Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Absolute NERVE Of This Woman
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:43 AM 03-20-2013
So I have Strep Throat, that was diagnosed yesterday.

Last night my ds started throwing up at around 11 pm, every 10 min.

He is still throwing up as we speak.

I have been awake since 5:30am, Tuesday. I had a 6am arrival.

I have been awake for over 25 hours now and I am exhausted.

I called all my parents this morning and told them I was closing today. They all said ok, I will call back up, get well quick.

One called back and said I called 3 people no one can take him. I said well I guess you call in sick then. She said today is just a bad day to do this. I said well we are sick, I'm sorry.

She said ok I will call you back. 2 minutes later she shows up at my door. I open it and she plunks down the car seat and says no one will take him, I have to work, and I don't care if he gets sick and walks out.

WHILE MY SON IS UPSTAIRS SCREAMING FOR ME BECAUSE HE IS PUKING AGAIN.

I am so done with this career and rude, brainless parents. I'm so mad I could spit.
Heidi 07:45 AM 03-20-2013
I would have told her "are you kidding me?" no, I WILL not take him! Bye!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 03-20-2013
No flippin' way!!!!!

I'd be calling that mom and demanding she come right back and get her child. If she refused I would be calling CPS.

No way in he77 I would let a parent tell me I HAVE to care for their child when I am closed!!!!!!!

She'd be getting termed IMMEDIATELY too!
bunnyslippers 07:48 AM 03-20-2013
Oh wow! Just WOW!!!

I totally feel for you ~ I had a sick family last week, and it led to many arguments/discussions with parents. I was baffled by it, and still am.

I think in your case, I would call her back immediately and tell her she has to come get the child. Let her know that you CAN'T take care of him when your own child needs your full attention. Give her no longer than 30 minutes, and then start calling emergency contacts If you can financially swing it ~ have her immediate termination policy in hand when she picks up.

If she refuses, I would let her know you will be calling the police, as she is abandoning her child. You told her you were closed!!!!!

Sorry about this ~ I hate this part of the job!!!!
jokalima 07:48 AM 03-20-2013
Just term then please, call them and tell them they have to pick up right now. That is just showing no respect at all to you or your family and I am sorry for that.
TheGoodLife 07:49 AM 03-20-2013
Wow! That's when you call in an abandonment case... I hope you have a good termination policy in your contract and they are GONE immediately- let's see if she has time to take off to find a new DC now!
Willow 07:50 AM 03-20-2013
Why did you even open the door??

Call her and tell her to come pick up her child or you're calling the proper authorities.

Don't get mad, just stop letting people treat you like crap. You're the only one who can do that. It will get better when you start requiring respect. Right now you are allowing this to happen and of course that's not going to feel good!
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:51 AM 03-20-2013
She wont answer her phone. Neither will her sister.
crazydaycarelady 07:53 AM 03-20-2013
I think I would term also. I just would not be able to deal with that disrespect. I have in my contract that all parents should have a back-up and even though I rarely ever call in sick it does happen. I would term tonight.

Hope you feel better soon!
NeedaVaca 07:53 AM 03-20-2013

I honestly can't even think of a response that isn't filled with bad words!!! TERM-how incredibly rude, selfish, disrespectful-no WAY would I have even let her in the door! Call her right now and make her come back, hand her a term letter! Tell her if she's not back within 20 minutes you are calling CPS! I am SO SORRY for you right now
bunnyslippers 07:54 AM 03-20-2013
Please tell me you are going to term her immediately. I really would call CPS or the police. Is there a dad in the picture? Grandparents? Call her at work!!!! I am just so angry for you!!!
Oneluckymom 07:54 AM 03-20-2013
Take out your emergency contacts and start calling every one of them. Text mom telling her that you are calling all of the emergency contacts.

UNBELIEVABLE!! She has NO respect for you or your family.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Then continue calling the emergency contacts on her list.

Call her work. Call the authorities....she has abandoned her child!

WTH?!?!
Mom&Provider 07:55 AM 03-20-2013
I hope you have called this RUDE DCM and TOLD her to come and pick-up her child - don't ask her, TELL her. Please do not keep this child today, you and your family need to be feeling much better before you should be looking after anyone elses child. Part of me cannot believe someone would say they dont care if their child gets ill....strep is not a joke and can become serious! And who wants their child to get the flu!? Vomitting is also no fun. Shame on her...that's not at all good parenting.

Term. You need to. I certainly would term in a second and I have no backbone! I would never have even let her leave my house without her child.

ETA: Just saw your post that no one is answering. I would text, leave messages stating you will be calling the authorities if she is not (at least) in contact with you within 15 mins. I would call her at work also, is there a main number? Ask someone to get her and put her on the phone, tell them it's an emergency. She can't very well tell a co-worker she dosen't want to speak with her childs DCP!
Willow 07:55 AM 03-20-2013

That's not your problem.

I agree with the others who say leave her a message giving her 20 minutes to be back to pick up her child or you're calling cps.
NeedaVaca 07:55 AM 03-20-2013
Call her work and have her PAGED
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 03-20-2013
LOL....you could always call the police and tell them you can't get a hold of this mom, ask them if they will go to her work and give her a message.....

Could you imagine her face if the police showed up at her work...

I'm sorry but my mind is racing because I can NOT believe someone would actually leave their child somewhere he isn't suppose to be like she did!!!
Lyss 07:58 AM 03-20-2013
Holy cow!!! I'm so sorry this is happening!! Especially when you are so tried and now your son is ill!!!

