Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opinion On My Email With A Potential Parent...Please?
Fruitloops1 07:27 PM 07-24-2012
Okay sorry this is backwards...If you start from the bottom up, it will make more sense. Did I answer Ok? Was it rude? Not enough info? This is my 2nd website inquiry and 3rd overall interested parent. The first never responded to the VM I left her and the email...Oh well. The calling parent...I told her I will call her once the DC is set up and then I can giver her a tour. This is interested parent # 3. I am still nervous and freaking out each time I receive an inquiry.
Bolded in my response...

Hello C****!
I am just starting my daycare journey. I am currently going through the process to become licensed with DCFS. I currently have two (2 year old and 5 month old) that are on a drop in schedule and a 2-1/2 year old scheduled for part-time starting mid September. Per DCFS I am allowed to care for 3 different children without a daycare license. Once I become licensed I am allowed up to 8 children of varying ages (cannot exceed 3 infants). I currently do have 2 additional adults that are going through training courses provided by Illinois Action for Children, which are approved and required by DCFS. My assistants will be available, as I need them. I have cared for children on a personal level for quite sometime.
I can give you references if you wish to contact them.
If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely,
Azra

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Daycare Inquiry Form Submission
Date: Tue, July 24, 2012 6:12 pm
To: azra@westtowndaycare.com

Hi

It looks like you are just starting your day care. I was wondering how long you have been running a day care, whether you are licensed, how many children are enrolled, how many adults are at the center, and what is your experience caring for children?

Thanks!
C****

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:09 PM, <azra@westtowndaycare.com> wrote:

Hello, Thank you for your interest in West Town Daycare! Just a few questions to get us started.

How many hours per week will you be needing care?
How many days per week?
Full days or Half days?
Will you be needing morning or evenings?
How soon will you be needing care?

Feel free to contact us via phone at 773-278-7303 or via email.
We hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Azra

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Daycare Inquiry Form Submission
Date: Mon, July 23, 2012 3:05 pm
To: azra@westtowndaycare.com

caretime: Full-Time
email: c********@gmail.com
name: C*** E*****
number: 1
phone: 312*******
submit: sign me up!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This e-mail was generated from a form submission on your website:
westtowndaycare.com
Fruitloops1 07:42 PM 07-24-2012
POTENTIAL! GAH
sahm1225 08:13 PM 07-24-2012
I thought you gave too much info. You can just say that you are in the process of becoming licensed and will have 2 assistants. I would also suggest that you say the ages of the children you have experience with (from newborns to 8 year olds). You don't have to explain that they were on a personal level (honestly, that makes me think that you are talking about your own kids! LOL)

i am confused - if you are still in the licensing process and don't have the daycare tour-ready, then why are you advertising?

WHere are you in the licensing process?
Nickel 09:21 PM 07-24-2012
I am a newbie, so I don't have much experience, but I too think it's too much info. Especially for someone who doesn't know much about day care and licensing as most parents don't. (but most websites advice parents to ask how many children there are)

In any case, I would just tell her that you are in the process of becoming licensed through dcfs and currently care for three children. You have two assistants and will have spots available for five additional children (total of 8). Your ratio is 8:3 or 4:1 or however you plan on doing it.

Let her know you have blank time experience with children ages blank to blank and that you are cpr and first aid certified (if you are). If you don't have professional experience, you can site any classes you have taken (either through dcfs or online, whatever) Even your required class hours prior to getting your licensed should have some kind of name attached to it.

But I'm in the same boat. I always tend to give too much information when I shoudl learn to stop talking. AND I seem to never be able to follow my own advice I was just flipping out over my own credentials but I got some great advice that really helped build my confidence..

