Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>24 Hour Daycare?
MyAngels 06:30 AM 05-14-2012
I wonder how long it will be before this catches on in the US?

Unless it already has?

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...e-service?lite
kathiemarie 07:31 AM 05-14-2012
Wow. The part that got me was you could leave your child for a year! Why have kids...
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 05-14-2012
We have something similiar here. It is called Crisis Nursery and is intended for parents to use if they have any type of situation in their lives such that requires care on a more long term basis.

It is also used by parents who simply feel they need a break from the stresses of parenting.

The intent of this program was to help prevent abuse and behaviors that could possible lead to abuse but is also used for medical emergencies and other situations where families find they need daycare for more than a few hours or outside the normal child care hours.
countrymom 08:48 AM 05-14-2012
we have providers who first start out that offer 24 hour care, doesn't last long. I agree, why have kids if you want to dump them off.
MyAngels 08:51 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have something similiar here. It is called Crisis Nursery and is intended for parents to use if they have any type of situation in their lives such that requires care on a more long term basis.

It is also used by parents who simply feel they need a break from the stresses of parenting.

The intent of this program was to help prevent abuse and behaviors that could possible lead to abuse but is also used for medical emergencies and other situations where families find they need daycare for more than a few hours or outside the normal child care hours.
We have a crisis nursery here, too, but I don't think that's the intent behind this place.

This comes across as a place where you can drop your kids at any time of day (or night), for as long as you want (up to a year!) for any reason at all.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
We have a crisis nursery here, too, but I don't think that's the intent behind this place.

This comes across as a place where you can drop your kids at any time of day (or night), for as long as you want (up to a year!) for any reason at all.
I wonder what the rules are for abandonment? I mean how long could a child realistically be left without being considered abondoned? Seems like something like that could or most definitley would have a profound effect on a child.

Are the parents required to visit, if so, how often? Who pays for the expenses of "raising" the child? What a truly odd concept.

How very sad....
Christian Mother 09:13 AM 05-14-2012
Parents are "invited to leave their children with us for a considerable period of leave from one week to one year

Holy smokes!!
AnneCordelia 09:16 AM 05-14-2012
Wow!!

There is a 24 hour daycare in my town but the lady who runs it offers shifts within the 24 hours. This way, she has no more than the legal 5 children (here in Ontario) but because they stagger their start/end times she has 20 clients!

Anyway, the law here in Ontario makes it illegal to leave your child in daycare or with a provider for longer than 24 hours. I know lots of providers who take kids for the weekend, etc., but technically it is illegal here. I'm glad for it because I can site the law if anyone asks. I'm not interested in offering overnight care.
cheerfuldom 09:30 AM 05-14-2012
How is this different than boarding school? The kids in the pictures all look preschool age or older......
DBug 10:16 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
Anyway, the law here in Ontario makes it illegal to leave your child in daycare or with a provider for longer than 24 hours. I know lots of providers who take kids for the weekend, etc., but technically it is illegal here. I'm glad for it because I can site the law if anyone asks. I'm not interested in offering overnight care.
I'm in Ontario too, and I didn't realize that! Where is it listed -- in the Day Nurseries Act? I've never done 24 hour/weekend daycare, but it would be good to know for future reference ...
kathiemarie 11:06 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
How is this different than boarding school? The kids in the pictures all look preschool age or older......
Your right. I didn't think of that. I guess I thought of infants and toddlers, but kids do go to boarding scool as young as 8. NOt my cup of tea (or my family) but I know ts common in some.
MyAngels 12:42 PM 05-14-2012
That's a good point - I didn't think of that. Illinois law doesn't allow kids to be in care for more than 18 hours a day, so I guess we're safe for now .
countrymom 06:21 AM 05-15-2012
Wow!!

There is a 24 hour daycare in my town but the lady who runs it offers shifts within the 24 hours. This way, she has no more than the legal 5 children (here in Ontario) but because they stagger their start/end times she has 20 clients!

did you know that she has to charge parents tax because she is open 24 hours. Its right on the goverment website.
Michelle 06:50 AM 05-15-2012
I have some parents that would move to that country and be lovin that place!
MarinaVanessa 09:08 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we have providers who first start out that offer 24 hour care, doesn't last long. I agree, why have kids if you want to dump them off.
Here too or at least some that say that they are going to open one up. I get to talk to a lot of child care providers (new, veterans and ones in the process of starting up) ever since I joined the board of our local DC association. We help and mentor our members and the subject of 24 hour FCC comes up every so often.

They each will think this is a good idea until they realize that here in CA the only way you can possibly do it is if you have an assistant(s) that will care for the kids during the night shift. You can't sleep in childcare unless you have another adult directly supervising the kids even when they're sleeping. And then there's the issue of either having to get up at night to relieve your staff for their breaks and meal period, having 2 assistants at night so thaty can releive each other or having staff during the day and the DC provider taking the night shift. So here 24 hour DC is not cost effective unless you have full enrollment for the night hours so that you can pay for the extra staff.
Reply Up