This is so disrespectful I can't even put how annoyed I would be into words! You "have" to work?!? Wow!!

I seriously hope you term her! Nothing is worth having someone treat you like that!
MN Day Mom 07:58 AM 03-20-2013
I agree. TERM. Call her cell... text her cell... call her work... call every number you have for her and leave a messages in every way possible.. tell her she has 5 minutes to return your call to say she is on her way and she has 20 minutes to return to your house to pick up her child otherwise you will be calling the police and child protection.

You should have of followed her right back to her car with her child.

Wow. Just Wow.
Heidi 07:59 AM 03-20-2013
alll of the above.

I would be so mad that the minute she walked in the door, I'd hand her her child and all his SH**.

I am not one to get fired up easily, but I'd be fired up now! Heck, I'm fired up for you!
3amazingkiddos 08:01 AM 03-20-2013
Wow! Just Wow!
CedarCreek 08:02 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Then continue calling the emergency contacts on her list.

Call her work. Call the authorities....she has abandoned her child!

WTH?!?!
This!!!! All the way!!!!!!!

Lyss 08:05 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
That's not your problem.

I agree with the others who say leave her a message giving her 20 minutes to be back to pick up her child or you're calling cps.

LOL....you could always call the police and tell them you can't get a hold of this mom, ask them if they will go to her work and give her a message.....

Could you imagine her face if the police showed up at her work...

I'm sorry but my mind is racing because I can NOT believe someone would actually leave their child somewhere he isn't suppose to be like she did!!!

MyAngels 08:07 AM 03-20-2013
I'd call her boss & tell him or her that there is an emergency situation and this mother needs to pick up her child immediately. That way you are not violating any privacy laws. If she is not at your door in 30 minutes I'd call CPS, and then the police.
KDC 08:07 AM 03-20-2013
I'm a wimp... and the thought of lost income would sneak into my mind - but I would absolutely flip the freak out on this woman.

Like you have time with a DCK, and a DS throwing up to track this stupid woman down. I would leave a msg - page - text... time limit then cops are going to be called. This is NOT your problem. She's ignorant.

I would however find time to type a quick termination letter... buh bye. The amount of resentment I would feel for this woman would forever ruin the trust. The relationship would be shot from this point forward.
Play Care 08:09 AM 03-20-2013
Update?!
bunnyslippers 08:10 AM 03-20-2013
I am a wimp, too, and the loss of income would be a lot for me to take on - HOWEVER, this is too far. No way would I ever keep this child for even one more minute. This mother is clearly a disrespectful jerk. I really can't wrap my mind around this type of behavior.
momofboys 08:13 AM 03-20-2013
What a jerk!! I would tern for sure. hope u & your son feel better.
williams2008 08:15 AM 03-20-2013
WOW... The level of disrespect some parents have!! I would do like everyone else have stated. I know that you are HOTT literally because I am for you
MNMum 08:16 AM 03-20-2013
Who would do that to their child? TERM! Do all of the above that was suggested. And if he came in a carseat it must be a baby. Why do parents think we should care for their children if we are sick, then then stay home when they are sick and send their kids to daycare?
Oneluckymom 08:16 AM 03-20-2013
PLEASE UPDATE US ON WHAT HAPPENS !! Yes, call the police if she doesn't pick up her phone!
Willow 08:16 AM 03-20-2013
Purely out of curiosity - can I ask if ethnicity or a language barrier is at play here?

Perhaps this parent has no idea how truly offensive and off the wall what she did was???

Reason I ask is a local potato farmer apparently pays to transport inexpensive labor from "south of the boarder" during his fall harvest. I learned of this because this past fall I had a vehicle full of women show up at my doorstep (during naptime) and pretty much try to just shove their infants in my arms and take off. Only one spoke broken English, she told me the name of the man they were working for and that they needed care right now because they had to get to work. I had no openings for infants, much less that many (there were like a half dozen!) and there is no way they could have completed the necessary paperwork. I tried explaining this and they still tried barging in and setting their babies right in my entryway!!!!!! I tried being nice initially and telling them sorry, commenting about how adorable their babies were but it didn't work. No joke, I about had to manhandle them to get them to keep their babies in hand and get them out the door. The whole thing completely threw me for a loop because it definitely wasn't run of the mill social/cultural behavior for anywhere I've ever seen.
Patches 08:17 AM 03-20-2013
I agree with what everyone else is saying! I hope that she has either called you back by now or you are calling the police! Please keep us updated
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 03-20-2013
Purely out of curiosity - can I ask if ethnicity or a language barrier is at play here?

Perhaps this parent has no idea how truly offensive and off the wall what she did was???

Reason I ask is a local potato farmer apparently pays to transport inexpensive labor from "south of the boarder" during his fall harvest. I learned of this because this past fall I had a vehicle full of women show up at my doorstep (during naptime) and pretty much try to just shove their infants in my arms and take off. Only one spoke broken English, she told me the name of the man they were working for and that they needed care right now because they had to get to work. I had no openings for infants, much less that many (there were like a half dozen!) and there is no way they could have completed the necessary paperwork. I tried explaining this and they still tried barging in and setting their babies right in my entryway!!!!!! I tried being nice initially and telling them sorry, commenting about how adorable their babies were but it didn't work. No joke, I about had to manhandle them to get them to keep their babies in hand and get them out the door. The whole thing completely threw me for a loop because it definitely wasn't run of the mill social/cultural behavior for anywhere I've ever seen.
Haha! That is so true...

