Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers On The Food Program...
Luvnmykidz 01:40 PM 06-14-2014
I recently signed up for the food program and am still learning how it all works. I just had an interview for a 3yr and the mom claims he is on a gluten free/organic diet due to food allergies. I request medical documentation in regards to it and explain that legally I cannot feed him what she sends because I provide all meals and snacks. I also explained that with a doctor's order I could serve meals based on his allergies but not without it. He began at my daycare Friday and had no paperwork stating food allergies or anything so he ate the meal I served. He did state he wasn't supposed to eat it because it's not organic. I told him that was the meal I was offering and he didn't have to eat it if he didn't want to. He ate it all and appeared fine, no issues or complaints. My question is #1 was it right on my behalf to serve him our meal versus his. My assumption was that on the food program documentation must follow for a substitution meal. #2 If and when documentation is provided am I then responsible for preparing his meal based on his diet or can his mother provide his meal. The mother stated she would prefer to prepare and bring his meal. Sorry this is so long .
midaycare 02:02 PM 06-14-2014
Yikes! If he is supposed to be on a gluten free diet, you could have really made him sick by feeding him gluten. Organic, well, I am not aware of any conditions that need organic foods, but I'm not a doctor.

I need to eat gluten free or I am sick for weeks. I'm not celiac, but I do have autoimmune conditions.

If the boy is celiac, he can not have gluten ever, and it's a very big deal.

He doesn't have to be on the food program. Is Mom providing food? I didn't understand that. If not, ask Mom to provide easy meals. If she is, you just don't get reimbursed.
DaisyMamma 02:12 PM 06-14-2014
Dcm will likely be mad.
You shouldnt have given him the meal. (I'm willing to bet that it isn't an allergy but that's another issue.)

In my food program he can bring his own meals. You still fill out paperwork for him and there is an option that that the parents tick off that says they choose not to participate in the food program and you don't get reimbursed for his meals.

It will cost you a lot to feed him the diet and it will be a lot easier to have him bring his own meals. You won't get a higher reimbursement for his "allergy"
Mom of 4 02:13 PM 06-14-2014
I would still feed what the parent brings while waiting on the medical documents. You just can't claim him on the food program for reimbursement until you have the documents.
NightOwl 03:05 PM 06-14-2014
So mom did NOT send a meal or medical documentation? If that's correct, she has to feed the child! Imo, this falls on mom. As a provider, she can't just let him go hungry.
Leanna 03:26 PM 06-14-2014
I would not have let the boy attend my program until the issue was resolved.

You cannot have parents bring food when you are on the food program. If he has a documented food allergy/intolerance, such as gluten, then you must provide him with alternate appropriate foods.

No, you should not have fed the boy a meal containing gluten without knowing about his medical conditions. Again, I would not have let him attend in the first place if I did not have the proper documentation.

Organic may not be a health issue, but more of a preference as I, like the PP, am not aware of any conditions that require organic food. If mom really wants organic and you do not provide it she may have to consider another program.
Unregistered 03:41 PM 06-14-2014
I am gluten intolerant and your meal could have bad side affects for me and at least one of my daughters (documented); the effects don't always show immediately, but it would by that night. I would be looking at finding another daycare ASAP if you had not fed my child what I sent just because you didn't have my medical paperwork yet… it does cause major illness. Having to be gluten free is not a choice for some people.
CraftyMom 05:02 PM 06-14-2014
I'm willing to guess he doesn't have an actual "allergy", parents are usually on top of "My kid has an allergy, make sure he doesn't eat such and such and here is the dr order" However parents never surprise me anymore!

I'm thinking it may be a preference or mom suspects an allergy, but not diagnosed.

Either way, to play it safe until you know, I would have mom provide meals.

If he does indeed need a specific diet I would have mom supply all meals and not put him on the fp, since it will likely cost more than the food program pays and it is a lot more of your time...purchasing, planning and serving 2 separate meals at every meal.
daycare_jen 06:44 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I'm willing to guess he doesn't have an actual "allergy", parents are usually on top of "My kid has an allergy, make sure he doesn't eat such and such and here is the dr order" However parents never surprise me anymore!

I'm thinking it may be a preference or mom suspects an allergy, but not diagnosed.

Either way, to play it safe until you know, I would have mom provide meals.

