Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question about State Assistant Client with a Co-payment
Unregistered 07:35 AM 12-15-2014
Wondering what will be the state do to the parent if I call and tell them she isn't paying her copay? She only owes $ 22 a week but doesn't pay it she is three weeks behind. I want to term her and probably will I just don't want her to do the same thing to another provider. Will the state kick her off assistance? What are your expirences?
craftymissbeth 07:39 AM 12-15-2014
What state are you in?

In Kansas, the state doesn't get involved in these matters. It is our responsibilities to uphold our contract agreements and go through the court system for moneys owed. Then again, we don't really have "co-pays" here... we just have what the state gives the parents to pay us and then the parent is responsible for paying the difference if there is one.
Cradle2crayons 07:44 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Wondering what will be the state do to the parent if I call and tell them she isn't paying her copay? She only owes $ 22 a week but doesn't pay it she is three weeks behind. I want to term her and probably will I just don't want her to do the same thing to another provider. Will the state kick her off assistance? What are your expirences?
In Mississippi they REVOKE their childcare assistance for non payment of copays. So, it you report her and term her, she will have to pay out of pocket at the next provider until she pays you. Then she can re apply for assistance.
Annalee 08:06 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
In Mississippi they REVOKE their childcare assistance for non payment of copays. So, it you report her and term her, she will have to pay out of pocket at the next provider until she pays you. Then she can re apply for assistance.
same here
Unregistered 08:33 AM 12-15-2014
I'm in Iowa if that helps
Cradle2crayons 08:38 AM 12-15-2014
I'm in Iowa if that helps
All I can say is call Them and ask. I think every state is different on how much they care about copayment.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 12-15-2014
In my state, the parent co-pay is the FIRST part of the child care cost. Parents are required to pay their co-pay on time to me BEFORE I allow care to continue.

If the parent owed $22 per week (or whenever) YOU should be denying care until the co-pay is paid.
Leigh 09:32 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In my state, the parent co-pay is the FIRST part of the child care cost. Parents are required to pay their co-pay on time to me BEFORE I allow care to continue.

If the parent owed $22 per week (or whenever) YOU should be denying care until the co-pay is paid.

You shouldn't be accepting the child without the copay being paid up front.

In my state, if a client receiving assistance doesn't pay, they are unable to receive assistance at any provider until the one that they owe money to is paid in full.
Heidi 11:02 AM 12-15-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

WI doesn't involve themselves, either. I've gotten a lot stricter about it now. They have to give me a $50 deposit at contract signing to cover their first co-pays. Everyone else give me 2 whole weeks, so I figure if an assisted family really wants me, they'll find $50.
Meeko 11:18 AM 12-15-2014
Co-pay is due in full BEFORE any money from the state kicks in.

I currently do not have any state kids, but used to.

Some parents think that because the state is paying $*** in advance on the first of the month (this is how Utah state pays), they can wait until the end of the month to pay the rest due.

Wrong! I make it clear that I don't care how much the state is paying. The parent must pay their part FIRST. I won't tend the child without it.

The state actually advises us to do it this way, even though we don't have to.

However, if a parent does not pay their co-pay, they are denied state funding until they do.
Unregistered 07:34 AM 01-14-2015
FYI for Iowa providers the state won't do anything to daycare parents on assistance that owe a copay. I talked to state this morning they said she would get kicked off if she were still attending my daycare. I said well she owes me money so no I wasn't going to keep her. So she is no doing the same thing to some other provider 😔 I think I will no longer take state pay clients.
nanglgrl 12:56 PM 01-14-2015
FYI for Iowa providers the state won't do anything to daycare parents on assistance that owe a copay. I talked to state this morning they said she would get kicked off if she were still attending my daycare. I said well she owes me money so no I wasn't going to keep her. So she is no doing the same thing to some other provider 😔 I think I will no longer take state pay clients.
I'm in Iowa as well. In the future I would suggest always making the parent pay ALL daycare fees until you have their paperwork from the state. If a par t say they applied, make them pay until you get the paperwork. I dot his and haven't had one parent not enroll because of it. Then once the state starts paying instead of refunding them any overages, use that towards their co-pay. If the state has them at no-copay keep the money as a deposit towards when they have to renew with the state because often there will be a lapse in when their contract is up with the state and when you get the renewal paperwork.
You are correct, Iowa will not do anything to a parent who doesn't pay their copay. We are also not allowed to charge them more than the state pays (plus any copay that the state determines if they determine the family has to pay a copay).
Tags:co-pay, iowa, state assistance, subsidy - iowa, subsidy issues
Reply Up