I had a woman call me once looking for child care and asked if I had space. I said I did and she said "Ok, I'm right outside. I'll be right in."

Turns out she was foreign and in her country they didn't even have child care so she had no idea how it worked. I did end up taking the family and they were GOLDEN....even though they started off on an odd foot.

But yes, after the intitial shock of OP's situation....I did wonder about cultural differenced as well.
daycarediva 08:20 AM 03-20-2013
I would call Mom and tell her that your next phone call will be to the police, if she doesn't call back IMMEDIATELY AND pickup within 20 minutes (or however long her drive time is)

I would call my licensar/registrar immediately and give her a heads up of the situation. I would tell her that the emergency contacts aren't answering and that you are going to call the police.

THEN I would call the police. I would absolutely have the child picked up and put a LARGE closed due to illness sign on your door with a letter of termination addressed to this DCM. All of dck's belongings would be on the porch and I would be D O N E with that family.
Brooksie 08:23 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would call Mom and tell her that your next phone call will be to the police, if she doesn't call back IMMEDIATELY AND pickup within 20 minutes (or however long her drive time is)

I would call my licensar/registrar immediately and give her a heads up of the situation. I would tell her that the emergency contacts aren't answering and that you are going to call the police.

THEN I would call the police. I would absolutely have the child picked up and put a LARGE closed due to illness sign on your door with a letter of termination addressed to this DCM. All of dck's belongings would be on the porch and I would be D O N E with that family.
This exactly. I cannot believe that! Insanity.
butterfly 08:27 AM 03-20-2013
Yep, I'd call CPS for child abandonment and then term! I would not put up with that garbage!!
MamaBearCanada 08:38 AM 03-20-2013
Wow - that someone would treat you with such disrespect and that they would put their own child at such risk for illness! TERM!

MarinaVanessa 08:40 AM 03-20-2013
Have you tried calling her work? If not I would call and first ask for the address then I would ask for the DCM. If she didn't answer or told me she wouldn't come to pick up her son I would begrudgingly but determinedly put on a quick outfit, bundle up my sick child, load up the DCK and all of his belongings up in my car and drive my sick @$$ to her work. Once I got there I would kindly ask them to go get her (be nice to them, it's not their fault) and hopefully my DS would puke a few times while he was there, heck I would even try to vomit a few times. When she came into eyes view I would plunk down the carseat with the baby in it and all of the child's belongings AND AN IMMEDIATE TERMINATION NOTICE TUCKED IN THE CARSEAT and simply walk away and go home. I would not care for a two week notice, I would not care about their payment for the last 2 weeks of care ... I would just want them out of my daycare.

This DCM is only thinking about HER needs HER child's needs and the needs of HER family. She is not taking into account that it doesn't matter if HER child gets sick or not ... what matters is that YOU don't feel well, YOU need rest and YOU need to take care of YOUR sick son. YOU need to think about YOUR needs, YOUR families needs and YOUR child's needs.

If she refused to come out to meet me (like if someone cam out and said that she was busy, unreachable or indisposed etc) I would calmly explain to them that you understand and that they should notify her that the child in the carseat was her child who I was unable to care for and that because I would not be taking the child back with me or caring for the child any longer that I would then be calling the police authorities and turning the child over to them. I bet they go back again and DCM comes out then .
Brooksie 08:42 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Have you tried calling her work? If not I would call and first ask for the address then I would ask for the DCM. If she didn't answer or told me she wouldn't come to pick up her son I would begrudgingly but determinedly put on a quick outfit, bundle up my sick child, load up the DCK and all of his belongings up in my car and drive my sick @$$ to her work. Once I got there I would kindly ask them to go get her (be nice to them, it's not their fault) and when she came into eyes view I would plunk down the carseat with the kid in it AND AN IMMEDIATE TERMINATION NOTICE TUCKED IN THE CARSEAT and simply walk away and go home.

This DCM is only thinking about HER needs HER child's needs and the needs of HER family. She is not taking into account that it doesn't matter if HER child gets sick or not ... what matters is that YOU don't feel well, YOU need rest and YOU need to take care of YOUR sick son. YOU need to think about YOUR needs, YOUR families needs and YOUR child's needs.

If she refused to come out to meet me (like if someone cam out and said that she was busy, unreachable or indisposed etc) I would calmly explain to them that you understand and that they should notify her that the child in the carseat was her child who I was unable to care for and that because I would not be taking the child back with me or caring for the child any longer that I would then be calling the police authorities and turning the child over to them. I bet they go back again and DCM comes out then .

Oneluckymom 08:44 AM 03-20-2013
Have you tried calling her work? If not I would call and first ask for the address then I would ask for the DCM. If she didn't answer or told me she wouldn't come to pick up her son I would begrudgingly but determinedly put on a quick outfit, bundle up my sick child, load up the DCK and all of his belongings up in my car and drive my sick @$$ to her work. Once I got there I would kindly ask them to go get her (be nice to them, it's not their fault) and when she came into eyes view I would plunk down the carseat with the kid in it AND AN IMMEDIATE TERMINATION NOTICE TUCKED IN THE CARSEAT and simply walk away and go home EXACTLY
mom2many 08:46 AM 03-20-2013
I cannot believe this! I agree with pps that you need to call her work and insist she come pick up. This is beyond horrible!

I once had a dcm that tried a stunt like this and it resulted in me terming them. It got a little ugly, because she felt "entitled" to do whatever she wanted and refused to follow my contract. I was not about to put my family second and be treated like this.

