Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accurate temps with scan thermometers??
PB&J 07:24 AM 02-17-2021
As part of Covid precautions we take everyone’s temperatures daily at least twice. In the past, we used digital thermometers but that is way too time consuming for this purpose.

We purchased three different forehead scanners. Two are “point and shoot” and don’t touch skin, and one rubs across the forehead temple-to-temple. With all three, our “normal” readings are constantly 97.1 or 97.3 or rarely 97.9. I’ve noticed this when I go places that scan me, as well. Sooooo.... when do they have a “fever”?? If they come in and our scanner shows 98.6, to me that means they are already a degree higher than normal. I question parents about symptoms but hear “well their temperature is perfect!” I feel like if I get a reading of 99, that would be a fever to exclude, but I know the parents will argue it. Everyone seems to have a clear runny nose (“teething” of course) or the occasional cough... both slight enough to attend, until maybe paired with this elevated temperature. Am I worrying about nothing? With these scanner thermometers, have you revised your “exclusion” thresholds?
Tags:health screen, illness policy, temperature
Up