Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>play in front or backyard at pickup time?
Peaches 11:03 AM 03-10-2015
At pick up time, do you have kids play in front or back yard? Usually I have kids play in back yard during day, and front yard towards pick up time. Most my toys are in the back though so I am always shuffling toys around... Where do you all usually have kids play at pick up time?
Play Care 11:12 AM 03-10-2015
I am reversed, but mostly because I live in a hill and my front yard slopes. I also don't have a fence. In the front I keep the ride on toys, bikes, and scooters. We do that in the morning when I'm not expecting anyone so no cars. The top of my driveway is the only real flat spot. In the summer the front is shaded in the AM, and the back gets full sun so that's another reason why front is morning only.

I prefer to be in the back for afternoon pick up. Parents just come around to the back. This way I'm not worried about cars pulling in and backing up. I have more toys there and it has some shade in the warmer months.
Second Home 11:47 AM 03-10-2015
I have the dck play in the front before pick up . I have found that kids do not want to leave the swings etc.. if we are in the back at pick up .At pick up time I just want them to be picked up and not the usual fight for the parents to get them to leave . I keep a round tote full of smaller toys ( jump rope , chalk , bubbles, frizbee etc..) in the tote which is put away easily when all the dck are gone .
rosieteddy 12:59 PM 03-10-2015
I always went for a short walk about 15 min before pick-up.The kids were holding onto stroller and after they were in the car I would give a sticker.This really cut down on the hanging around at the end of the day in the yard.
Play Care 01:08 PM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
At pick up time, do you have kids play in front or back yard? Usually I have kids play in back yard during day, and front yard towards pick up time. Most my toys are in the back though so I am always shuffling toys around... Where do you all usually have kids play at pick up time?
I want to mention, there is nothing wrong with telling the kids "This is what we have to play with now. Tomorrow when you come back you can play with the ________. "
Especially if you've been playing all day in the back and have moved to the front to make dismissal easier.
It's OKAY for the kids not to have every single toy at their disposal every minute of the day - that's a fast way for toys/equipment to get "boring."
Meyou 06:33 AM 03-11-2015
We play in the backyard at pickup when the lawn is dry and the front yard if it's snow covered or muddy. I have more toys in the back but I only have things they play with at front yard pickup in the front so they don't get bored with the limited supply.
Rockgirl 06:50 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I want to mention, there is nothing wrong with telling the kids "This is what we have to play with now. Tomorrow when you come back you can play with the ________. "
Especially if you've been playing all day in the back and have moved to the front to make dismissal easier.
It's OKAY for the kids not to have every single toy at their disposal every minute of the day - that's a fast way for toys/equipment to get "boring."
I couldn't agree more! Sometimes I wait awhile before getting out any outside toys, just so they will run and play first.
jenboo 08:35 AM 03-11-2015
Back yard. Front isn't fenced.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:55 AM 03-11-2015
I wish I had a bigger porch so we could be out front at pick-up. These days, I have all the kids come back inside from the back yard by 5:00. When we are outside, everyone will hang around chatting and letting the kids play until the last kid's parent is here. I'm an old crab and just want them to take their kid and GET OUT (insert Eddie Murphy's stand-up bit voice here). Socialize on your own time. I only get paid to entertain children, not the grown-ups, too.

Out front, I don't think they'd hang around long, where children could not run free.
Unregistered 10:03 AM 03-11-2015
My play area is more in the size not the front or back. My front is to close to the road and back is to close to a big hill. This will be in my first spring/summer in the space. Winter has proven to be difficult with 6 foot snow banks in my yard.
melilley 10:11 AM 03-11-2015
For me, it depends on what children are here. If I have my 1 year olds plus others, we go in the back, but if I only have older kids or 1 young and some older, we will go in front.
Crazy8 10:43 AM 03-11-2015
I make sure we are in the house 15 min. before pick ups begin. My kids are all 3 and under. I had too many issues with kids running away from mom, or mom trying to talk to me and other kids running off, etc. etc. And then mom still had to go inside to sign them out, get their lunch bag, etc. Was just too much of a pain, so we go out for a bit after nap but come in before the first scheduled pick up. If its just my 2 later pick up kids we may go play in the driveway for a bit.
CraftyMom 12:22 PM 03-11-2015
If we are outside it is the back, kind of. Our yard is L-shaped, running down the side of the garage and behind the house, the whole thing is fenced. So if we are on the side I can see the parents and just hand them their child through the gate. If we are in the back it is more of a challenge because the kids will often run off not wanting to leave. Depending on who is here and what time they are leaving, we might be inside to make pick up faster.

They all leave at different times, only 2 leave close together.
Reply Up