If he does indeed need a specific diet I would have mom supply all meals and not put him on the fp, since it will likely cost more than the food program pays and it is a lot more of your time...purchasing, planning and serving 2 separate meals at every meal.
I was that mom, while I worked in the same daycare my daughter went to. I worked there over the summer, while my husband was home with my daughter. I saw what they ate and there was no way I wanted my daughter to eat that way every day. We eat primarily organic, although there are times we have things that are not. We also avoid gluten as a family (my husband has autoimmune issues and does best with it) as I want to avoid triggers to affect my children's health. Let me say, yes, there are times my child does not always eat this way, but I just couldn't let her everyday. The food they served were poptarts, honeybuns, cinnamon rolls, muffins and so on for breakfast.... no fruit or protein. Lunch was usually a processed chicken nugget, pizza, or other prepackaged easy to warm up item. When the school year started and my husband returned to his teaching job, she started at the daycare. They insisted she had to be on the food program. I discussed this with her doctor and he wrote a note, stating that she was on a special diet, so that I could avoid it. They had me bring her own food, but they still claimed her on the food program There are several providers that believe that all children must be a part of it.

Just have his mom bring his meals and do not claim him on the program.
ACH247 03:23 PM 06-14-2014
It sounds like the mom did provide the meal but she fed him her meal instead.
Leigh 07:07 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
I recently signed up for the food program and am still learning how it all works. I just had an interview for a 3yr and the mom claims he is on a gluten free/organic diet due to food allergies. I request medical documentation in regards to it and explain that legally I cannot feed him what she sends because I provide all meals and snacks. I also explained that with a doctor's order I could serve meals based on his allergies but not without it. He began at my daycare Friday and had no paperwork stating food allergies or anything so he ate the meal I served. He did state he wasn't supposed to eat it because it's not organic. I told him that was the meal I was offering and he didn't have to eat it if he didn't want to. He ate it all and appeared fine, no issues or complaints. My question is #1 was it right on my behalf to serve him our meal versus his. My assumption was that on the food program documentation must follow for a substitution meal. #2 If and when documentation is provided am I then responsible for preparing his meal based on his diet or can his mother provide his meal. The mother stated she would prefer to prepare and bring his meal. Sorry this is so long .
I would continue to feed meals that Mom provides and not claim the child until the issue is resolved. Give Mom 3 days to provide documentation of medical necessity. If you don't receive the documentation, I'd assume Mom lied to me and I would term for that. Lots of parents put their kids on fad diets (and while gluten-free is a necessity for some, it's nothing more than a way for parents to get attention in some cases-I don't mean to offend anyone with an intolerance, but I have NO respect for parents who put their kids on fad diets). Gluten-free is necessary for some, but a child who doesn't require gluten-free misses out on the benefits of whole grains.
daycare_jen 07:14 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Gluten-free is necessary for some, but a child who doesn't require gluten-free misses out on the benefits of whole grains.
I am going to disagree with this... there are whole grains which do not contain gluten. Corn, buckwheat, certified-gluten free oats, rice, wild rice, and quinoa would be the most known, there are some more. A gluten free diet does not mean a child would miss out on whole grains.
Luvnmykidz 08:02 PM 06-14-2014
Prior to Me accepting the child into care mom was informed that I provide meals and don't allow meals to be provided by parents unless there are food allergies. I have children with food allergies and decided before I open I would provide meals to ensure my own children aren't exposed to allergens. I am aware of how dangerous it could be to give a child things they may be allergic to and I was hesitant to feed him. The meal was wheat crackers cheese tomatoes Turkey and peaches. I told mom that if he has allergies to foods I recommend him staying home until she has the proper documentation. Mom chose to bring him and upon signing him in brought his lunch and said she didn't have the paperwork for him to eat it and she knew I had stated I won't feed it without an order from the dr and she understood. She wasn't upset which made me feel as if it wasn't medical but her preference. I see where I made some rookie mistakes for sure. I spoke to the mom recently today just to tell her I wouldn't accept him back into care without the order and to see how he was. She said he was fine and that she understands and hopes to have the documentation by Monday afternoon, but the doctor wants to see him before filling it out. My gut says that he doesn't have any food allergies but I felt that I handled it wrong and wanted to hear from you all. I think if she hasn't furnished paperwork by Wednesday I will assume she lied and term.
Also she mentioned at the interview he doesn't have celiac disease just food allergies and food allergies are not listed on any of his enrollment forms. I mentioned to mom that allergies and medical conditions must be listed on his paperwork so she wrote it before leaving him.
midaycare 08:11 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Lots of parents put their kids on fad diets (and while gluten-free is a necessity for some, it's nothing more than a way for parents to get attention in some cases-I don't mean to offend anyone with an intolerance, but I have NO respect for parents who put their kids on fad diets). Gluten-free is necessary for some, but a child who doesn't require gluten-free misses out on the benefits of whole grains.
Hmmm ... I'm not sure gluten free falls under "fad" diets. It's not fun to eat gluten free, it can be a lot of work, and forget about ever eating out - unless you live in LA, Chicago, New York, or some other big city, you are out of luck. Not to mention expensive. I have to eat fresh everything, because packaged foods almost always = gluten.

