Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Lunch Time Manners
Mimmy 03:05 PM 04-03-2012
I have a 20 months toddler who is in daycare. When I went to pick up today, it was snack time. The teacher had removed tops of all kids to avoid messy clothes. Is it normal for day care to follow this process of removing tops to avoid mess on the clothes?

I was shocked by it and when questioned, I was told that none other parents had objection to it and it was their standard routine as long as the kid does not cry. I am wondering if other day cares do this or is it just this one? Are there any policies against it?
Michael 03:48 PM 04-03-2012
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
Heidi 04:28 PM 04-03-2012
Welcome Mimmy!

If they are toddlers, I would not think twice about it. I have done it, but they are all boys, so I guess I haven't considered if one of the toddlers were a girl.

I have a 3 1/2 yo dc girl who has 3 brothers, and when they peel of their shirts, she wants to, also. Being from Germany originally, I would think nothing of it, but I called mom and asked her ok. Only because the child is 3 1/2 though, and I know Americans can be a little more sensitive about nudity.

If it makes you uncomfortable, just ask them not to do it with your child. Tell them you will deal with the messy shirt (they can wipe it off somewhat), but you want your child to stay dressed.
MizzCheryl 05:02 PM 04-03-2012
Yes it is normal in my neck of the woods. I let toddlers feed themselves when appriopriate. I have a 15 month old that loves spaghetti, mac n cheese, and all kinda messy stuff. He feeds himself great and LOVES it. So if it is a messy meal, yep I take off his shirt. Otherwise it is gonna be a mess! even with a bib.
He learns more, eats better and enjoys feeding himself. I clean up the mess and don't mind a bit. A 3 year old is not as messy so no need to take off their shirt.
DaycareMama 06:04 PM 04-03-2012
I personally wouldn't do it. I would either provide bibs or if they get dirty change them.
Im not sure I would be happy walking in and seeing that either. Just my opinion
Meyou 03:11 AM 04-04-2012
I normally go with large bibs for messy meals with messy eaters but I have been know to strip off shirts for spaghetti or ice cream. It's much easier to clean them up IMO and less dirty clothes for the parents to wash.
Kaddidle Care 04:51 AM 04-04-2012
Put your child in an undershirt and send a spare.

It's an interesting concept.. our children are 2 1/2 and up and the only time I can remember stripping a shirt off a child and keeping it off is when he spiked a high temp(104) and Mom was on the way.

We HAVE offered paint smocks to children when eating those nasty Chef Boyardee lunches. (Parents provide lunch) One child used to get them all the time and he was the messiest eater ever. He was also 5 and was off to Kindy right after lunch so we did our best to keep him clean.
bzmommy 03:37 PM 04-10-2012
I use bibs. I bought them at Walmart for $5 each. They wipe off, you can hand wash them, or throw them in the dryer. I just joined this group and am not sure yet if I can post an image. If I can figure it out, I will post a pic of them. I LOVE them.
Tags:lunch, manners
Reply Up