I hope you and your son feel better soon!
SilverSabre25 08:49 AM 03-20-2013
Oh wow, I am so sorry!!! What a rude little b****! seriously uncool. Please update us....
littlemissmuffet 08:51 AM 03-20-2013
What a cow. This is abandonment. Call CPS and the police. She abandoned her child.

Then term.
itlw8 08:52 AM 03-20-2013
You call everyone on her list and if they do not answer you leave the message that you will be calling CPS and report the child abandoned And call her work and leave the same message.

You say dcm left child even though she knew you were closed due to strep throat and vomiting. You say you have terminated care because of this and will be calling CPS in 10 minutes unless someone is here to pick up the child.THEN do it. Hot line her now.

Do you have dads # if they are not together Let him know CPS may be calling him for emergency placement.

You have a car seat? Do you have someone that can deliver him to her work?
snowball 09:06 AM 03-20-2013

Call her and tell her to come pick up her child or you're calling the proper authorities.

Don't get mad, just stop letting people treat you like crap. You're the only one who can do that. It will get better when you start requiring respect. Right now you are allowing this to happen and of course that's not going to feel good!
I agree with this.

And I would call CPS on her if she's not answering the phone. I don't play "touched it last".

I don't mean to be harsh, but you really need to grow a backbone. This is an unacceptable situation and you are not as powerless as you think. BUT you need to take that power.
youretooloud 09:20 AM 03-20-2013
I don't think this would be considered abandonment. So, I wouldn't even bother with that. You did open the door...you let them come in.

Anyway.. How is it going so far? I hope both you and your son get better fast. My kids always threw up every 8 minutes when they had strep. I guess it's because the throat is swollen and it triggers the gag reflex. You might need to take him in for a strep test.

TECHNICALLY you are off today. So, I would leave him in his carseat as much of the day as possible so he's not right in the middle of everything. Do only the very, very basic things. If he does get sick, I'm guessing mom will just medicate him without ever taking him in...and she will still want to bring him to you.

I would also be willing to bet that she doesn't really care if you term or not...she's probably already looking for someone else as we speak. So, if you term her before she can run out, you will feel better about it than you would if you waited for her to quit. She's also probably not the kind of person who would give you a two week's notice or a check for what she owes.

I GET that she HAS to work.. I really do. But, to force him on you is beyond abusive to you. She doesn't care about you or your health...she obviously isn't concerned about his health (because that will be on you too) and she doesn't know enough people who like her well enough to help her out.
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I don't think this would be considered abandonment. So, I wouldn't even bother with that. You did open the door...you let them come in.
I agree that the OP let them come in but when a mother refuses to answer calls/texts from the provider in regards to their child, I consider THAT action abandonment.
TheGoodLife 09:39 AM 03-20-2013
I agree that the OP let them come in but when a mother refuses to answer calls/texts from the provider in regards to their child, I consider THAT action abandonment.
I disagree. She told them that she would NOT take the child, yet the DCM left him/her. She may have opened the door when they knocked but she did not tell the DCM that she would watch the child. If you question it, let the police/CPS decide when you notify them and tell them the situation. But I do think that it would be abandonment to leave a child when you were told it was not open/available for the day. I hope it is all figured out and you and your child are now resting- but please keep us updated when you are feeling better!!!
momofboys 09:48 AM 03-20-2013
Any update? Curious as to what is happening/happened!
Luna 09:54 AM 03-20-2013
If you've called everyone on her emergency contacts list, I wouldn't even give her a "heads up". I would just call the police and explain what happened and let them tell me what they think I should do. I would explain that I answered the door and let her walk in because I'm so sick and tired that I can't even think straight!
There is no possible way that woman would darken my doorway again.
Please update as soon as you can, this is worrisome.
littlemissmuffet 10:04 AM 03-20-2013
To the folks trying to turn this around on the provider, asking why she opened her door... seriously, you're going to blame the provider for the mother's complete and utter lack of respect and responsibility? Wow.

This is MY HOUSE, I answer my door when someone knocks. I don't expect a parent who I just told I was closed for the day to abandon their child. The OP clearly stated that when she opened the door that the mom set the car seat on the floor and left. This "mother" was determined to leave her child there, what was the OP supposed to do

And yes, it IS abandonment when you leave your child somewhere without proper care. The OP isn't available to care for this child, so how is this situation NOT abandonment? You aren't open on weekends, if a parent just dropped off their child in your front entrance and left what would you call that????

Stop blaming providers for parent's neglegent and irresponsible actions.
MsLaura529 10:12 AM 03-20-2013

Wow!!!

OP - I am speechless at you situation. I know everyone is saying "why did you let her in?" or "you should have followed her back out" ... but if this were me in this situation, I think I would have been in such complete shock by what happened that it would have taken a couple minutes to process what had happened, so I would probably be in the same situation you are now. What a horribly, rude mother. I hope her baby never hears of this story that his mother said "I don't care if he gets sick" ... how sad.
Unregistered 10:13 AM 03-20-2013
Yep, would be very tempting to first pack up all their belongings and a termination letter, then drop the baby off at the CPS or Police Station. Actions have consequences. If I did not have permission to transport, then I would be making some calls, but knowing it would drag the process out longer. Oh wait, CPS is just a few blocks over - even drop dead exhausted I'd consider the walk in this case. I would be so shocked and angry. I really feel for you. She is pretty much demanding you to terminate care. If not having care today was inconvient for her, imagine not having care at all until finding a new provider. Mind boggling. What did she think would happen? I would put in the termination for her not to be on my property moving forward as well. I would not want her trying to push her way in again, especially with other children present. Good luck and I hope everyone is feeling better soon!
NeedaVaca 10:13 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
To the folks trying to turn this around on the provider, asking why she opened her door... seriously, you're going to blame the provider for the mother's complete and utter lack of respect and responsibility? Wow.

