Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worst mother ever...
Unregistered 07:35 AM 01-08-2014
I win idiot mother of the year award today. I used to transport, but starting this semester I was no longer transporting. I signed up my 6yo Kindergarten DS for the bus. It picks up at 7:15am. I sent him out there this morning, forgetting that they had a late start. I brought him back in and thought it was a 2 hour late start for some reason (probably with all the dang delays due to weather messing me up) and it was only a 1 hour late start on Wednesdays.

Needless to say he missed the bus by an hour and I called him in. I would have to call DH to come take him and he's at work... I don't have my 11m old dcb's carseat at all.

I lied and said he wasn't feeling well - scared to death they'd call me negligent or something. My logic here is that it is just Kindergarten - and just one day. Am I wrong? Do I call DH or grandma (she has to drive in 20 minutes to town)? I just want to cry.
TaylorTots 07:40 AM 01-08-2014
I would call him in - in my state Kindergarten is not mandatory anyway Here you have to have them in documented school by 7 years old -- or 1st grade. Just do some fun Kindergarten appropriate activities for him today and keep his mind in school mode!
daycare 07:42 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I win idiot mother of the year award today. I used to transport, but starting this semester I was no longer transporting. I signed up my 6yo Kindergarten DS for the bus. It picks up at 7:15am. I sent him out there this morning, forgetting that they had a late start. I brought him back in and thought it was a 2 hour late start for some reason (probably with all the dang delays due to weather messing me up) and it was only a 1 hour late start on Wednesdays.

Needless to say he missed the bus by an hour and I called him in. I would have to call DH to come take him and he's at work... I don't have my 11m old dcb's carseat at all.

I lied and said he wasn't feeling well - scared to death they'd call me negligent or something. My logic here is that it is just Kindergarten - and just one day. Am I wrong? Do I call DH or grandma (she has to drive in 20 minutes to town)? I just want to cry.
omg you sound like me......

NO, it's not that big of a deal, I would just tell your child that mommy got confused because of the really bad weather and made a little mistake. Leave it at that.

I messed up a few weeks before christams, took off to care for my ill family member leaving my husband and asst to run the daycare. I didn't think about the fact my son would not have a way to get to kinder........ He enjoyed a day home with the kids and had no issue going back the next day.

DOnt beat yourself up, we are only human
cheerfuldom 07:58 AM 01-08-2014
not a big deal
mountainside13 08:10 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

It's ok! Mistakes happen! We are all human!
Cat Herder 08:21 AM 01-08-2014
It is all in your head... he probably thinks it is funny and awesome. Playing hookey with Mom.

I have woken, fed and dressed my kids for school on a Saturday... more than once.

It happens.
dalman 09:56 AM 01-08-2014
No big deal. He will not miss anything monumental in just one day. In Kindergarten, the motto is "repetition equals retention", meaning, any new concept is repeated over and over and over. What happened today in class, will more than likely be reviewed tomorrow. Let him enjoy his mental health day.
TaylorTots 10:49 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is all in your head... he probably thinks it is funny and awesome. Playing hookey with Mom.

I have woken, fed and dressed my kids for school on a Saturday... more than once.

It happens.
I am so glad I am not the only one to do this. I am notorious for doing this on weeks that have holidays on Monday or Friday that DH is home or I have no dcks.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 01-08-2014
Member but logged out.

I give my kid days off. My kid has always done very well in school and when I notice the need for a day off I let it happen. Mental Health whatever you want to call it. We all could use a break from time to time. I am the parent and I make the call on this. I know my child best. There are learning opportunities that happen that are not just in school, such as the fairs. Yes they are fun but they are also packed with a lot of learning.

My other child that struggles goes to school everyday because that child needs that.

Cut yourself a break and don't worry about it- Might make you feel better to ask the teacher if your child missed anything that you can make up or work on at home.
Cat Herder 11:16 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:
I am so glad I am not the only one to do this. I am notorious for doing this on weeks that have holidays on Monday or Friday that DH is home or I have no dcks.
Exactly...

The kids love it because I usually end up taking them to the library and a matinée as an apology for the rude awakening (teens)...

They like to see we are human and learn how to admit/cope with their own mistakes by watching how we deal with ours.

No harm, no foul and a fun story at the Thanksgiving table in 20 years.
Tags:funny, sweet
Reply Up