Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toddler Clothing and Teaching Self Help Skills
Indoorvoice 06:04 AM 04-14-2016
All the parents know that we work a lot on self help skills here and the biggest one is dressing and undressing. Yet I still have people sending in coats and shoes that are too difficult for their ages like denim jackets with buttons for 2 year Olds and tie shoes or shoes that are too small. All of my kids 2 and up CAN get dressed for outside by themselves with appropriate clothing, but we are adding on several minutes to getting ready to go outside because I need to button difficult jackets and tie shoes. Is it over the top of me to ask parents to send in easy clothing, or should I just accept it's part of my job? I have difficulty drawing the line. I'm not really upset with helping, it's just that we could spend a lot more time outside if they could do most of it themselves.
Boymom 07:30 AM 04-14-2016
I seriously could have typed this word for word! And what gets me is when the parent wants their kid to get potty trained as soon as possible, but they put tight jeans on him AND he is wearing cowboy boots that he can't get on his feet, much less zip up! I mean this is Texas and all, but come on!!! And I have another dcb that is 3 that gets carried in (which is a whole other story) and he is wearing pj's at 8 am. Time to fix my contract lol!
Snowmom 08:09 AM 04-14-2016
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect parents to "help" their child be more independent with self help skills by setting them up for success.... i.e.; proper clothing

If it were me, I'd either type up a memo, write on my communication board or newsletter addressing the issue.

Dear Parents:
I really need your help. As a group, we've been working on self-help skills. This skill builds their confidence by becoming more independent & self reliant. In order to accomplish this, they need clothing that is easy to manage themselves, which is where I need your help. If you could help your child choose daily clothing that is easy to put on/off, it would really help your child as well as the entire group. Please refrain from any complicated clothing such as buttons, tight clothing or tied shoes.
Thanks!
childcaremom 08:17 AM 04-14-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect parents to "help" their child be more independent with self help skills by setting them up for success.... i.e.; proper clothing

If it were me, I'd either type up a memo, write on my communication board or newsletter addressing the issue.

Dear Parents:
I really need your help. As a group, we've been working on self-help skills. This skill builds their confidence by becoming more independent & self reliant. In order to accomplish this, they need clothing that is easy to manage themselves, which is where I need your help. If you could help your child choose daily clothing that is easy to put on/off, it would really help your child as well as the entire group. Please refrain from any complicated clothing such as buttons, tight clothing or tied shoes.
Thanks!
I have done this in the past and will do it again in the future if need be. I always approach it as being beneficial for the child because xyz therefore please ensure that the items sent in are ones that can be easily put on/off by your child.
Cat Herder 08:18 AM 04-14-2016
Truthfully, it is easier to manage YOUR needs yourself than expect the parents to. Not a popular perspective these days, but worth it's weight in stress prevention.

I know what ages I provide care for. I know what sizes kids in that age group wear. I know what kind of clothing I prefer, to make my life easier. I know where to get them cheap.

I change them into my stuff when they get here. I change them back into their street clothes for going home.

Crisis, stress and nasty grams averted.
NillaWafers 08:24 AM 04-14-2016
Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine. I have one girl who is just turning 3 and she always come in like skinny jeans and tie on shoes. Guess who has to help her put her clothes back on after pottying? I feel like I am irrationally annoyed by it though, isn't that a part of running a daycare?

I did go and amend my future contract to say kids must be wearing easy to remove clothes while potty training/trained. Also if they are older and can't button buttons or do belts don't send them with them.

TXhomedaycare 12:09 PM 04-14-2016
I was so going to post this a few days ago. I have a potty training 2 yo old girl who only wears skinny jeans and pants and a 2 yo boy who only has lace up shoes and the list goes on. This drives me nuts for some reason because I have noticed that they do not try and do things by themselves because they always feel they need help and in most cases they do. I have talked to the parents added it to my handbook and sent notes home but they still keep doing it. I have thought about going to the store and getting them clothes and shoes but a part of me feels that is too much and I am stepping on the parents toes. If they are not concerned after being informed I will just focus on the things I can control.
Dilley Beans 04:08 PM 04-14-2016
I specifically say in my hand book that children must come in shoes that they can completely put on by themselves. If they can't tie shoes then they don't come in time shoes. I have one mom who doesn't get it but after several times of her having to do it herself at pickup, she's figured out that his shoes need to be slip on are Velcro.
Ariana 05:21 PM 04-14-2016
I just bought my daughter a cute little spring jacket from OshKosh and lo and behold when I got home I realized it was button snap up! No zipper I was pretty miffed but it was already bought. My daughter is three and there is no way she can do 7 snaps up by herself. Lesson learned!

I don't think parents have the same perspective as we do as caregivers. Case in point the above scenario. It is only because I'm a caregiver that it even registered for me as being annoying kwim?

As for potty training I have it in my contract that kids must wear easy to pull on and off pants. Kid jeans are the bane of my existance!
Unregistered 04:32 PM 04-16-2016
Skinny jeans can be a pain. Otherwise I don't worry about much else. No matter the coat my 2's can't button or zip. It's great when kids have slip in shoes. If they don't I don't stress about it.
laundrymom 04:58 PM 04-16-2016
If this happens here I put spare clothes on them. When parents ask if they had an accident I reply w
No. They didn't. But they couldn't redress themselves after toilet oh so I changed them.
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine. I have one girl who is just turning 3 and she always come in like skinny jeans and tie on shoes. Guess who has to help her put her clothes back on after pottying? I feel like I am irrationally annoyed by it though, isn't that a part of running a daycare?

I did go and amend my future contract to say kids must be wearing easy to remove clothes while potty training/trained. Also if they are older and can't button buttons or do belts don't send them with them.

Tags:clothing - issues, clothing policies
Reply Up