This is MY HOUSE, I answer my door when someone knocks. I don't expect a parent who I just told I was closed for the day to abandon their child. The OP clearly stated that when she opened the door that the mom set the car seat on the floor and left. This "mother" was determined to leave her child there, what was the OP supposed to do

And yes, it IS abandonment when you leave your child somewhere without proper care. The OP isn't available to care for this child, so how is this situation NOT abandonment? You aren't open on weekends, if a parent just dropped off their child in your front entrance and left what would you call that????

Plus, no way is she even able to think clearly going on 25+ hours of no sleep & sick, plus sick child. I know I would be a zombie...
lolaland 10:18 AM 03-20-2013
Wow!!

If I had your parent I would probably be stuck in this same situation like you right now. I too have trouble giving the right reaction/answer when I’m caught off guard, and after 5 years I still struggle with this. Knowing me the way I do, this would be all that I personally would have the courage to do:
1 – Write an immediate termination letter
2 – Keep calling all the phone numbers provided by this mother until I get someone to pick up the child and the termination letter and all her belongings
3 – Never again open the door to this family
4 – Forget about them and move on

I do agree with most previous posts in this thread but I would not have the “back bone” to react in any other way right now.

Tomorrow will be a better day, this will all be in the past and I hope you will be able to have a better recovering with your child.

Good luck
MarinaVanessa 10:20 AM 03-20-2013

I think that people are asking why she would even open the door because in order to hold a parent accountable for their actions than we must also be accountable for ours. There are many things that the provider could have done differently here and the purpose of people talking about why she "should" have done in this respect can serve her and other providers as a good lesson in what to do in this situation.

I'm good at what I do and although I'm not as seasoned as other providers here I do know what I should and should not be doing and use my backbone ... even though this is true I STILL came upon a similar situation not more than 2 weeks ago and opened the door earlier than I should have for a parent. Even I needed to be reminded of what I should have done, which was give this parent termination papers. I SHOULDN'T have opened the door, I SHOULDN'T have let the parent in and I SHOULDN'T have taken this child early. I know it helped me to have people point it out because it helped strengthen my resolve to do better next time if this situation cam up again.

Peeps could have not answered the door, could have told the DCM no, could have picked that carseat right up again and followed DCM to her car and plunked it down right next to her and walked right back in her house ... there was a TON of things that she could have done and I for one think it's important to point those things out (and I wasn't even one that "blamed" her) so that if she is faced in the same situation she can know what to do and feel better about doing it. I don't think anyone is "blaming" her in a mean way ... most even gave suggestions as to what she can do now that everything has already happened. I don't think anyone had any bad intentions.
Willow 10:22 AM 03-20-2013

Wow what?

I'm not blaming a provider for parents negligent and irresponsible actions. I'm asking why a provider took responsibility for another parents negligent and irresponsible actions.

If a parent shows up an hour before I open and bangs on my door before I'm out of bed I'm not getting up and I'm certainly not opening the door. If a parent brings their child without a coat and I accept that child into care I cannot be upset that then no one can go outside that day. If a parent decides not to pay me, and I let that go on and on and on and on, I cannot be upset that I cannot pay my bills.

If I get up and open the door - I can't be upset about that because my response was my own responsibility. I can be upset they showed up early, I can be upset they disrespected their contracted times, but I can't blame them for how I choose to respond to their actions.

If I accept a child not prepared for the day into care - I can't be upset that it then effects everyone else and ruins everyone elses day because I choose to take that child in regardless. I can be upset a parent didn't remember that their actions effect everyone, but everything beyond that is on me as the provider.

If I don't put my foot down about being paid promptly and in full - I can't be upset then that a parent continues to take full advantage of that. I can be upset a parent doesn't think me enough of a priority to pay me, but I cannot be upset at the parent for how I respond to that disrespect.

All of that is what it is.

Skirting around those situations telling a provider it stinks doesn't fix it. EMPOWERING THEM however, does. How do you stop it? How do you fix it? How do you prevent it from ever happening again? THIS is how.

Sometimes support comes in the form of sympathy and other times it comes in the form of solutions. I stink at sympathy, I'd rather tell a provider "You were a pushover just there! Don't do that again!" so they know it's ok to put their foot down and they don't have to deal with such angst again in the future.

We cannot control parents, we can only control how we respond to them and require our own lives to be. You cannot bank on strangers caring about you family or your life as much as you do which is why ONE HAS TO STAND UP FOR ONES SELF.
Candy 10:24 AM 03-20-2013
She didn't answer so just call CPS
Heidi 10:24 AM 03-20-2013

oh...that is so sad...
Jewels 10:29 AM 03-20-2013
WOW, I don't know what else to say, I look forward to hearing an update though, What NERVE!
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:31 AM 03-20-2013
Holy cow!
My3cents 10:35 AM 03-20-2013
So I have Strep Throat, that was diagnosed yesterday.

Last night my ds started throwing up at around 11 pm, every 10 min.

He is still throwing up as we speak.

I have been awake since 5:30am, Tuesday. I had a 6am arrival.

I have been awake for over 25 hours now and I am exhausted.

I called all my parents this morning and told them I was closing today. They all said ok, I will call back up, get well quick.

