Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-DS and Printing
mamamanda 05:14 PM 02-26-2016
My 4yo is what I guess you would call a self-learner. He teaches himself many things without direct adult instruction. He is a bit advanced intellectually and while I facilitate activities to promote learning, I am always amazed at the things that he knows and understands that I haven't introduced yet. Most of the time I think his ability to problem solve and figure things out on his own is an advantage to him, but I've been noticing that he struggles with handwriting a bit. I don't do a lot of worksheets with him as I feel learning should be more hands on at this level, but he does write quite a bit on his own. Since I haven't actually taught him how to print his letters he just figures out how to form them to make them match what they should look like. However, I'm noticing that he often starts at the bottom instead of the top or tries to form them w/o ever lifting the pencil and although all 4 & 5 year olds' handwriting looks somewhat sloppy, I think his are letters are particularly messy b/c of this.

I tried introducing him to some worksheets last week just to show him the proper way to form the letters, but he wasn't the least bit interested. How concerned do you think I should be about this? Should I continue encouraging him to work on proper formation or just let him do it his way for now? My concern is that he's been writing so much longer than many of his peers that when he does get to kindergarten it will be really hard for him to retrain himself to form the letters a different way. At the same time, I don't really want to make him do worksheets either. What do you suggest?
Thriftylady 05:20 PM 02-26-2016
I wouldn't force worksheets. My DCB who is turning 5 next month loves them, but because all my other kids are SA, I think he really loves the one on one attention. He also always wanted to start at the bottom though. I just reminded him every time he was writing "start at the top" and now he says it to himself lol. He's a little odd, I think he has some issues. But I would just try to catch him as he is writing and remind him to start at the top. I think it is more important right now that they are holding pens, pencils, markers and working on the motor skills personally.
spedmommy4 07:06 PM 02-26-2016
Look up handwriting without tears. They have some awesome hands on preschool learning materials available on their website. I have their CD's and some of the hands on materials for my classroom. It's helped the kids learn to form letters correctly.
mamamanda 05:12 AM 02-27-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Look up handwriting without tears. They have some awesome hands on preschool learning materials available on their website. I have their CD's and some of the hands on materials for my classroom. It's helped the kids learn to form letters correctly.
Thank you. I will check that out.
mamamanda 05:14 AM 02-27-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I wouldn't force worksheets. My DCB who is turning 5 next month loves them, but because all my other kids are SA, I think he really loves the one on one attention. He also always wanted to start at the bottom though. I just reminded him every time he was writing "start at the top" and now he says it to himself lol. He's a little odd, I think he has some issues. But I would just try to catch him as he is writing and remind him to start at the top. I think it is more important right now that they are holding pens, pencils, markers and working on the motor skills personally.
This is how I feel about it too for the most part. I'm just thinking by the time he goes to Kindergarten he'll have been forming all of his letters for over a year. Seems like a long time to have something ingrained in your mind and then try to learn it a new way. He does hold his pencil correctly and can draw with great detail so maybe I should just quit worrying about it.
Thriftylady 05:33 AM 02-27-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
This is how I feel about it too for the most part. I'm just thinking by the time he goes to Kindergarten he'll have been forming all of his letters for over a year. Seems like a long time to have something ingrained in your mind and then try to learn it a new way. He does hold his pencil correctly and can draw with great detail so maybe I should just quit worrying about it.
Now I wonder if this is common. I wonder if many kids go to kindy starting at the bottom? Just wondering if it is a normal "habit" they get into or the normal "way" kids seem to do it.
mamamanda 01:19 PM 02-27-2016
I'm kind of excited. I came across an alphabet sticker/activity book today! It has several pages devoted to each letter and does have a small section to practice proper letter formation on each page, but it also has other activities including coloring, placing stickers, circling, etc. Ds LOVES sticker/activity books right now and this one looks more like what he naturally gravitates to instead of a "work book." Maybe this will be a fun alternative way for him to work on this. Keeping my fingers crossed that he's as excited as I am next week!
mamamanda 01:22 PM 02-27-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Now I wonder if this is common. I wonder if many kids go to kindy starting at the bottom? Just wondering if it is a normal "habit" they get into or the normal "way" kids seem to do it.
It does make you wonder. It's really intriguing to me to watch my son when he's busy working. He figures out how to do it, but sometimes it just seems so much harder than it needs to be. I am curious why they start at the bottom and if there's a logical process there or what. I find that ds typically has a logical thought process behind his choices, even if they didn't naturally occur to me.
Tags:gifted child, self learner
Reply Up