Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gotta Love No Call/No Shows...Not
SilverSabre25 04:50 AM 04-04-2011
First for an interview this weekend, now one of my dcfamilies.

*sigh*

I am too young to actually remember the days when common courtesy was actually common, and people actually RSVP'd to invitations and called when they were going to be late, etc, but still--I read, I know those days once existed.

As for the dcfamily that are over one hour late with no notice...I'm half tempted to pretend not to be here if/when they do finally show up. And I'm wondering whether they WILL actually show up or if they're gone for good.
wdmmom 04:56 AM 04-04-2011
I have it specifically stated in the contract that daycare families pay for the day regardless of attendance and if a 1 hour notice isn't provided that DCK won't be coming, I charge a $10 convenience fee on top of it. It also states that 3 days of NCNS terms the contract and they will be liable for their normal rate, convenience fees, any applicable late charges, notice (since it wasn't given), etc.

I would play "mother hen" and call them saying you are worried, ask if everything is okay and if DCK's are attending today.
mickey2 04:57 AM 04-04-2011
Sorry about your interview.

How long have you had this dc family? Is this a regular occurrence with them? Why are you wondering whether they WILL actually show up or if they're gone for good?

I would be very upset and let them know it.
SilverSabre25 05:03 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have it specifically stated in the contract that daycare families pay for the day regardless of attendance and if a 1 hour notice isn't provided that DCK won't be coming, I charge a $10 convenience fee on top of it. It also states that 3 days of NCNS terms the contract and they will be liable for their normal rate, convenience fees, any applicable late charges, notice (since it wasn't given), etc.

I would play "mother hen" and call them saying you are worried, ask if everything is okay and if DCK's are attending today.
My families pay regardless of whether they're here or not as well, unless they call first--then they can use a vacation day. The convenience fee is a good idea though; I'll have to give that one some thought.

Originally Posted by Children First:
Sorry about your interview.

How long have you had this dc family? Is this a regular occurrence with them?
I would be very upset and let them know it.
This is the 9 mo dcg's family that I've had so much trouble with in the 2 months she's been here. They haven't done anything quite like this before--but have been late, and were originally supposed to get here at 7:30 but are never here before 8 or 8:15.

If this isn't a sign that they've dumped me for someone else (and given some of the questions/concerns/weird things they said way back at the beginning, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they did), then I will definitely be letting them know--and they are definitely paying for this day. Actually, even if they do NOT ever come back, I'm entitled to 2 weeks' pay soooo...this might turn out to be an interesting adventure for me.
godiva83 05:31 AM 04-04-2011
I agree with you the lack of common courtesy, respect, and manners seem to have disappeared with the majority of society. Ppl. Tend to see our time not as valuable as their own. If they are late, oh well, if they aren't coming- who cares. It is very sad and disrespectful. BUT I could never imagine just being dropped like that! That would be awful and I would defiantly be on them for the 2wk payment. WOW good luck.
cheerfuldom 05:34 AM 04-04-2011
I have been dropped like that before.

Everyone pays for every day regardless of whether they are here or not.
momofboys 05:36 AM 04-04-2011
I'm sorry! That stinks. . . I hope they contact you!
SilverSabre25 05:39 AM 04-04-2011
Called the family, left a message. We'll see if they call back and if they do, what they say.

I'm not positive, obviously, that I've been dropped with no notice, but it would NOT shock me, somehow. Make me angry, heck yeah! but not exactly shock me.

Oh well, on the bright side it's an easy day with only two dcks...
wdmmom 05:42 AM 04-04-2011
I see small claims court in the near future!
SilverSabre25 06:19 AM 04-04-2011
I see small claims court in the near future!
I am starting to think that as well! Still no call back from mom. Guess I'll be spending naptime poking through the forum for advice on drawing up a letter about it...just in case.

Already posted a new CL ad.
SilverSabre25 09:16 AM 04-04-2011
what time is it?

sorry that was just to get what time the forum has vs. what time I actually have about something.
Unregistered 09:28 AM 04-04-2011
I had an interview no call no show me too. What is wrong with people? It takes longer to set up the interview than to call and say you can't make it for ______ reason. I should have guessed though as dkd set it up and didnt even ask rates, how many in care etc.

Someone posted that they dont even give out their address until 1 hour prior to the interview time. Does anyone have any other good ideas for not getting stiffed when you have an interview planned?
SilverSabre25 09:41 AM 04-04-2011
Okay, so heard from the dad...dcg not coming back effective immediately and the dad pretty much stated expressly that they won't pay me. I told him that in that case I would be taking them to small claims court. He said that he would be advising his lawyer of the situation and that he "wishes things could have ended more professionally".

*sigh* Now I get a new adventure...I'll be posting a new thread later asking for help with the whole seeking monies owed thing. I need time to process this.
marniewon 09:57 AM 04-04-2011
Did I miss a whole thread? Dad wishes things could have ended more professionally? Does he think you were unprofessional? Because otherwise, they are the ones behaving unprofessionally.
SilverSabre25 10:02 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Did I miss a whole thread? Dad wishes things could have ended more professionally? Does he think you were unprofessional? Because otherwise, they are the ones behaving unprofessionally.
nope, didn't miss anything. That's what he said...and that's what I thought too (that they're behaving unprofessionally). So I'm still scratching my head over that comment.
PitterPatter 11:16 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
First for an interview this weekend, now one of my dcfamilies.

*sigh*

I am too young to actually remember the days when common courtesy was actually common, and people actually RSVP'd to invitations and called when they were going to be late, etc, but still--I read, I know those days once existed.

As for the dcfamily that are over one hour late with no notice...I'm half tempted to pretend not to be here if/when they do finally show up. And I'm wondering whether they WILL actually show up or if they're gone for good.
Hiding in the house, I can see it telling the kids "shhh"

I had that prob a couple yr ago and put a fee in my contract after a parent who knew we were to leave for the zoo at 10:00am chose to take her time getting here and didn't show up until NOON! Of course the kids missed the zoo trip all due to her so I now have this is my contract:

If your child will be arriving late for any reason, please inform me as soon as possible so the day’s activities won't be held up waiting for your child to arrive. It is not fair to the other children in daycare to sit and wait for late arrivals or a child that may not even show up at all. If your child arrives more than 30 minutes late, a $5 fee will be applied. We have schedules to keep.
Also I do not accept any drop offs or pick ups during meal times as it would require me to leave the children unattended at the table.
PitterPatter 11:29 AM 04-04-2011

Becareful how often u use that though. I use to do that "mother hen" phone call, and after a while it became expected. I was barked at by a parent when I didn't call to see if she was coming. She had overslept. She finally got here and told me "You should have called me. Now I am late for work and I may be fired and u will lose a child from your daycare if I don't have a job." I asked her where in our contract does it state that I am required to provide a wake up call service? She apologized later that day.
Reply Up