Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Sign in/out
Yes 35 63.64%
No 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Signing Kids In And Out
awestbrook713 01:09 PM 01-04-2012
How many of you have parents sign their kids in and out? I just started this mainly for records for the state paid kids but figured I would do it for all, the parents keep looking at me like I'm asking for a million dollars each time I ask them to sign, where does all this laziness come from these days
WImom 01:10 PM 01-04-2012
We are required by licensing even if we don't take state paid or particpate in the food program.
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 01-04-2012
I require everyone to sign in and out as well.

Signing in and out each day is great business practice in many ways.

I bill according to pick up time. If a parent forgets to sign in or out, they are billed for the whole day. Amazing how everyone remembers when there is money attached.
daycare 01:17 PM 01-04-2012
I do it for many reason

1. Taxes, it is proof that their child was present in my car.I tell parents that they are throwing their own money away when they don't sign it.

2. Can be used as a court document. I have actually had mine called into court for a couple that was going through a divorce. The dad was not dropping of when he was supposed to or was picking up late causing late fees, then expecting the mom to pay them. It also showed that the dad was not picking up on the days that he was supposed to have the kid and the dad was busted. Since the mom was the one signing the kid out on dads day.

3.In the event of an emergency. It will show who was or was not in my care that day. This way if something happens to a child I can show if the child was in my care or not... Remeber that case where the mom said the girl was at the daycare, but the girl was not....I think it was the casey anthony case??

4. Food program
awestbrook713 01:22 PM 01-04-2012
Well I should have been doing it from the beginning but I am still learning and started this for 2012. I am just floored by how much issue I am having with it. Just sign the paper and go jeeze.
SandeeAR 01:27 PM 01-04-2012
Started it my 2nd year. Told them my CPA required it for proof for the IRS.
daycare 01:31 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Well I should have been doing it from the beginning but I am still learning and started this for 2012. I am just floored by how much issue I am having with it. Just sign the paper and go jeeze.
do you have a penalty for not signing it??
Zoe 01:33 PM 01-04-2012
I have a time sheet for everyone, but I don't have the parents do it. I just write in the time myself. I can see, however, the benefits of having them doing it as a way to prove without a doubt that the child was in your care at a certain time.
grandmom 01:35 PM 01-04-2012
I suggest a page for each child vs. a page for each day. That way if you are called to court, or audited by state subsidy, you only have to produce that child's information. Also, the other parents have no business knowing who else comes, or when they get there or leave.
daycare 01:42 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I suggest a page for each child vs. a page for each day. That way if you are called to court, or audited by state subsidy, you only have to produce that child's information. Also, the other parents have no business knowing who else comes, or when they get there or leave.
Great point....This is how I do it too.

I have a blank calendar that I print off each month from microsoft publisher for each child. Parents are required to sign in with the ACTUAL time they drop off, writing down the time with full signature. Same goes for pick up.

I have it in a 3 ring note book by the front door with colored dividers by childs first name only. The dividers have pockets. If I have an important note for the parent, I pakcet it in there for them as well.
Heidi 01:51 PM 01-04-2012
We are required to use the state's form, which has everyone's name listed on it. They tell us that is suggested the parents sign it daily, but there is only a space for time daily, and a place to sign at the end of the week.

I sign them in and out because my parent's would never remember, and I would end up writing it in anyway, and if I didn't would pay the penalty.
PitterPatter 01:55 PM 01-04-2012
I voted yes. State and private pay both sign in and out daily. State requires their clients to for payment purposes and I also enforce it with private pay because that way I have proof of the exact times and dates their children were in care. In case of accidents etc or parents simply claiming they dont owe because little johnny wasnt here that day or they wasn't late etc. Documentation has become VERY important here.

I have 1 sheet that has the whole month and it simply gets filed in their folder each month I make a new one.
awestbrook713 02:00 PM 01-04-2012
I am using the sign in/out sheet from MMK it has each kids name on it and a place for sign in time parent signature and sign out time and signature not that difficult. I have it on the counter right by the door they have to come in and stand by while their child gets their coat and shoes on. I will make this grow on them, I guess I will just have to deal with the looks and questions for a bit.
Cat Herder 02:15 PM 01-04-2012
I am also legally required to. I use the ones from MMK, too.

I have to keep them for a minimum of two years and have them available for my inspector to see at all times.

It is to protect children against child warehousing and ensure correct age ratios.
mismatchedsocks 02:17 PM 01-04-2012
I answered no, because the parents dont do the signing in and out, I sign the kids in and out. There is a spot to have the parents sign at end of week, but i dont have them sign it because its not mandatory.
Meeko 08:13 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
Great point....This is how I do it too.

