Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Birthday Parties During Daycare?
newtodaycare22 10:12 AM 01-22-2013
Most of my kids have birthday parties on the weekends, with their families. This week I have a girl turning 4 and mom asked if she could just bring cake to celebrate. It's FREEZING here this week (I think it says "feels like 6" outside), so we are going to be doing indoor activities during the week. I was already considering bringing them to a jumping place and now I think I'll just do it on the girl's birthday, for something special.

Do you think other parents will be jealous? Like I'm doing something extra for this girl and not their kid? All kids will obviously reap the benefits! lol Thanks for opinions. I hope it is warmer there then it is here!
Play Care 10:23 AM 01-22-2013
I wouldn't tell the parents you are going to the jump place *for* the child's birthday, because it might cause hurt feelings. If anyone were to ask I would say something like "We had already planned the bounce house outing and it just happens to be on Susie's birthday, isn't that awesome?!" Essentially something that says while it's wonderful it is Susie's b-day, you would be going to the bounce house regardless. I know some of my former clients would be the type to expect something similar when their child's b-day came around.
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Most of my kids have birthday parties on the weekends, with their families. This week I have a girl turning 4 and mom asked if she could just bring cake to celebrate. It's FREEZING here this week (I think it says "feels like 6" outside), so we are going to be doing indoor activities during the week. I was already considering bringing them to a jumping place and now I think I'll just do it on the girl's birthday, for something special.

Do you think other parents will be jealous? Like I'm doing something extra for this girl and not their kid? All kids will obviously reap the benefits! lol Thanks for opinions. I hope it is warmer there then it is here!
I agree with previous poster. I wouldn't make mention of the reason why you are doing something special. As long as all the kids are getting to participate, it shouldn't matter why you are going to the jumpy place.

*side note.....definitely NOT warmer here compared to there. We are at -24F actual temperature here with windchills making temps feel like -40F. Brrrr!
spud912 01:37 PM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
*side note.....definitely NOT warmer here compared to there. We are at -24F actual temperature here with windchills making temps feel like -40F. Brrrr!
Wow that is ridiculous!! Right now we are at 75* with a high of 78*. Next Monday we will have a "cold" front and the high will only be 59*. Brrr
littlemissmuffet 01:44 PM 01-22-2013
It's been -40/45 here too! Terrible!

I wouldn't do anything special for this particular birthday - because even if you don't mention it, guaranteed one of the kids will and the parents are going to wonder why their kid didn't/doesn't get to go on special outings for their birthdays!
Bkind 01:47 PM 01-22-2013
i agree playing with fire here
Mom&Provider 03:26 PM 01-22-2013
Its a nice idea, but I dont think I would do it on this childs birthday either. As a pp'er said, it takes one kid to go home and spill the beans to make it an issue for you. Even if you didn't say specifically that it was for X's birthday, the fact that there is a cake involved makes it obivous for almost all kids!

I would allow the cake and just do the jumpy thing on another day this week, so the two weren't together as one special event.
canadiancare 03:40 PM 01-22-2013
I don't accept cakes from home for birthdays. Instead every birthday the kids and I bake and decorate our own cupcakes. That way it is the same across the board for all kids.
Meeko 05:47 PM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I don't accept cakes from home for birthdays. Instead every birthday the kids and I bake and decorate our own cupcakes. That way it is the same across the board for all kids.
We can't have cakes from home at all. It's a reg.
Parents are only allowed to bring individually wrapped, commercially prepared food into the daycare if it is to be shared.

So homemade oatmeal cookies are out. Packaged sugar crap is fine....

I do understand their reasoning tho'. We have no way of knowing the condition of the kitchen that cooked the food. We don't want sick kids.
canadiancare 04:21 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
We can't have cakes from home at all. It's a reg.
Parents are only allowed to bring individually wrapped, commercially prepared food into the daycare if it is to be shared.

So homemade oatmeal cookies are out. Packaged sugar crap is fine....

I do understand their reasoning tho'. We have no way of knowing the condition of the kitchen that cooked the food. We don't want sick kids.
True and while I can guarantee my kitchen is "nut free" I have no way of knowing that there isn't cross contamination in another kitchen.
Tags:birthday party
Reply Up