One called back and said I called 3 people no one can take him. I said well I guess you call in sick then. She said today is just a bad day to do this. I said well we are sick, I'm sorry.

She said ok I will call you back. 2 minutes later she shows up at my door. I open it and she plunks down the car seat and says no one will take him, I have to work, and I don't care if he gets sick and walks out.

WHILE MY SON IS UPSTAIRS SCREAMING FOR ME BECAUSE HE IS PUKING AGAIN.

I am so done with this career and rude, brainless parents. I'm so mad I could spit.
I see there is 60 post to read after I write this........ so not seeing what everyone else wrote here is my take on this---

I would have said NO, you will have to take your son with you, we are sick and I am CLOSED for today. Risk losing the client but if she is that rude I wouldn't want to work with her at all. You chase after her with her son and say NO! Parents can only be rude to you if you let them!!!

That being said..... sorry and I hope you feel better. Don't let bad apples make or break your career choice. There are tons of good parents that appreciate their providers out there. Tons of them.
Lyss 10:35 AM 03-20-2013
Update?!

I'm hoping that she's sleeping because DCM (hopefully ex-DCM) got her booty back and picked up her kid!
laundrymom 10:36 AM 03-20-2013
Hoping you dropped him at her work with a nice little speal about having two choices, her work, or CPS. and then you called your licensor and explained the complaint she was fixing to get.
youretooloud 10:37 AM 03-20-2013
We consider it abandonment, but in the eyes of the law, it isn't. The mom left her son with his caregiver like she does every day. Even if the mom didn't show up or call til midnight, the baby is in the care of his own caregiver. CPS won't even care, other than to listen to the complaint.
My3cents 10:38 AM 03-20-2013
Call her work!!! Speak to her boss and be ready to term.
momofsix 10:42 AM 03-20-2013
Absolutely unbelievable!!!
I'd call my licensor before I did any of the advice above just to be sure YOU won't get into any trouble.
On another thought-I was wondering if mom was a "high powered executive" type or what she does for a living that's sooooo much more important than her child and your family???? Is she that worried about being fired or does she think she's so important her company will fall apart without her?
I totally understand parents being in a bind. There are definitely some days that are much worse than others to have an emergency come up, but I just can't grasp a parent going this far Has society really put so much pressure on moms that work outside the home that they can actually legitimize an action like this? I pray not-and that this is just a one-in-a-million, but I'm afraid it may not be
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 03-20-2013
We consider it abandonment, but in the eyes of the law, it isn't. The mom left her son with his caregiver like she does every day. Even if the mom didn't show up or call til midnight, the baby is in the care of his own caregiver. CPS won't even care, other than to listen to the complaint.
Our law enforcement/CPS is different.

I had a DCM who didn't show up to pick up her child. I called every person on her emergency contact list and got no one.'

Called my licensor. She said call the police as not being available and not picking up is considered abandonment.

I called the police and they picked up the child. CPS placed her with our Crisis Nursery program until her parent could be reached.

My licensor said I could NOT keep a child beyond my "licensed hours".

Either way, I am not going to debate what technically defines "abandonment" and what doesn't. I just know what I would do if I were in OP's shoes.

Besides OP is from Canada and I am sure their CPS or CSA works differently than in the US....can't say for sure.
youretooloud 10:50 AM 03-20-2013
We had a case here a few months ago (well several actually)

The father came an hour after closing time. He was very drunk and driving a motorcycle. The provider refused to release the child to him. So, Dad went home and went to bed. The provider tried to call mom who said "I'm working, I can't come get him, you'll have to keep him", but the provider was leaving for the airport in a less than two hours, so she called CPS and police. Both of them said "It isn't abandonment, and we can't just take him because you are late for your plane" She probably wished she'd just let the Dad take him.

Another one was really weird, and I don't understand this one. But, a little girl died in the care of her daycare provider. But, the mom hadn't picked the child up in almost six months... so, this kid had been in daycare 24/7 for six months... they did not charge the mom because technically, she left the child with a caregiver. They charged the providers. (I should try to find out what ever happened with that case, I never followed it)
My3cents 11:05 AM 03-20-2013
Wow what?

I'm not blaming a provider for parents negligent and irresponsible actions. I'm asking why a provider took responsibility for another parents negligent and irresponsible actions. I don't think this provider did. I think she was sick and couldn't think fast enough because she was horrified that this parent dropped and ran- prob not dressed or coping well, thus the reason she called in sick. Usually I would see where your going with this but in this case the parent is solely at fault here. The provider was CLOSED. She made that clear. I would have opened up the door and talked with the parent too, probably figuring the parent was looking for something she wanted to bring to someone elses care or she came to pay me or maybe she felt bad and brought me a tea or get well flowers. This women barged in, dropped her kid and ran- stunning the provider. How she handles it now will say a lot- guess we all have to stay tuned. My point is trying to flip this around on the provider is not even in the equation.

If a parent shows up an hour before I open and bangs on my door before I'm out of bed I'm not getting up and I'm certainly not opening the door. If a parent brings their child without a coat and I accept that child into care I cannot be upset that then no one can go outside that day. If a parent decides not to pay me, and I let that go on and on and on and on, I cannot be upset that I cannot pay my bills.yes to all of these, but this is not the case here. It is not about opening the door.

If I get up and open the door - I can't be upset about that because my response was my own responsibility.you are wrong here, she has every right to be upset at this parent because she was Closed!!!I can be upset they showed up early, I can be upset they disrespected their contracted times, but I can't blame them for how I choose to respond to their actions. The only difference here is that she should have been following her right out the door with her child and said NO! I don't think this lady gave her a chance to do this, plus her own son was vomiting and calling for her.

