Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle Incarcerated Parents
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:05 AM 11-13-2014
I have a 4yo whose DCD is in jail, and has been since August. IDK why, but today he's been talking about it. He tells his little friends, "I have a dad. His name is ____. He was bad and he is in jail."

I am not sure how to handle this. As of yet, I haven't done anything other than distract with the next order of business. Being in jail is certainly not the norm for the area I live in nor the clientele I serve, and I don't want DCB telling the other kids this. But I don't want to make him feel shame about it by asking him not to.

He has said things to the above effect no less than 20 times today. How would you handle this? Ignore and/or redirect, ask DCM to talk to him about it, or tell DCB in a nice way that isn't a topic of conversation for daycare? I am at a loss here.
Annalee 09:13 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have a 4yo whose DCD is in jail, and has been since August. IDK why, but today he's been talking about it. He tells his little friends, "I have a dad. His name is ____. He was bad and he is in jail."

I am not sure how to handle this. As of yet, I haven't done anything other than distract with the next order of business. Being in jail is certainly not the norm for the area I live in nor the clientele I serve, and I don't want DCB telling the other kids this. But I don't want to make him feel shame about it by asking him not to.

He has said things to the above effect no less than 20 times today. How would you handle this? Ignore and/or redirect, ask DCM to talk to him about it, or tell DCB in a nice way that isn't a topic of conversation for daycare? I am at a loss here.
In an appropriate way, might be a good time to talk about choices/consequences....I try to tell my own kids, in particular, that their choices. not only affect them, but they will affect everyone's lives that are around them.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:23 AM 11-13-2014
I know of a teacher who specializes in this topic. She has lots of information here.
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I know of a teacher who specializes in this topic. She has lots of information here.
Thanks for sharing that NWOJ!!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:52 AM 11-13-2014
You're welcome! I used to glean so much useful stuff from Sydney when I was a part of a more-vibrant-and-usable-than-it-is-now Reggio discussion group. I knew she was especially interested in children of incarcerated parents, and I still get emails about conferences and such on the topic, but I've never had reason to use it. Glad to have found someone who needs it!
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:47 AM 11-13-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
This is great! Thank you! I will pour over this tonight and see what course of action to take.

Thank you so much!
Reply Up