommyofThree 12:12 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
What state are you in?
New York. wHY
MommyofThree 12:14 PM 12-31-2011
tHANK YOU EVERYONE:} I can only have two:{
daycare 12:47 PM 12-31-2011
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
New York. wHY
I wanted to know where you lived because each state has different laws pertaining to your question you are asking
Abigail 01:38 PM 12-31-2011
It's crazy how your states are all SO SLOW. I guess I was told the fingerprinting results could take up to 3 months to get back, but I did those over a year ago when I didn't even have a place to do child care. I just wanted to get it out of the way. LOL.

The big thing was getting fingerprinted, then having the fire marshall come out (which required a prior furnace inspection we did without knowing it was even required just a week before since winter was arriving!), lastly getting licensing to come out but licensing required a lot of paperwork about the daycare to be completed prior.

I called licensing Monday for my list of requirements. Tuesday I called the fire marshall and he only comes out on Thursdays for daycare inspections and he was able to squeeze me in on Thursday. So I scheduled licensing to come out Friday morning and was told at the end of the walk-through she'll send in my paperwork and I'd be licensed (as long as my DH background check was clear, I've worked in child care in another daycare so I knew I was clear!)

My license came in the mail in about a week, but I was licensed the day she came out on Friday. Here I can have five children without a license, so we have many people who are not licensed because they don't want more than five. Some people get licensed because parents sometimes only want childcare homes that are regulated. Licensing is super easy though!

After 2 months of advertising, I currently will have 4 so I'm still not at capacity for a license requirement. I'm really happy I'm getting a family of siblings to begin or else I would be working for $3/hour which I would have hated! I just thought being licensed would get me kids fast, but it didn't. I blame it on lack of advertising and the time of year. I get emails a few times a week and hope it to continue until I can find toddlers because my infant spots are full.
WImom 02:07 PM 12-31-2011
here in Wi it I sent paperwork in in Aug. and was licensed in Jan. I could have only 3 kids not related. It sucked! Hopefully NY is faster.
MommyofThree 05:08 AM 01-01-2012
Any body from Ny that knows how fast?? It sucks that NY only lets you have two. If you get caught it could be 250 per day....Also is cpr/first aid easy??? lol I have to sit next sat for 6 hours so I hope I get taught something that I didnt know before since im going for nursing. Thanks ladies for your help.
Michelle 09:07 AM 01-01-2012
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
Any body from Ny that knows how fast?? It sucks that NY only lets you have two. If you get caught it could be 250 per day....Also is cpr/first aid easy??? lol I have to sit next sat for 6 hours so I hope I get taught something that I didnt know before since im going for nursing. Thanks ladies for your help.
CPR is pretty easy just remember the number of compression and breaths.
Alot of it is common sense...first aid especially.
Don't worry too much about the test, I have been re-certified for 15 years and I have never seen anyone fail. Some of the instructors make it fun actually and you get to kiss a man! (mannequin)
mdzn5440 03:04 PM 01-02-2012
i have been reading what you all have wrote. Can I be licensed before i get my home checked? Cause my plans were to get my license and then open the daycare. Can i do that? or no?
Unregistered 05:02 PM 01-02-2012
I started before I was licensed. I am in Minnesota and here you are allowed to take one family before you are licensed. The family I took actually paid me to quit my job because they were in a pinch. I just made up a separate contract made specifically for them until I was licensed and had other families, then once I was licensed and had other families enrolled I switched them to my regular contract. Check with your counties policies that would be the best place to get an answer specific to your location! Good luck! I started in October of 2011 and I love every minute of it!
awestbrook713 06:09 AM 01-03-2012
Which inspection are you getting done, I had two one from a fire inspector guy who told me what I needed to fix and then my licensor came out and made sure I had fixed the problems and did her inspection. The whole process took me about 6 months. Have you taken your health and safety course? I think that may have held me up because they didn't have one scheduled until 3 months after I started the process. I am in NY too. Hope yours goes faster then mine did.
MommyofThree 06:40 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Which inspection are you getting done, I had two one from a fire inspector guy who told me what I needed to fix and then my licensor came out and made sure I had fixed the problems and did her inspection. The whole process took me about 6 months. Have you taken your health and safety course? I think that may have held me up because they didn't have one scheduled until 3 months after I started the process. I am in NY too. Hope yours goes faster then mine did.
Waht part of NY are you in? I already have mine done the health and saftey . Now sat is cpr/first aid and hopefully inspection will be soon to follow.
Unregistered 09:43 AM 01-03-2012
I've been taking care of kids for years and have never been licensed. I know most of the people that doo daycare that I know are not
Tags:unlicensed
Reply Up