Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Air Conditioning
MsLaura529 08:22 AM 03-25-2013
We do not have central air in our house. We are hoping, hoping, hoping that we are able to afford getting it put in at some point this summer, but are not super positive about it (DH is losing his job, my DC just starting ... not sure how our incomce will be).

Do you feel this is something I should make parents aware of in an interview? I'm not sure if I should just be like, "oh and by the way, we don't have air conditioning". ? We do have a portable unit that I might be ableto set up in the main play area of the daycare for a couple hours every day during the summer. And box fans on the floor, window fans in the windows, etc.

THanks!
blandino 08:32 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
We do not have central air in our house. We are hoping, hoping, hoping that we are able to afford getting it put in at some point this summer, but are not super positive about it (DH is losing his job, my DC just starting ... not sure how our incomce will be).

Do you feel this is something I should make parents aware of in an interview? I'm not sure if I should just be like, "oh and by the way, we don't have air conditioning". ? We do have a portable unit that I might be ableto set up in the main play area of the daycare for a couple hours every day during the summer. And box fans on the floor, window fans in the windows, etc.

THanks!
I don't know about the licensing requirements where you are, or if you even need to be licensed. Our requirements state the temperature must remain between 65-80 degrees. So if there are requirements like that, then the AC might be a problem... But I also know that on MI maintaining the temp under 80 might not be that difficult (it would be impossible here). So as log as you are capable of maintaining a safe indoor temperature, and aren't violating licensing regulations, I don't think it needs to be said.

Have you looked into a portable AC unit ? They aren't as cheap as window units - but it would be an option if you needed to keep the room the children are in cool.
wdmmom 08:36 AM 03-25-2013
I don't think you need to inform prospective clients that you don't have A/C as long as you are able to keep your house at temperature comfortable enough for the kids. As long as you can do that, I don't see an issue with it.

I'm a tight wad when it comes to turning on the A/C. I've had parents bring it up before. Wow...it's kinda warm in here. "Cool...it's suppose to be in the 60's at night...it'll cool off!" I'm not one to crank on the A/C til I can't tolerate it anymore. My lower level is the main play room and it stays cooler down there anyway.
MsLaura529 09:16 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I don't know about the licensing requirements where you are, or if you even need to be licensed. Our requirements state the temperature must remain between 65-80 degrees. So if there are requirements like that, then the AC might be a problem... But I also know that on MI maintaining the temp under 80 might not be that difficult (it would be impossible here). So as log as you are capable of maintaining a safe indoor temperature, and aren't violating licensing regulations, I don't think it needs to be said.

Have you looked into a portable AC unit ? They aren't as cheap as window units - but it would be an option if you needed to keep the room the children are in cool.
Requirement here is that if the temp reaches 82 degrees, there needs to be a way to cool it off. And yes, we do have a portable unit (since our old house didn't have AC either, but it was MUCH smaller, so the unit would basically cool off our whole house, where as in this new house it will only work for somewhere as large as the daycare area).
MsLaura529 09:18 AM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I don't think you need to inform prospective clients that you don't have A/C as long as you are able to keep your house at temperature comfortable enough for the kids. As long as you can do that, I don't see an issue with it.

I'm a tight wad when it comes to turning on the A/C. I've had parents bring it up before. Wow...it's kinda warm in here. "Cool...it's suppose to be in the 60's at night...it'll cool off!" I'm not one to crank on the A/C til I can't tolerate it anymore. My lower level is the main play room and it stays cooler down there anyway.
Haha, we're used to no AC, so I totally get your "it'll cool off at night" view - my mantra for summer time, haha.

Everything daycare will be on our main floor, so I'm not worried about having to cool off the upstairs.

Thank you guys for your answers, btw. I'm just worried that some people will think of it as a major negative and don't want it to take away clients.
Play Care 09:28 AM 03-25-2013
In my state we are not required to have ac - we must have heat, but ac is not required. Since you do legally have to keep the house cool, you might mention that you have window units that you use in the summer. Always stick to touting what you DO have and offer, and don't advertise what you don't
Springdaze 09:34 AM 03-25-2013
I have never had anyone ask if we had ac or not. you should be fine
Reply Up