Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moving, Hoping To Sell Daycare Business With Home
Sarah97 08:39 PM 10-01-2013
Hi all, first of all I must admit I've been reading the forum for years. I've never felt the need to post until now, when I'm getting ready to move and
close my daycare! Well I guess I don't want to close my daycare, I'd love to find someone to come in and take it over.

I've been licensed in my small town since 1997. In 2005 we built our current home, making the lower level exclusivly the day care. Seperate enterance, kitchen, bathroom, naproom, and play ground. This was our forever dream home, however my dh accepted a great job offer in another state. I feel terrible leaving my dc families since there is such a shortage of dc's in my town - I don't know where they will go.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas to help market this house/business? Or does anyone want to move to a beautiful home on 15 acres in Wisconsin?
Familycare71 09:21 PM 10-01-2013
Ya had me until Wisconsin!!!

Sounds like it would be great if you can find the right buyer!
snbauser 04:36 AM 10-02-2013
No suggestions but make sure you look into the rules of selling a business. I know here in my state you can not sell your FCC. The license is specific to both you and your location. So anyone wanting to purchase the house and run the FCC would need to go through the entire licensing process.
Maria2013 04:55 AM 10-02-2013
I just want to say best of luck to you
Memc2001 06:50 AM 10-02-2013
Good luck! That sounds like a great opportunity to offer to anyone in the area who is in that line of work. It would take a lot of networking but you never know~ Congratulations to your family on the new job!
butterfly 07:14 AM 10-02-2013
Could you get a list of providers in your area? Maybe you could email a link of your listing to a group of providers? I'm not sure if their are any restrictions on the soliciation side of this though? We have an online listing in our state, it's very easy to email providers here.

Good luck in the sale of your home. Great opportunity for someone!
LK5kids 11:19 AM 10-02-2013
I am in WI! There does not seem to be enough kids here due to the fact we have full day free 4K! Small town also. Your set up sounds wonderful. Good luck!
spinnymarie 11:42 AM 10-02-2013
Where in WI are you ?
originalkat 01:32 PM 10-02-2013
Sounds beautiful! I would love to have that setup.
Sarah97 03:26 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Ya had me until Wisconsin!!!
No kidding!

My poor day care parents, for many years I've been joking with them that when my son graduates I would be moving somewhere warm. They all know how much I despise winter (and most of spring & fall!). Wouldn't you know it, the same week we moved my son to Vermont for college my dh would get a job offer way too good to pass up in Arizona!
Sarah97 03:54 PM 10-02-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
No suggestions but make sure you look into the rules of selling a business. I know here in my state you can not sell your FCC. The license is specific to both you and your location. So anyone wanting to purchase the house and run the FCC would need to go through the entire licensing process.
Yes, that is actually what I did almost 17 years ago! I basically came in as an employee, the former owner stayed on the license until I had all my paperwork completed and had it all switched over. I interviewed with all the parents and they all decided to stay on with me. Sure was nice walking in to something already established! I have clients they can interview, established policies and phone number, and 17 years worth of toys, equipment, art/craft supplies, & resoursed to pass along. I don't even know where I'll start if I have to sell it all seperate!

Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I am in WI! There does not seem to be enough kids here due to the fact we have full day free 4K! Small town also. Your set up sounds wonderful. Good luck!
The 4K program here is MTTF half days here, but like you said, it did affect my enrollment a bit. There is only one other certified daycare and one group center licensed for 22 kids in my town. So obviously lots of unlicensed/illegal providers, but I've always managed to keep full except by choice (like last summer getting ready for graduation). Surprisingly, I rarely get W-2 kids either - which is fine by me, I don't like the paperwork/co-pay mess. Mostly have teachers, doctors, professionals enroll. My hours aren't even that bad. I used to be open 6am - 6pm, but over the years I've managed to get them down to 7 - 4:30 (sometimes 5:00).

Thanks for the well wishes!
Sarah97 03:55 PM 10-02-2013
I sent you a PM!
Michael 04:02 PM 10-02-2013
If you could show that the business would pay for the mortgage and more, I think that would be a great selling point. Hopefully getting a daycare license in Wisconsin takes about as much time as foreclosure. It would be great if the buyers has a license already. Good luck.
LK5kids 04:57 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Sarah97:
Yes, that is actually what I did almost 17 years ago! I basically came in as an employee, the former owner stayed on the license until I had all my paperwork completed and had it all switched over. I interviewed with all the parents and they all decided to stay on with me. Sure was nice walking in to something already established! I have clients they can interview, established policies and phone number, and 17 years worth of toys, equipment, art/craft supplies, & resoursed to pass along. I don't even know where I'll start if I have to sell it all seperate!

The 4K program here is MTTF half days here, but like you said, it did affect my enrollment a bit. There is only one other certified daycare and one group center licensed for 22 kids in my town. So obviously lots of unlicensed/illegal providers, but I've always managed to keep full except by choice (like last summer getting ready for graduation). Surprisingly, I rarely get W-2 kids either - which is fine by me, I don't like the paperwork/co-pay mess. Mostly have teachers, doctors, professionals enroll. My hours aren't even that bad. I used to be open 6am - 6pm, but over the years I've managed to get them down to 7 - 4:30 (sometimes 5:00).

Thanks for the well wishes!
Oh, we have two group centers that are each licensed for approx. 55 kids, 8 licensed FCC and maybe a few certified. I am just beginning to work with the paperwork/co-pAy mess right now. Ugh!
Tags:home for sale, selling daycare
Reply Up