Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help Interpreting Minnesota Laws!
Buttercup 06:50 PM 07-18-2018
So I am aware of what the laws on becoming a legally unlicensed provider in my state are...
Originally Posted by :
Under Minnesota Statutes, section 245A.03, subdivision 2, the following child care situations are excluded from licensure:
child care provided by a relative to only related children; and, or
child care provided to children from a single, unrelated family, for any length of time;
child care provided for a cumulative total of less than 30 days in any 12-month period.
Obviously the last thing I'd want to do is break the law. But reading this, it seems to me that I am able to do drop-in/temporary care in addition to the one non related family?

Let's say I care for family A's kids full time. Then another family B comes along and only wants someone to watch their kid for one month. Do you think that means I could care for both sets of kids at the same time? As long as I don't care for Family B for a single day past that 30-day mark. Then again, I could be interpreting this incorrectly.

I won't be in a position to open a daycare for at least another couple of years, but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to go without a license! I prefer a smaller group anyway.
Blackcat31 06:59 PM 07-18-2018
Originally Posted by Buttercup:
So I am aware of what the laws on becoming a legally unlicensed provider in my state are...

Obviously the last thing I'd want to do is break the law. But reading this, it seems to me that I am able to do drop-in/temporary care in addition to the one non related family?

Let's say I care for family A's kids full time. Then another family B comes along and only wants someone to watch their kid for one month. Do you think that means I could care for both sets of kids at the same time? As long as I don't care for Family B for a single day past that 30-day mark. Then again, I could be interpreting this incorrectly.

I won't be in a position to open a daycare for at least another couple of years, but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to go without a license! I prefer a smaller group anyway.
I’d contact Tom Copeland and ask for legal clarification

Here is his contact info https://www.daycare.com/forum/member.php?u=30880
Buttercup 05:03 AM 07-19-2018
Thank you!
Tags:legally unlicensed
Reply Up