I have a blank calendar that I print off each month from microsoft publisher for each child. Parents are required to sign in with the ACTUAL time they drop off, writing down the time with full signature. Same goes for pick up.

I have it in a 3 ring note book by the front door with colored dividers by childs first name only. The dividers have pockets. If I have an important note for the parent, I pakcet it in there for them as well.
I do the same. I like having a calendar instead of just a date. It shows a pattern of attendance at a glance.
melskids 03:21 AM 01-05-2012
I am using the sign in/out sheet from MMK it has each kids name on it and a place for sign in time parent signature and sign out time and signature not that difficult. I have it on the counter right by the door they have to come in and stand by while their child gets their coat and shoes on. I will make this grow on them, I guess I will just have to deal with the looks and questions for a bit.
are you on the food program? if you are, we are required to have them sign in and out each day.

I stood guard by the door with the clipboard for a week or two until they all got the hang of it. now they all do it with out a second thought. I still have to check occasionally, to make sure they are putting the right date and time down.

sometimes people will grumble over anything just to have something to grumble about.

a simple "please sign in" or "please sign out" and a blank stare with a smile outta get the point across.
awestbrook713 05:22 AM 01-05-2012
I am on the food program. You are in NY right melskids? I was never told I needed them to sign in and out. And my other issue is kids that don't arrive here with their parents but off the school bus. I have just been putting the time and bus drop off next to it and then have the parents sign out at the end of the day. I had a surprise inspection for the food program in december and she never said a word, can things be different county to county? Oh well I am doing it now.

On a side note I had a mom drop off daughter in a hurry this morning she never stepped through the door just kissed her daughter and left, so I put the time and was going to have her sign when she picked her up today, I got a txt a few minutes later stating she realized she never signed her in and would take care of it when she picked up. These moments of responsibility make me smile.
melskids 08:34 AM 01-05-2012
I am on the food program. You are in NY right melskids? I was never told I needed them to sign in and out. And my other issue is kids that don't arrive here with their parents but off the school bus. I have just been putting the time and bus drop off next to it and then have the parents sign out at the end of the day. I had a surprise inspection for the food program in december and she never said a word, can things be different county to county? Oh well I am doing it now.

On a side note I had a mom drop off daughter in a hurry this morning she never stepped through the door just kissed her daughter and left, so I put the time and was going to have her sign when she picked her up today, I got a txt a few minutes later stating she realized she never signed her in and would take care of it when she picked up. These moments of responsibility make me smile.
I'm not sure if its different county to county or not. I know if we dont do it, we are in violation, so i would call your sponsor to double check. they dont ask for the sign in sheet when they come do a food visit?
DaisyMamma 08:43 AM 01-05-2012
I started doing it for 2012 because I was having parents show up late and I wasnt charging a late fee. I thought this way they could see what time they are arriving.
Amazingly the mom I'm having trouble with signed out at 5:30, eventhough the parent before her wrote 5:31. So I'm guessing this won't work. although it's better than the usual 15 minutes!
awestbrook713 09:19 AM 01-05-2012
They ask for my food program sheets where I mark present or absent and which meals I have fed the children and the sheets I actually record the meals we have had for the day but thats it. I even tried giving her the attendance sheet I mark each day and she said she doesn't need it. Just the food program paperwork.

Yea I am waiting for someone to do that too, I actually tell them what time it is and they can look at my clock and double check if they like but I am already prepared to stop that right away.
Cat Herder 09:53 AM 01-05-2012
I write the times in myself BEFORE I hand them the clipboard to sign.
DaisyMamma 10:00 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Excellent, I hadn't thought of that! I was going to get a digital clock to put on the clipboard.
wdmmom 10:58 AM 01-05-2012
I don't have parents sign in/out. That would mean arrivals and departures take longer. Once they are longer, they get more drawn out. You have the possibility of kids throwing a fit, the parents wanting to chat, etc.

I have my own appointment book. I have each child's name written in the book. I usually make the schedule up a week at a time and in pencil. That way if someone stays home, I just erase their name. I also use the notebook to do the breakfast/lunch menu and how many kids I fed what meal each day.

I also work on contracted hours. Parents know when drop off and when pick up is. I also send a text when late charges start incurring.
MarinaVanessa 11:22 AM 01-05-2012
I have every parent sign their child in and out even though I'm not required to for the following reasons.

1. Taxes. If I'm ever audited I have parent signatures that show their in and out times to prove my time/space %.
2. Safety. Many times parents try send their child to my front door while they sit in their car and I don't want the liability. This way they are required to come inside my home with their child.
3. Proof. Keeping attendance and having them sign in to the minute helps me keep track of who drops off early/late and picks up late. When I have to sit down to chat with a parent about late pick-ups and they do the "I'm not THAT late THAT often" routine I already have copies of their sign-in sheets with the times that they are late highlighted so they can visually see how often they're late.
PitterPatter 04:33 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
That is a great idea if it works.