If I accept a child not prepared for the day into care - I can't be upset that it then effects everyone else and ruins everyone elses day because I choose to take that child in regardless. I can be upset a parent didn't remember that their actions effect everyone, but everything beyond that is on me as the provider.

If I don't put my foot down about being paid promptly and in full - I can't be upset then that a parent continues to take full advantage of that. I can be upset a parent doesn't think me enough of a priority to pay me, but I cannot be upset at the parent for how I respond to that disrespect.

All of that is what it is.

Skirting around those situations telling a provider it stinks doesn't fix it. EMPOWERING THEM however, does. How do you stop it? How do you fix it? How do you prevent it from ever happening again? THIS is how.

Sometimes support comes in the form of sympathy and other times it comes in the form of solutions. I stink at sympathy, I'd rather tell a provider "You were a pushover just there! Don't do that again!" so they know it's ok to put their foot down and they don't have to deal with such angst again in the future.

We cannot control parents, we can only control how we respond to them and require our own lives to be. You cannot bank on strangers caring about you family or your life as much as you do which is why ONE HAS TO STAND UP FOR ONES SELF.
Your response is wrong to this provider, putting the blame on the provider for this Parent who lossed her mind and just dropped her kid not caring if her kid is to get sick or not is the one in the WRONG. I am irritated with your response here your out of line trying to blame this on the Provider-
butterfly 11:07 AM 03-20-2013
This is NOT the case here. I do foster care and my last long term placement was placed into care because the mom never returned to pick up her children from daycare. They remained in care, because it was evident that she lacked other parental skills, among other issues... CPS WOULD care in my area!!
Springdaze 11:07 AM 03-20-2013
theres got to be more to that one because that doesn't make any kind of sense!
Springdaze 11:09 AM 03-20-2013
referring to this

Another one was really weird, and I don't understand this one. But, a little girl died in the care of her daycare provider. But, the mom hadn't picked the child up in almost six months... so, this kid had been in daycare 24/7 for six months... they did not charge the mom because technically, she left the child with a caregiver. They charged the providers. (I should try to find out what ever happened with that case, I never followed it)
Springdaze 11:10 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:

referring to this
mema 11:27 AM 03-20-2013
Wow! Hope all turns out ok and she got her arse there to pick up.
Willow 11:34 AM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Your response is wrong to this provider, putting the blame on the provider for this Parent who lossed her mind and just dropped her kid not caring if her kid is to get sick or not is the one in the WRONG. I am irritated with your response here your out of line trying to blame this on the Provider-

I'm not blaming this on the provider. What I wrote that you quoted through wasn't written to the provider here, it was written to littlemissmuffet - hence why I quoted her before and then typed my response.

You yourself wrote:

I would have said NO, you will have to take your son with you, we are sick and I am CLOSED for today. Risk losing the client but if she is that rude I wouldn't want to work with her at all. You chase after her with her son and say NO! Parents can only be rude to you if you let them!!!
Who are you saying *let* this happen??

And how is that any different than any of what I've said??
Willow 11:36 AM 03-20-2013
On a side note I don't think I've ever seen so much outrage in a single thread yet before....the implied swearwords alone tell you just how serious we all feel this is
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:48 AM 03-20-2013
Ok, so I got a hold of the sister in law who actually has custody of the baby. (Long Story) She has to pick up and drop off baby at her SIL house everyday.

She said that she would be here as soon as possible. I explained to her what was going on, she was a little miffed because DCM didn't go into detail to her about what was going on at my house

Calling CPS will do nothing, the police say if you leave a child with a contracted babysitter, then that's between you and her.

I'm not licenced, so that doesn't help me either. I cannot afford to term her at this point, but I told SIL, that in no way, shape, or fashion will this ever be happening again. When im closing its for a good reason and next time she does this, DCM can find a new daycare. I also suggested to her to look at my Facebook group page that list's all the other daycares in town and find a back up daycare or the Daycare centre takes drop ins.

Anyway baby is gone home now. My son has finally stopped throwing up but still has an upset tummy.

So now I'm off to do mountains of laundry, clean the carpet in my sons room and so on!!

Thanks everyone for the support.
lolaland 11:49 AM 03-20-2013
I just can't stop wondering what kind of a day this mother is goint through also... Before today did she seemed to be irresponsible/selfish?? Or this is a very bad/desperate day?? Who knows??!
CedarCreek 11:52 AM 03-20-2013
I am glad someone came to get the baby and you and are having some peace now.

However, whether or not I could afford it, that is too serious not to term.

There are other families.
My3cents 11:53 AM 03-20-2013
I'm not blaming this on the provider. What I wrote that you quoted through wasn't written to the provider here, it was written to littlemissmuffet - hence why I quoted her before and then typed my response.

You yourself wrote:

Who are you saying *let* this happen??

And how is that any different than any of what I've said??
I apologize it didn't sound like you at all I got lost in the thread- I stand on what I said to whoever is blaming this on the Provider. I strongly feel for this provider who was walked all over this morning-
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:53 AM 03-20-2013
Call her work!!! Speak to her boss and be ready to term.
Her cell phone is listed as her work number. Its the only number she has.
TheGoodLife 11:53 AM 03-20-2013
Ok, so I got a hold of the sister in law who actually has custody of the baby. (Long Story) She has to pick up and drop off baby at her SIL house everyday.

