Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DHS positive supports rule minnesota
grateday 12:44 PM 08-25-2015
Has anyone seen this or have a trained understanding of what this rule is that is said to begin Aug. 31st.

I am trying to get an idea as to what this is?
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by grateday:
Has anyone seen this or have a trained understanding of what this rule is that is said to begin Aug. 31st.

I am trying to get an idea as to what this is?
The purpose of the rule is to:

It applies to any person receiving a 245D licensed service

For more info and some FAQ's see the link below.... HTH

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
grateday 02:18 PM 08-25-2015
I read this document and it follows that person receiving those services into family childcare homes. My interpretations is that we have to follow these intervention techniques all of the time and a person would be breaking this rule if they did not follow positive strategies all of the time.

The problem I have with this rule is inclusion related. As a provider I want to be able to provide an inclusion environment. But there are extreme personalities that do need a break from each other and that is why I want to know more about this.

I have this situation occuring were I have to ocassionally seperate two individuals or there would be an emotional injury , a complaint from a child, an injury to someone, or I would just wind up calling parents. Some children are relentless- picking on others, getting in there face, and they do it to the one who wants to be left alone the most. Its like an instinct that they know hat child does not want to be bothered and they go in. I can work with them for a long time acting things out, using words and positive strategies and this can go on for over an hour and they won't let up.

I use positive behavior guidance all of the time, but some children are very persistent and in order for a provider to accomplish what needs to be done during the day on there own (without other adult assistance) children do have to be seperated at times.

These children that I am referring to are school aged. One has an undiagnosed mental health issue, and the other is sensory seeking on the spectrum.
My own son who is preschool aged, is DD and he is fine in a group setting but can handle his emotions and impulses well enough that following these guidelines would work in his case.

I would have to have a paraprofessional here or a very very small amount (I already have a small group) of kids to follow this to the degree that they are asking.
Reply Up