Whole grains can also be given in other, gluten free ways. Much healthier ways, too. But I will get off the "gluten free is healthier" soapbox. Anyone can eat unhealthy, even those on a gluten free diet. I mean ... most chocolate is gluten free.
itlw8 08:22 PM 06-14-2014
The federal rule for the food program is that paperwork needs to be filled out for every child in attendace. ( so yes they are enrolled) All parents may opt out of the food program. This may be the best choice for the parent and she brings all food.

fad, allergy, intolerance, ADHD, Celiac it really does not matter what is the reason the child is gluten free and mom needs to send the food. It is so easy to contaminate the childs food If you have a crumb on the counter, use the same knife. etc.

Remember gluten free also pertains to art material for some children. Especially playdough. They should only use gluten free playdough.
midaycare 08:26 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:

Remember gluten free also pertains to art material for some children. Especially playdough. They should only use gluten free playdough.
Oh my goodness - you learn something new every day! Thanks!
Luvnmykidz 08:32 PM 06-14-2014
I didn't even think about the playdoh needing to be gluten free. During the interview he was offered playdoh or wooden blocks, he chose the play doh first. Mom stated he loves play doh and has so many different colors and often he sneaks a bite of it. He put a piece in his mouth during the interview and I explained its for playing not eating and put it away. She just laughed and said that's Jim he samples all sorts of things.
midaycare 09:02 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by Luvnmykidz:
I didn't even think about the playdoh needing to be gluten free. During the interview he was offered playdoh or wooden blocks, he chose the play doh first. Mom stated he loves play doh and has so many different colors and often he sneaks a bite of it. He put a piece in his mouth during the interview and I explained its for playing not eating and put it away. She just laughed and said that's Jim he samples all sorts of things.
That's disgusting. Why is she laughing about her child eating playdoh?
SignMeUp 08:30 PM 06-14-2014
I actually have had parents who have wanted their child to eat gluten-free as a life choice. There was no medical need. They just thought it was a good idea for me to do it. They themselves did not eat gluten-free, but that is how they wanted me to feed their child. I did consider it a bit of a fad, or a way of making their child more special, or something, not exactly sure how to classify that
They could not provide documentation of medical need, so the best I could come up with was that they could decline the food program. We are told we must offer it, but a parent can decline it. Then I asked the parent to provide the food.
In the end, it did not work out. Not the food part, just the over-all expectations of these parents. They ultimately wanted to be sure that this child was more special than any other child in care, and that was just not okay with me.
midaycare 09:01 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I actually have had parents who have wanted their child to eat gluten-free as a life choice. There was no medical need. They just thought it was a good idea for me to do it. They themselves did not eat gluten-free, but that is how they wanted me to feed their child. I did consider it a bit of a fad, or a way of making their child more special, or something, not exactly sure how to classify that
They could not provide documentation of medical need, so the best I could come up with was that they could decline the food program. We are told we must offer it, but a parent can decline it. Then I asked the parent to provide the food.
In the end, it did not work out. Not the food part, just the over-all expectations of these parents. They ultimately wanted to be sure that this child was more special than any other child in care, and that was just not okay with me.
So do as I say, not as I do? I had an interview on Friday and I could tell the parents were going to be obnoxious. Their little snowflake needed the best of everything. And he wasn't even born yet! I passed.

If someone told me how to eat, I'd be furious. Oh wait, my doctor already does that. Boo! No holiday card for him.
Tags:food program
Reply Up