She said that she would be here as soon as possible. I explained to her what was going on, she was a little miffed because DCM didn't go into detail to her about what was going on at my house

Calling CPS will do nothing, the police say if you leave a child with a contracted babysitter, then that's between you and her.

I'm not licenced, so that doesn't help me either. I cannot afford to term her at this point, but I told SIL, that in no way, shape, or fashion will this ever be happening again. When im closing its for a good reason and next time she does this, DCM can find a new daycare. I also suggested to her to look at my Facebook group page that list's all the other daycares in town and find a back up daycare or the Daycare centre takes drop ins.

Anyway baby is gone home now. My son has finally stopped throwing up but still has an upset tummy.

So now I'm off to do mountains of laundry, clean the carpet in my sons room and so on!!

Thanks everyone for the support.
Get some rest yourself, too!
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:58 AM 03-20-2013

Not at all.
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:03 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by snowball:
I agree with this.

And I would call CPS on her if she's not answering the phone. I don't play "touched it last".

I don't mean to be harsh, but you really need to grow a backbone. This is an unacceptable situation and you are not as powerless as you think. BUT you need to take that power.
As for me opening the door, yup I did because I had just sent my daughter out to catch the bus about 3 minutes before this. I always lock it and sometimes she comes back cause she forgets something. No I cant see who is here either, I have mactac on my side window beside the door for privacy.
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:08 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
I just can't stop wondering what kind of a day this mother is goint through also... Before today did she seemed to be irresponsible/selfish?? Or this is a very bad/desperate day?? Who knows??!
She is fairly new here. She just said it was such a bad day for this and she had no choice.
Kaddidle Care 12:12 PM 03-20-2013
she plunks down the car seat and says no one will take him, I have to work, and I don't care if he gets sick and walks out.
I'm sorry you had to go through this but I'm even more sorry for this child. And you wonder why she doesn't have custody of her own kid. Why was he even with her today?
Willow 12:15 PM 03-20-2013
She is fairly new here. She just said it was such a bad day for this and she had no choice.
Well, I think you've officially earned the title *Most Patient and Understanding Provider Ever*

Because it's obvious everyone else would have gone absolutely ape ****

Kudos to you for that. Hope your kiddo feels better soon and your cleaning goes quickly so you have at least some time to relax today
AfterSchoolMom 01:03 PM 03-20-2013
This is probably one of the most rude things I've ever read about on here. There's no way I'd let that woman back into my house, ever....money or no money.

At the very least, I think you should charge her late fees for all of the time that the child was there while you were trying to get in touch with someone.
Unregistered 01:08 PM 03-20-2013
I would have such a hard time opening my door to this mom each morning moving forward.
MyAngels 04:35 PM 03-20-2013
You probably should get a second work number for her so when this happens again you'll be able to reach her, assuming you don't plan to terminate care.
TheGoodLife 04:37 PM 03-20-2013
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
This is probably one of the most rude things I've ever read about on here. There's no way I'd let that woman back into my house, ever....money or no money.

At the very least, I think you should charge her late fees for all of the time that the child was there while you were trying to get in touch with someone.
Yes, her DD was there while you were closed, I'd say that is due the late fees for all the time! WOW, I still am fuming when I reread this!
Angelsj 05:42 PM 03-20-2013

I don't know, Willow. I have been doing this a LONG time, and I might have just been floored enough not to have taken the child back out to the car.

However, I would be calling CPS about this one.
kitykids3 06:36 PM 03-20-2013
I'm glad baby went home. When I read first post I was floored. Yeah, and if it was me, I don't care what kind of money, it would be immediate termination. That is so rude. Who's to say she won't pull some other stunt in the future?
I hope you got some rest.
sharlan 06:39 PM 03-20-2013
I'm glad the baby got picked up and hopefully your family feels better tomorrow.
snowball 07:14 PM 03-20-2013

Seriously, she will do this again. Maybe not this exact same situation but you will be disrespected again. You let her break your policies without any consequences. I highly doubt that she will start following the rules now.
My3cents 07:16 AM 03-21-2013
What does she do for work?

A google to her work place is what I would have done.

After having more information I am going to guess that the child has been taken away from the mother and she is doing some type of program to get her back, if she misses any time its a penalty towards her goal

what I can't get over is the fact that she said I don't care if he gets sick and just dumped him knowing you were sick and closed. I would term for this. There are other clients out there. I would not want to work with someone who just didn't care about anyone but themselves. Been here and done that---

What did she have to say for herself about this? I would want to know.

I don't know if you get the patience award or not- I have mixed feelings on this. It is one thing to help someone it is another to let others walk all over you for the sake of $. That being said I have been there and done that too and it is a learning curve that we all struggle with at times. I really strive to be strong in this area. Most of the time it puts us in our uncomfortable zone and then when it is over we notice it was not that bad at all in the first place and needed to be done.

I am not quick to term or tell someone to term. I am all for working things out, but this is crazy--- unless I am missing more information
My3cents 07:23 AM 03-21-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
Who cares!!!

It is a bad, desperate day for the provider who has a whole family that is sick, including herself.

What kind of a mother would do this to her child?

Anyway to provider and hope your feeling better and your family too-

Have to run an update on what this parent had to say for herself if you ended up taking her back. (I would not)
My3cents 09:43 AM 03-21-2013
I am coming back to this post because it floors me that this women did this to you. What was your response to her? I would have come unglued once it hit me what the lady did. I too probably would have been taken back for a few, prob enough time for her to make a get away-
1 2 
Reply Up