ANYWAY, I'm sure you will get tons of great advice here. I konw I always do
Fruitloops1 05:59 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I thought you gave too much info. You can just say that you are in the process of becoming licensed and will have 2 assistants. I would also suggest that you say the ages of the children you have experience with (from newborns to 8 year olds). You don't have to explain that they were on a personal level (honestly, that makes me think that you are talking about your own kids! LOL)

i am confused - if you are still in the licensing process and don't have the daycare tour-ready, then why are you advertising?

WHere are you in the licensing process?
Today I am calling the fire marshal to harrass them to see when they are coming out for their inspection. After that then my rep comes.(hopefully as she doesnt like to return my calls) I am advertising for the Fall. I am hoping to at least start off with 3 unlicensed then become licensed and sign on more.
Fruitloops1 06:01 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I am a newbie, so I don't have much experience, but I too think it's too much info. Especially for someone who doesn't know much about day care and licensing as most parents don't. (but most websites advice parents to ask how many children there are)

In any case, I would just tell her that you are in the process of becoming licensed through dcfs and currently care for three children. You have two assistants and will have spots available for five additional children (total of 8). Your ratio is 8:3 or 4:1 or however you plan on doing it.

Let her know you have blank time experience with children ages blank to blank and that you are cpr and first aid certified (if you are). If you don't have professional experience, you can site any classes you have taken (either through dcfs or online, whatever) Even your required class hours prior to getting your licensed should have some kind of name attached to it.

But I'm in the same boat. I always tend to give too much information when I shoudl learn to stop talking. AND I seem to never be able to follow my own advice I was just flipping out over my own credentials but I got some great advice that really helped build my confidence..

ANYWAY, I'm sure you will get tons of great advice here. I konw I always do
I wish I would of posted before I sent the email. I had a feeling of should of slept on this one. Now as I read it, I agree too much info....
Nickel 07:54 PM 07-25-2012
That's okay. Now you'll know for next time

I had an interview last week and I thought it went okay, but I've been thinking about it and I see a couple places where I should have just kept my mouth shut! lol... But now I'll know better for next time. Every interview, letter or email is a learning experience, right? That's how I'm looking at it.
Mommy2One 10:16 AM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by Azra11:
I wish I would of posted before I sent the email. I had a feeling of should of slept on this one. Now as I read it, I agree too much info....
Don't worry, it's better to give too much information than not enough (from my perspective as a parent).

A response like this may be better:
"Hello C****!
I am just starting my daycare journey but (I'm super exited, I love kids, I've taken X, Y and Z classes, etc.). I am currently going through the process to become licensed with DCFS and expect to have that completed by (Month Year). We already have a great program here with (2-3 things that may interest the parent given their child's age)

Right now I'm caring for two children that are on a drop in schedule and a third that will be attending part-time starting mid September. Once I'm licensed I will have up to 8 children. I have two assistants available who will work as needed, depending on the day's attendance.

Sincerely,
Azra"

You could also shorten your first list of questions to something simpler like "What days/hours are you looking for care and when would you like your child to start?" It just may feel a little friendlier than 5 questions about the schedule.
Fruitloops1 02:55 PM 07-27-2012
Originally Posted by Mommy2One:
Don't worry, it's better to give too much information than not enough (from my perspective as a parent).

A response like this may be better:
"Hello C****!
I am just starting my daycare journey but (I'm super exited, I love kids, I've taken X, Y and Z classes, etc.). I am currently going through the process to become licensed with DCFS and expect to have that completed by (Month Year). We already have a great program here with (2-3 things that may interest the parent given their child's age)

Right now I'm caring for two children that are on a drop in schedule and a third that will be attending part-time starting mid September. Once I'm licensed I will have up to 8 children. I have two assistants available who will work as needed, depending on the day's attendance.

Sincerely,
Azra"

You could also shorten your first list of questions to something simpler like "What days/hours are you looking for care and when would you like your child to start?" It just may feel a little friendlier than 5 questions about the schedule.
Oh! I really like how you worded that. Thank you! I am going to save it in case someone else sends another email that is similar.
Tags:e-mail response, e-mails, parent communication
Reply Up