Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>11/12 Year Old Rate???
TSDaycare 06:13 AM 06-08-2011
Need some input- next school year I have my first dcg going into 6th grade, she has been with me for the past 2 years before & after and days school is out. Parents are not comfortable with her staying home alone yet after school next year which I totally understand. But how much do I charge for her just being her for 1-2 hrs in the afternoon? Right now I get $100 per week for 2 hrs per morning and 1 hr in the afternoon, I was thinking $50 per week for 2 hrs each afternoon....I will need to make a special trip to the end of the road to get her off the bus, plus I will have to cut naptime short and wake all of the toddlers up considering the bus will come around 3pm, so I am changing my afternoon around alot to accomodate this. Plus she will be filling one of my spots unless I can find someone who only needs morning and picks up before 3pm, etc which is highly unlikely....I think $50 is fair considering the changes I am making for this family.
laundrymom 06:24 AM 06-08-2011
I personally would charge at least 80% of my rate. Because,
-Their needs are requiring a change to your program. You are adapting everyone else to accommodate them
- she will still be using one of your spots. You will have trunks finding a replacement that fills the gaps.
- she will only be giving up her morning time care, still needing the same care in evenings.

If it were me I would offer no discount in this situation. If I chose to I would discount my weekly fee divided by the normal hours she is there times the hours she is gone. Here I can have 3 additional SA before they cut into my numbers. Though so she wouldn't count in Indiana, maybe your has a SA clause?
TSDaycare 04:00 AM 06-15-2011
******bump****
Pammie 04:05 AM 06-15-2011
Personally, I would charge more like $60 for the week of afternoon care. That's just $12/day - and considering the accommodations you're making, that's more than fair.

Do you **have** to meet her at the bus stop?? And thus rearrange your schedule??

I have s/a kids that come to me for after-school care, and I don't meet them at the bus stop because it's the middle of nap-time here. The bus stop is about 1.5 blocks from my home, and neither I nor the parents have an issue with the kids walking here on their own. Would it be possible for her to walk to your home without you and all the kids meeting her?
sharlan 07:35 AM 06-15-2011
Your going to have her 75% of what you have her now, but you're going to cut your rate by 50%. I would charge $75 a week.
TSDaycare 10:04 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Personally, I would charge more like $60 for the week of afternoon care. That's just $12/day - and considering the accommodations you're making, that's more than fair.

Do you **have** to meet her at the bus stop?? And thus rearrange your schedule??

I have s/a kids that come to me for after-school care, and I don't meet them at the bus stop because it's the middle of nap-time here. The bus stop is about 1.5 blocks from my home, and neither I nor the parents have an issue with the kids walking here on their own. Would it be possible for her to walk to your home without you and all the kids meeting her?
Yes unfortunately this is what makes it difficult-mom doesn't want her walking from the bus stop by herself, I'm the 6 house in on a straight street, the bus stop can be seen from my house, and she is old enough to walk by herself, but mom doesn't want that. She will be getting off during my nap time also-towards the end of it. I think I'm going to keep her rate the same unless parents mention otherwise.... I am just making too many new accomodations for her.
permanentvacation 11:05 AM 06-15-2011
You might want to really think about whether or not it will be worth your while to continue watching her. You will have to take all your little ones up to the bus stop with you no matter what the weather is. Imagine having to put coats, gloves, etc. on each of your little ones in pouring down rain, snow, thunderstorm, etc. And if the entire sidewalk isn't cleared of the snow, or if there's ice on the sidewalk, then you have that liability to worry about for all of your little ones as well as the school age child. Also, what if you slip on the ice and get hurt while you are the only adult with all those kids? Personally, whenever I watch school age children, I make sure to only watch the older children (not kindergarteners) who can walk to and from the bus stop by themselves, unsupervised. It is in my contract that I am not responsible for their care to or from the bus stop. I begin my responsibility of them after they have entered my home and stop being responsible for them when they step out of my door to go to the bus stop.
squareone 11:28 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
Yes unfortunately this is what makes it difficult-mom doesn't want her walking from the bus stop by herself, I'm the 6 house in on a straight street, the bus stop can be seen from my house, and she is old enough to walk by herself, but mom doesn't want that. She will be getting off during my nap time also-towards the end of it. I think I'm going to keep her rate the same unless parents mention otherwise.... I am just making too many new accomodations for her.
Yes, leave the rate the same! With all of the adjustments that you have to make, I would just leave the rate as is with no changes. Even if the parents say something, let them know exactly how you have to make changes to make this work. Plus, it is only 1 hour less than she is now, right?

If this is a 12 year that old cannot be trusted to stay home alone for an hour or two OR trusted to get off the bus at a bus stop (that you can see from your house) and come straight to your house, then she can't possibly be an angel while in your care. Yeah, definitely keep her rate the same.
kidkair 11:31 AM 06-15-2011
In MN 11-12 year old would not need to be counted in ratios and therefore she wouldn't be taking up a spot. I'd double check with your licensor to see if the same would apply in your situation. Personally I would not wake all the kids early and would have the school ager walk. I'd tell the mom that she needs to be okay with her walking or find somewhere else that will take her.
Abigail 07:21 PM 06-15-2011
12 and under count in ratios here in North Dakota. I would charge $75 per week (what happens if there is no school?) I would also tell the mom that you will watch from your window and walk outside to the sidewalk (talk to your licensure to see how far you are allowed to walk with a baby monitor in hand) and then meet her outside on your property. She will find alternative care if she is not okay with trusting you watching her daughter walk 50 feet off the bus.
Tags:rate - 1 to 2yo, rate - 12yo, rates
Reply Up