Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need an opinion about my time off
busyinohio 03:17 AM 06-23-2015
Good morning all!

I was just wondering how you would handle this. The most time I have ever taken off in the past 23 years (except for when my son was born 17 1/2 years ago) was 3 working days in a row. I am planning on taking 1 week off in July. I have an assistant who has been with me for 17 years who will be taking over the whole week while I'm gone.

In my contract, it states that I do not get paid for when I take off for sick days or vacation days. I do not have anything written about my assistant taking over since she has not done this before except for short periods of time such as doctor appointments, school meetings, etc. My question is, since my home will still be open for childcare during that week, should families still pay even if they choose not to send their children? One dcm thinks that if her kids do not come on some days that week, she should not have to pay.

Your input on this would be much appreciated!

Dawn
Laurel 06:28 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by busyinohio:
Good morning all!

I was just wondering how you would handle this. The most time I have ever taken off in the past 23 years (except for when my son was born 17 1/2 years ago) was 3 working days in a row. I am planning on taking 1 week off in July. I have an assistant who has been with me for 17 years who will be taking over the whole week while I'm gone.

In my contract, it states that I do not get paid for when I take off for sick days or vacation days. I do not have anything written about my assistant taking over since she has not done this before except for short periods of time such as doctor appointments, school meetings, etc. My question is, since my home will still be open for childcare during that week, should families still pay even if they choose not to send their children? One dcm thinks that if her kids do not come on some days that week, she should not have to pay.

Your input on this would be much appreciated!

Dawn
If parents wouldn't normally pay for days you are off then I think I might give them a choice. If they want to take off the whole week, then they don't pay. (I never charged for my vacation) If they want some days but not all of them they pay for them all as usual. They don't get to pick and choose if they don't normally do that when you are there. They either need care that week or they don't. Your assistant still needs her pay. You and your assistant need to know ahead of time too so you know whether to have her come or not. Maybe tell parents that you need to know if your assistant will be needed for the week you are gone so they have to let you know by such and such a date.

However, my provider friend took off a week and I watched her daycare children at my house which is about a 10 minute drive from her house. It was their choice to use me or not but if they didn't she still charged them. I don't think I could do that but they paid her and she paid me.

As an aside, you should take a vacation every single year. I took 2 weeks off a year and didn't have an assistant. I didn't take the 2 weeks together and no one left because of it in 20 years. They plan for it. My other provider friend didn't take a vacation in 20 years. She only took off 7 holidays per year. I can't even imagine. Every job has vacations. Don't cheat yourself. Rant over.

Laurel
mim 06:33 AM 06-23-2015
I would still make them pay. You are offering to keep the daycare open by your assistant whom I'm assuming they have met. So in my opinion, he daycare is open so if they choose to not bring their kids, that is their choice, but the care was there for them to use.
I have written in my hb "if I choose to keep the daycare open whether by my husband, mom or dad (my volunteers) and you choose for your child not to attend; there is no reduction in rates. "
You can always change your hb. I also have in my handbook "I reserve the right to immediately make changes to my policies at any time for any reason." The only time I must ignore 30dayd written notice is when I'm changing hours or rates.
Hope that helps.
mim 06:36 AM 06-23-2015
Sorry. On a side note, maybe change your wording to "if the daycare closes for vacation or sick days, parents do not pay."
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
Sorry. On a side note, maybe change your wording to "if the daycare closes for vacation or sick days, parents do not pay."
I agree.

If services are still available, I would require payment in full as normal.

Honestly, if I were you I'd just take time off and close.
Give your assistant the time off too. If you are off on vacation, it would kind of suck to be on vacation and still have daycare going on in your house.

If you are leaving to go on vacation, I'd be too stressed worrying about what is going on in my home while I was gone that it wouldn't be much of a vacation for me.
Thriftylady 07:02 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree.

If services are still available, I would require payment in full as normal.

Honestly, if I were you I'd just take time off and close.
Give your assistant the time off too. If you are off on vacation, it would kind of suck to be on vacation and still have daycare going on in your house.

If you are leaving to go on vacation, I'd be too stressed worrying about what is going on in my home while I was gone that it wouldn't be much of a vacation for me.
I agree with this, you are still providing services so they should pay. I also would not be able to relax though with care still going on in my home without me. It wouldn't really be about trusting my sub, as much as worrying about all the little things that could happen.
MarinaVanessa 09:54 AM 06-23-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
Yep change the wording.

Typically I would suggest giving the typical 2 week notice of change in a policy but in this situation I would just give everyone a notice that said that you were going on vacation and that your daycare will not be closed since your assistant will take over for you. If anyone gives you any trouble then you can just address it individually.

I doubt anyone will have an issue as long as their child care isn't being interrupted.
midaycare 10:12 AM 06-23-2015
I went on a cruise this year in March and had someone fill in for me. She comes in a few times a week for an hour or two, and she came in for 6 work days while I was gone. She loved the extra money, I loved not having to close.

I tell dcf's in my contract that I *may* have a sub available, but to plan for alternate care. I also give them the choice to still come (if the assistant is available) or to make alternate arrangements. I feel that they are paying for my care, and they are comfortable with me, so I shouldn't force a sub on them.

I only had one parent opt to find alternate care, and that was just because dcb was a baby.

I didn't think about my home or the daycare at all while I was gone.
Crazy8 01:12 PM 06-23-2015
I wouldn't want daycare going on in my house if I wasn't there for a whole week so I would just close. But if daycare is still open they should still pay, assuming they pay at other times whether they come or not. I would change the wording of your contract and also put in a little blurb about a substitute being used at your discretion as well.
Reply Up