Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eating in front of DCK's
Givingthemgrace 11:31 AM 01-08-2015
I'm pregnant and lately I have been eating something small every hour or two. I really can't wait for the kid's meal times, my vision blacks out, I start dry heaving, not good stuff. So the problem is the two little kids (just under 2yrs) want to eat every time I'm eating. I'm eating pretty healthy but if they snack with me they aren't eating at snack time or a good lunch anymore. They are too young to explain that it's just my snack time. Do I just let them snack and hope I can eat more at a time in the future? I Could just let between meal snacks be unscheduled for a while. It's just me watching them. WWYD?
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 01-08-2015
I would just say no.

Kids need to learn that they don't always get something just because someone else has something.

I drink coffee all day. If a child wanted some just because I have some, I'd say no.

I see nothing wrong with saying "No, its not snack/lunch time right now. Sorry. Now go play"

I know you said they are too young to "understand" but I don't necessarily agree....if you simply repeat the above, they WILL eventually get it and if they are smart enough to know its time to eat when you eat, they are smart enough to understand no.
Controlled Chaos 11:39 AM 01-08-2015
Just tell them NO I was pregnant twice while providing daycare on my own. If you consistently only feed them when they are in their high chairs/seats at meal times they will learn that is the only time they eat. Grown ups get to eat when they want.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:58 AM 01-08-2015
I rarely eat at the same time as the kids, as I usually have a few that need to be spoon-fed, and it just isn't possible. And I often have something different. It has never occurred to me to share my food or drink with them, nor have they ever asked.

I'm old-school like Blackcat, though, and have no trouble setting boundaries and the clear distinction between adults and children. I also am aware that 2yo understand far more than many realize. I just laugh at parents that love to brag about how SMART their LO is, then treat them like utter morons when it comes to anything difficult like discipline, honing respect and humility, or self-control. Instead, they make excuses saying that they don't understand or will get confused.

I think that is part of the problem with the shocking behavior of many kids and adults alike these days-instilling a sense of entitlement to them at a very early age. Just ask John Rosemond.
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
. Just ask John Rosemond.
OMG! I him!!

I've rarely ran across another person who even knows who he is.

I raised both my kids according to his "Parent Power" book. (I think it's called something different now though) and used it like bible.

BEST parenting book EVER!!!!
Play Care 12:50 PM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would just say no.

Kids need to learn that they don't always get something just because someone else has something.

I drink coffee all day. If a child wanted some just because I have some, I'd say no.

I see nothing wrong with saying "No, its not snack/lunch time right now. Sorry. Now go play"

I know you said they are too young to "understand" but I don't necessarily agree....if you simply repeat the above, they WILL eventually get it and if they are smart enough to know its time to eat when you eat, they are smart enough to understand no.

Due to my hypoglycemia I need to eat small amount frequently. So after the children eat I make myself some toast or a mini bagel to eat at the counter while supervising free play. Last week a 3 yo child refused breakfast but then when I was having my snack came to the table and told me I "forgot" to feed her
She was sent from the table with "lunch will be in a couple of hours!"
Givingthemgrace 02:57 PM 01-08-2015
Okay thank you. I will just say no.
sahm1225 08:04 PM 01-08-2015
I just wanted to tell you that I read your post as 'FARTING' in front of dck and I started laughing
Sunshine74 08:29 PM 01-08-2015
OMG! I him!!

I raised both my kids according to his "Parent Power" book. (I think it's called something different now though) and used it like bible.

OT, but, even though I have never heard of him, it sounds like all parents need to read his book!
Josiegirl 02:48 AM 01-09-2015
Off to look up John Rosemund. Maybe his book plus Nannyde's book ought to be next year's Christmas gifts to all dcps.

As far as eating in front of dcks, your reason for doing it is legitimate. I try to be discreet because I don't share chocolate.
Unregistered 04:16 AM 01-09-2015
I say no, just this morning I had a bowl of cereal after the dcks had gotten here. One dcg2 said I want some to and I just told her no this is my breakfast, you've already had breakfast. You will have snack soon. And left it at that she never bothered anymore.
midaycare 04:27 AM 01-09-2015
I always eat in front of dck's. I'm to busy to eat while they eat. If any dck asks I just say, "You had your breakfast/snack/lunch, know it's Mrs. Midaycare's turn". If they ask again, I just say no. They understand. Don't feel bad. They aren't starving.
cara041083 07:34 AM 01-09-2015
I would just say no.

KIDZRMYBIZ 12:57 PM 01-09-2015
OMG! I him!!

Agreed! I reference him all the time. I loaned out my Parent Power book once and it never came back, and I had had it signed by him when he spoke in my city.

A few of my DCFs have said he is too harsh, but I don't agree. His methods are for chronic, major, or about to become major discipline problems. For the well-behaved child, just giving the stink eye or scolding is all it takes. If their child were in that category, I wouldn't be having a convo with them that involves a suggestion of Rosemond, now would I?
Reply Up