Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Honest Advice Please!
Ann B. 01:42 PM 04-26-2012
Hi Everyone,
I need everyone's advice here please. My daycare is very small (3). One of my kids now is here only 2 days a week. He will go down to just 1 day in October. My full time child is going to just 2 days in September. My other is only here when needed. I really want to tell the parent of the one going down to 1 day that I really do not want to commit to being open for her on the day that he will be here just one day. I would rather take that time to do other things. If this child were to be here at least a few days that would be a different story. One day is ridiculous to me anyway. Would you not take a child only for one day ? how would you approach this parent? Thanks
cheerfuldom 01:47 PM 04-26-2012
Just let her know that the least amount of days that you will do is two days per week (assuming you want to keep them if they could do at least two days). Otherwise, dont feel bad to say that one day a week does not work for you.
Breezy 01:47 PM 04-26-2012
I am currently in a transition phase with my DC. I only have one child who is PT anywhere from 1-4 days per week on average. Would I do this sort of schedule again? No way!

It is so hard to get a child on a decent routine and schedule with so few days per week. I am constantly retraining her to be here with me.

You could tell DCM that if she is needing one day per week the child will be considered a drop in and therefore her care is not guaranteed. That way if it works around your schedule, fine! You should also let her know FT kids get priority over the drop in children.
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 04-26-2012
To me that would be drop in care. Drop in care is offer WHEN available, so the parents have to call and see if I am willing to watch the child on a specific day. If I have plans I can't do it and they need to find other care.

All my other families come a minimum of 3 days per week. Anything less is drop in....where there is no committment from me as to availability.

If I were you, I would write her a letter saying that you are not willing to commit to anything less than 3 days per week but will still provide care IF you have no other plans and can accommodate her needs but she would have to call and check each time she needs care rather than just scheduling a certain day and just being allowed to come.

I see your point and one day per week is tough for you and for the child and IME, it makes things hard all around. Personally, I wouldn't do it and would give the mom the option of 3 days or just drop in. I ALWAYS tell my parents that the decisions I make are business and NEVER personal.
Christian Mother 01:54 PM 04-26-2012
1 day a wk is def. hard to accommodate each week. I would start looking to replace the parents that are less then 2 days a week. You don't need to tell the families right off that your looking to replace them...although for me when my family went from 3-4 days a week down to one I let her know right away that I needed to start looking for a replacement as I couldn't survive on just one day. I told her I would do my best to try and fit her child in but I couldn't guarantee it. If a full time child came into the equation..I was taking it and then that family loses out. And you need to make sure they understand this bc this parent didn't quiet get it. She never thought I'd be able to replace her slot that quickly and I was...
AnneCordelia 01:56 PM 04-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
To me that would be drop in care. Drop in care is offer WHEN available, so the parents have to call and see if I am willing to watch the child on a specific day. If I have plans I can't do it and they need to find other care.

All my other families come a minimum of 3 days per week. Anything less is drop in....where there is no committment from me as to availability.

If I were you, I would write her a letter saying that you are not willing to commit to anything less than 3 days per week but will still provide care IF you have no other plans and can accommodate her needs but she would have to call and check each time she needs care rather than just scheduling a certain day and just being allowed to come.

I see your point and one day per week is tough for you and for the child and IME, it makes things hard all around. Personally, I wouldn't do it and would give the mom the option of 3 days or just drop in. I ALWAYS tell my parents that the decisions I make are business and NEVER personal.
This is how I do it too.

Minimum 3 days for part time care. 1 day a week is drop in care, and drop in care is always at my discretion to accommodate. It also costs more. Fulltime is $35/day. Parttime is $40/day. Drop in is $45/day.
Ann B. 05:17 PM 04-26-2012
Thanks everyone for your advice! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me! I plan to let this parent know that the one day a week will not work for me. You have given me great ideas on how to handle this!
Reply Up