Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Adjusting From A Center To Home Daycare
LoraJenkins 01:57 PM 04-13-2013
I had an 18 month old DCB start this week. The first day went better than expected (I should had known better). The second day was terrible! Hitting, running, snatching toys, pushing, etc. He was in a daycare center before coming here. I have never gotten a child that has been in a center before so I am not sure if this is from that or just him testing me to see how far he can go. Any suggestions?
Blackcat31 02:12 PM 04-13-2013
I'd say that his behavior is due to the fact that he is the age he is and is in a new surrounding/environment verses any of it happening due to him coming from a center.

He is probably testing his boundaries and trying to figure out what he can and can't get away with at your house. Perfectly on par with what he should be doing at this age.

I would probably devote a little more time to supervising, redirecting, guiding and assisting him with settling in so he knows right off what is ok and expected at your home.

I will make integration of a newbie a "group activity" and often times ask the other kids to be big helpers in reminding the new child what the rules are at my house and I allow a little bit more "tattling" from the others the first few weeks we are phasing in a newbie just in case I am not able to have my eyes on them all the time.

Good luck! 18 months is a tough age, but a super fun one too!
nannyde 02:47 PM 04-13-2013
Was he kicked out of the center?
blandino 05:12 PM 04-13-2013
I would say that age is particularly difficult to change daycares, however normally it just involves lots of crying/screaming, for a while.

I definitely do think that a center CAN be an entirely different environment. But I don't think that is the whole reason the child is acting like that.

We had DCG come from a very large center at 19 months, and she would carry four or five toys with her at all times (even one under her chin) so that no one would take them from her. I think the children were much more aggressive, at her old center. I think that SOME centers can breed that kind of aggression, just due to large numbers, high staff turnover, and less dedicated caregivers, in SOME centers.

I wouldn't expect that type of behavior as part of a transition. If a child is familiar with general rules and good behavior, it isn't just going to disappear in a new environment. Or should I say, nasty behaviors aren't going to just appear when the child goes into a new environment.
LoraJenkins 05:27 PM 04-13-2013
Thank you everyone. No....he wasn't kicked out of the center. DCM said that he was coming home with bruises & injuries that the staff had no idea how it happened. I do not know the center but it sounds like lack of supervision to me. Now to figure out a way to stop the behaviors. He is too young for discipline. I guess I will be doing A LOT of redirecting over the next few weeks. Now to figure out how to curb the constant running!
nannyde 06:23 PM 04-13-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
Thank you everyone. No....he wasn't kicked out of the center. DCM said that he was coming home with bruises & injuries that the staff had no idea how it happened. I do not know the center but it sounds like lack of supervision to me. Now to figure out a way to stop the behaviors. He is too young for discipline. I guess I will be doing A LOT of redirecting over the next few weeks. Now to figure out how to curb the constant running!
He may be a biter so really watch him. At that age if he was booted out it would most likely be because he is a biter.

A parent of a biter would most likely not tell you about it before enrollment. They learn not to say anything when they can't get an interview when they tell the truth.
Play Care 05:33 AM 04-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd say that his behavior is due to the fact that he is the age he is and is in a new surrounding/environment verses any of it happening due to him coming from a center.

He is probably testing his boundaries and trying to figure out what he can and can't get away with at your house. Perfectly on par with what he should be doing at this age.

I would probably devote a little more time to supervising, redirecting, guiding and assisting him with settling in so he knows right off what is ok and expected at your home.

I will make integration of a newbie a "group activity" and often times ask the other kids to be big helpers in reminding the new child what the rules are at my house and I allow a little bit more "tattling" from the others the first few weeks we are phasing in a newbie just in case I am not able to have my eyes on them all the time.

Good luck! 18 months is a tough age, but a super fun one too!
This. No 18 month old gets "free range" in my day home. They are too young, not very verbal and get easily frustrated. I think with a lot of consistency you will notice a significant improvement within a couple of weeks.
I actually LOVE this age for starting in my day care - young enough for me to develop a long term bond with but old enough to be out of the infant stage. And if they have had some training in another day care (in regard to schedules, napping, etc.) then it usually works to my advantage
LoraJenkins 05:53 AM 04-14-2013
Yes, he does GREAT at meals and naps! I only have him 3 days a week so at least I get a couple of easy days with just the other 18 month old and two 4 year olds that have all been with me since they were infants. In 20+ years of providing care he is the first child that did not start here as an infant. So this is new for me.
AmyKidsCo 11:30 AM 04-14-2013
Sounds like testing, and maybe there were so many children at the center he was ignored, or discovered that bad behavior got him lots of attention. Be consistent with him and I'll bet things get better in a couple of weeks.
cheerfuldom 03:55 PM 04-14-2013
just keep in mind that it is very common for parents to lie about the previous daycare situation.....I had the same thought as nan.
LoraJenkins 06:11 PM 04-14-2013
I received a text from DCM today asking how DCB was Friday (Grandma picked up that day). I was honest and told her of the issues. She responded that he has NEVER acted like that before. Yeah right! An 18 month old who has never hit before???? My suspicions are raised now
Reply Up