Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Newb From Atlanta GA Needs Advise
flyygal 08:36 AM 06-14-2013
Hi all im new on this forum and appreciate the wealth of information im getting from here.

I'm looking to open my own Child Learning Center in Atlanta GA and will love any advise plus will like to connect with other owners in my area.

For the experienced forum members, looking back, what will you have done differently when you first started.

I will appreciate any input
Laurel 10:06 AM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by flyygal:
Hi all im new on this forum and appreciate the wealth of information im getting from here.

I'm looking to open my own Child Learning Center in Atlanta GA and will love any advise plus will like to connect with other owners in my area.

For the experienced forum members, looking back, what will you have done differently when you first started.

I will appreciate any input
Hi!

I have a home not a center but my list is:

-I would have parents pay before care is given. They pay Monday for the week coming up now.

-I would have never bought a sandbox (I had the turtle one). I like a sand/water table that they can stand around much better. Way less mess.

-In a mixed age group, I would have only had one infant at a time under 12 months.

-I would have termed one child. I had a thing in my head that I never wanted to term anyone and haven't so far but wish I had with that particular child. I was just miserable.

-I would never buy Rose Art brand crayons, only Crayola

-Should never have taken toddlers in a little molded plastic pool. What was I thinking? Wow, that was so not worth all the hassle.

-My second multiple stroller would have been a higher quality one. My first one was great that I got at a garage sale but when it wore out couldn't find a used one so bought a lower quality one new. Wasn't worth it!

All I can think of for now.

-My friend who owned two centers before doing home care said she would have looked for a church situation for her daycare as going commercial was so not worth it. She said rent goes up every year and if you don't get enough children you're out of luck. Rent still due. In a church situation, it is either rent free or not much as they are required to do community outreach to have a tax exempt status so often they'll let daycares have space. Don't quote me on that but that is what I understand it to be.

Laurel
Starburst 07:01 PM 06-20-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Hi!

I have a home not a center but my list is:

-I would have parents pay before care is given. They pay Monday for the week coming up now.

-I would have never bought a sandbox (I had the turtle one). I like a sand/water table that they can stand around much better. Way less mess.

-In a mixed age group, I would have only had one infant at a time under 12 months.

-I would have termed one child. I had a thing in my head that I never wanted to term anyone and haven't so far but wish I had with that particular child. I was just miserable.

-Should never have taken toddlers in a little molded plastic pool. What was I thinking? Wow, that was so not worth all the hassle.

-My second multiple stroller would have been a higher quality one. My first one was great that I got at a garage sale but when it wore out couldn't find a used one so bought a lower quality one new. Wasn't worth it!
thanx for the advice... and I agree Crayola is way better than Rose Art!
Angelsj 08:39 AM 06-21-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
AMEN!!! Never buy Rose Art anything.
Tags:georgia member, starting a daycare
Reply Up