Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Group Daycare in a Duplex
littlesuperheroes 08:08 AM 04-19-2016
My best friend and I are buying a 3 unit duplex, all ground level and all have 2 bedrooms. I will be using one unit for my daycare. I will be opening a group daycare as there will be 2 of us. I'm in Kansas and I believe one of us has to reside in the home. Would combining two of the units with a door be enough?
Thriftylady 08:18 AM 04-19-2016
I would call and ask licensing, before I made the purchase. I would hate to spend the money and find out the answer is no.
rosieteddy 08:26 AM 04-19-2016
I knew a provider friend who did that.She used a first floor apartment for the daycare .Then she closed the door and went upstairs to her apartment at night.She did not have a problem . Sounds like you have a good set up .Check with your licencor.
DaveA 08:31 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would call and ask licensing, before I made the purchase. I would hate to spend the money and find out the answer is no.
This. You might have to go through local zoning. Depending on how they are legally classified, you may have to have the one for daycare and the one you live in rezoned as 1 unit.
Thriftylady 08:43 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
This. You might have to go through local zoning. Depending on how they are legally classified, you may have to have the one for daycare and the one you live in rezoned as 1 unit.
Wondering how much of a long, drawn out hassle that would be?
DaveA 10:14 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wondering how much of a long, drawn out hassle that would be?
Depends on the jurisdiction. I've helped with it being done before. Ours was a snap: applied for the change, inspector came out and listened to our plans, and we went to the next board meeting. We gave a quick explanation, the inspector recommended it, and we got approval that evening.
Thriftylady 10:26 AM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Depends on the jurisdiction. I've helped with it being done before. Ours was a snap: applied for the change, inspector came out and listened to our plans, and we went to the next board meeting. We gave a quick explanation, the inspector recommended it, and we got approval that evening.
Somehow I imagined it taking months and tons of paperwork. Not that I have ever done it.
Tags:duplex, group care
Reply Up