Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Must I Spell Everything Out?
Baby Beluga 07:42 AM 04-05-2016
I have a child who came in today doused in cologne. Not sure why the parents thought this would be appropriate. My nose is running and I am sneezing.

I have wiped this child down, changed his clothes and still no change.

Ugh, is this yet another thing I will have to add to my clothing and shoe guidelines?

Ariana 07:57 AM 04-05-2016
Did he spill it on himself? Maybe try washing his clothes out if it is really bothering you. ugh
MunchkinWrangler 08:42 AM 04-05-2016
I agree, if he spilled it or was playing with it, it lingers bad. Even though, I wonder if there was an accident with cologne, why didn't the parents mention the mishap?
finsup 08:53 AM 04-05-2016
I had a dad who would put it on his 3 month old. I was just like seriously?! Why?!
Unregistered 08:56 AM 04-05-2016
Cologne is poisonous if ingested. I would address this with the parent to find out if he is "playing" with it at home.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:54 AM 04-05-2016
Maybe?! You would be surprised what needs to be said. Some common sense stuff for the rest of the world, seems to escape parents. I have had one parent show up lately without taking their child to the potty or even dressing them : (((

So if he was playing in it, then I guess that's one thing. But it wouldn't be a bad suggestion to reference something like "due to allergy sensitives" blah, blah, blah as a policy. I mean I get that parents are busy and probably rushing in the morning, but come on. As I point out, it will be even harder when the kids start school.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 04-05-2016
I'd recommend adding it.

I am having to add a section about toddler glitter eye shadow, lipstick, cheek blush and temporary facial tattoos.

Always such fun....
LysesKids 10:00 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I have a child who came in today doused in cologne. Not sure why the parents thought this would be appropriate. My nose is running and I am sneezing.

Ugh, is this yet another thing I will have to add to my clothing and shoe guidelines?

I have been a FRAGRANCE FREE childcare home since 2010... believe me with my allergies and working with nothing babies I had to have a written policy.
Baby Beluga 10:21 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd recommend adding it.

I am having to add a section about toddler glitter eye shadow, lipstick, cheek blush and temporary facial tattoos.

Always such fun....
No way! That's crazy.

According to DCB dad sprayed him so "I would smell like dad" and it is concentrated by his neck. Whether DCB played in it after, I'm not sure.

I put him in extra clothes and washed the ones his was originally in, then wiped him down with a soapy washcloth. The smell is still so strong though. It's odd because perfumes usually don't bother me, but for some reason this one did. Thank goodness it's nice enough right now to have the windows open
Laurel 10:35 AM 04-05-2016
No way! That's crazy.

According to DCB dad sprayed him so "I would smell like dad" and it is concentrated by his neck. Whether DCB played in it after, I'm not sure.

I put him in extra clothes and washed the ones his was originally in, then wiped him down with a soapy washcloth. The smell is still so strong though. It's odd because perfumes usually don't bother me, but for some reason this one did. Thank goodness it's nice enough right now to have the windows open
I wouldn't write a policy about it, I would just tell them. "Please, no more cologne, the smell bothers me and it was so strong." Simple.

I didn't write policies about everything that came up as who wants to read all those policies? Just the really important stuff. This is the kind of thing you just tell them no about, imo.
Laurel 10:37 AM 04-05-2016
P.S. If they laugh and say "Well he just wanted to smell like dad" laugh back and say "Well he can smell like dad on the weekends but not here." End of discussion.
LysesKids 11:38 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I wouldn't write a policy about it, I would just tell them. "Please, no more cologne, the smell bothers me and it was so strong." Simple.

I didn't write policies about everything that came up as who wants to read all those policies? Just the really important stuff. This is the kind of thing you just tell them no about, imo.
Actually over 3/4 of my parents pick me because I do spell everything out... saves me loads of aggravation down the line too for the off the wall stuff like custody & fragrance. they love my policies page because it covers everything and it makes it easy for the meet & greet should they decide to send me their contact info after reading the website.
Scribbles 11:48 AM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Actually over 3/4 of my parents pick me because I do spell everything out... saves me loads of aggravation down the line too for the off the wall stuff like custody & fragrance. they love my policies page because it covers everything and it makes it easy for the meet & greet should they decide to send me their contact info after reading the website.
I agree. I am also required to have specific things in writing for parents. I think not having a handbook worked great when parents actually partnered with providers and this job was more or less just caregiving but with the times changing so much and providers being viewed as individual small businesses and parents suing you for everything, I think policies that are important SHOULD definitely be in writing.
Mandy 12:32 PM 04-05-2016

In this case I would say do add it to your guidelines with the addition that only one small dab on the wrist is allowed. If they still insist that their munchkin wants to smell like dad or mum, and one dab isnt enough, tell them that they can wear as much as they like on the weekends, but the dab on the wrist is for daycare . I can tell you from personal experience that one dab on the wrist is enough .

Good luck
Thriftylady 01:07 PM 04-05-2016
I would have had to send home. My allergies would not have handled that either would DD's allergies and asthma when she got home. I am not sure I would rewrite policies but I would let the parents in question know if it happened again they would have to take the child home, clean them up, and bring them back.
LysesKids 01:27 PM 04-05-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would have had to send home. My allergies would not have handled that either would DD's allergies and asthma when she got home. I am not sure I would rewrite policies but I would let the parents in question know if it happened again they would have to take the child home, clean them up, and bring them back.
I wrote up a policy because it's not just fragranced from perfume that gives me migraines & hives, but it's laundry soap fragrance, chemicals from fabric softener & similar. I'm sorry, but once certain fragrances are in here I go into asthma attacks within 5 minutes... not the best thing to happen in front of kids. I'm not closing down for a day because some parent decided their cologne was more important than my health, my inhaler can only help so much
Laurel 06:12 PM 04-05-2016
I wrote up a policy because it's not just fragranced from perfume that gives me migraines & hives, but it's laundry soap fragrance, chemicals from fabric softener & similar. I'm sorry, but once certain fragrances are in here I go into asthma attacks within 5 minutes... not the best thing to happen in front of kids. I'm not closing down for a day because some parent decided their cologne was more important than my health, my inhaler can only help so much
Well in your case it IS important and should be in the guidelines. However, I don't have allergies or asthma (although my husband does) so I wouldn't deem it important. I have never had it happen. Had it happened, I still don't like the smell of perfume, even a dab, plus with my husband having allergies like you, I would have just told them that. Never happened so it never occurred to me though.
sleepinghart 06:44 AM 04-06-2016

Well in your case it IS important and should be in the guidelines. However, I don't have allergies or asthma (although my husband does) so I wouldn't deem it important. I have never had it happen. Had it happened, I still don't like the smell of perfume, even a dab, plus with my husband having allergies like you, I would have just told them that. Never happened so it never occurred to me though.
(^bolding^ by me)
~I 100% agree with Laurel. I can't imagine having to write up a policy or something every time I have, or have had, an issue; it would just be overwhelming(..for both me & my clients I think) and a bit "too much" IMHO. Now, like Laurel says, in cases where the provider has severe allergies, I can totally see writing up a policy on this, but otherwise...no.

The parents might not even know this is an issue. Has it came up with them before?
Thriftylady 06:57 AM 04-06-2016
Luckily DD and I are not that sensitive. We can handle fabric softener and laundry soap in most cases. Although I do make my own laundry soap and don't use softener, if anything I use vinegar for that. If we were that sensitive, then I could see writing a policy.
Tags:cologne, excessive odor, perfume, policies, scents, smell
Reply Up