I tried that before because I had a DCD that arrived very late always interrupting breakfast and would sign DCB in like he was on time. Then late for pick up and signed DCB out 15-30 minutes earlier than what the actual time was! (Like I'm not going to check it) 1st he said "oh my bad" but it continued. When I confronted him again he showed me his watch. He actually changed the time to do this stunt! I then showed him MY clock and changed it and started writing the time in as he arrived before I even opened the door. He must have complained because the office called and said I am not permitted to enter the times unless I am picking children up from school. They are gone now though. They got tired of all the late fees.
PitterPatter 04:35 PM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by lymemomma:
Excellent, I hadn't thought of that! I was going to get a digital clock to put on the clipboard.
That's a great idea!! Where can we find something that attaches to our clipboards?

Even for my honest clients that would be helpful.
Cat Herder 05:11 PM 01-05-2012
Oddly enough I never even considered NOT filling in the times myself. I am soooo type A. It never occurred to me.

I tend to do most everything paper work related myself (updating contact forms, allergy forms, feeding plans, etc) and leave parents the minimum tasks/due dates to keep up with. Typically all they do is initial the pre-printed info and notify me if anything is wrong once or twice a year, as needed.

As for time issues. It takes 30 seconds each to sign in. Most days they pass the clipboard down the walk like a conga line as the kids file in. (all are here in first 1-15 minutes of opening every day)

For me it has nothing to do with billing. It is documentation for licensing that I am operating within legal constraints. Just plain attendance. I guess I never thought about it as being "about" the parents. It is just MY paperwork....
snbauser 05:20 PM 01-05-2012
Every parent signs in and out with the exact time and full signature. I use the MMK form. I have a small travel size digital clock on top of my cubbies right in front of the sign in sheets.
JeepGirl6 11:32 AM 01-06-2012
I am also just starting the sign in/out sheet... Does each child have their own sheet or do u have all the parents sign on the same sheet???
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I am also just starting the sign in/out sheet... Does each child have their own sheet or do u have all the parents sign on the same sheet???
I have them all on the same sheet.

Otherwise I'd have to have 6X as many clipboards, file folders and enforcing to do.

Nobody is willing to be the only one who did not sign when everyone can see.
Blackcat31 11:53 AM 01-06-2012
I also keep them all on the same sheet. I use this sheet:
PitterPatter 07:34 PM 01-06-2012
I have them sign their names and times. Sometimes there are other people picking up and I want that persons signature just in case.

Once a DCM wanted to go out with a new guy after work so she calls telling me to allow an old friend to pick up because she had no one else. I told her I can not allow it because that name is not in writing on the permission form. So she sent a text and wrote a note for the friend she hadn't seen for a year to come pick her 2 yr old up. A lot can happen in a year but she didn't care to listen and demanded the old friend pick her kid up. I called my licensor and he said since DCM called and told me along with a hand written note and a text from the parents phone then that would be sufficient proof. Thank goodness nothing odd happened!
beachgrl 04:36 PM 01-07-2012
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I like this, may want to change mine so its tha way..never thought of that but its true.
Carsonsmom04 09:09 PM 01-14-2012
Signing in & out is state required in Miss. There is a sign in/out clip board posted by each room. I keep it simple:

Name of child: Time in Parent Signature Time Out Parent Signature

I usually already have each childs name listed on the right hand side, so i can also use it for daily absents & thats also the clip board that the teacher grabs during our fire drills, if you know of a child who is there & someone forgot to sign them in, the teacher usually writes mom or dad & at pick up time, gets the parent to sign both in & out... I DO NOT allow initals!!
Sunchimes 05:40 AM 01-15-2012
I just started this in January. I got a spiral weekly planner from the dollar store. Each week is on one page. I just drew a line down the middle and wrote In and Out. Two of my families have never used day care before, and it took them a few days to catch on, but they remember better than I do now. The other had already dealt with a center, so anything I tell her, she's on board.
Before Jan 1, I just wrote it on a wall calendar myself. This feels more official.
PghGurl 11:01 PM 01-19-2012
Blackcat31 thank you for posting your form. I'm going to use it. : )
renodeb 09:30 AM 01-24-2012
I have to have a sign in/out book for the food program and for my own records. Now getting the parents to remember is a totally other issue!
Debbie
Tags:attendance sheet, child warehousing, poll, ratio, ratios, sign in, sign in - sample, signing out
Reply Up