Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child with C-Diff
Growing1atime 11:51 AM 10-25-2011
I have recently found out that one of my dcb has C-Diff.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

He has had it for 3 months and they just figured it out. So he has been here the entire time.

Do I
A) not accept child till doctor test says he tests negative.

B) Ask that dcb be brought in oneies under cloths, and supply daycare with disposable changing pads.

Thanks!
Cat Herder 11:54 AM 10-25-2011
I have not had that in childcare, yet. Only "my" Hospice and Nursing Home patients (volunteer).... "Contact Precautions" and "Private Room" were mandatory.

Hmm... It is not even on my CDC Childhood Communicable Diseases Recomendations Chart....or training.

I will be researching this, now.....

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/s...nce_c_diff.pdf general study info
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/c-difficile/DS00736 read risk factors
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24407803...rm-gets-worse/ made me sick to MY stomach...and that is difficult

Is this child an infant?
godiva83 12:03 PM 10-25-2011
I also have not had expierience with this in child care.
As far as I know it is extremely contagious and can be pretty dangerous... If I am thinking of the right thing (diarrhea cause by lack of enzymes in the guy flora)
I would really sanitize and a onsie/diaper shirt is a must to prevent leaking.
I would be hesitant to take him with out a doctors note.
Also, maybe suggest to Mum or Dad that probiotics could help get his intestines back in order- biogaia is excellent after your system has been wiped clean from antibiotics.
Can I ask how it went undiagnosed for so long
Growing1atime 12:30 PM 10-25-2011
I just spoke with the dcm. I was feeling like I needed to have an open conversation with her about it.

She is a nurse so she knows exactly the precautions that are taken with patients with c-diff.

Dcb has not presented with any of the normal symptoms of c-diff. They tested for it because he had blood in his stool and it was positive.

But no one in her family has contracted it and it is HIGHLY contagious. They don't use gloves or disinfect when changing him, because it is their son.

I guess in a nursing home or hospital they run three tests before concluding a patient has it because false positives are often.

I asked her to bring me disposable changing pads, and also to bring him in oneies everyday.

Still feeling worried, but better.
Cat Herder 12:38 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Growing1atime:
I just spoke with the dcm. I was feeling like I needed to have an open conversation with her about it.

She is a nurse so she knows exactly the precautions that are taken with patients with c-diff.

Dcb has not presented with any of the normal symptoms of c-diff. They tested for it because he had blood in his stool and it was positive.

But no one in her family has contracted it and it is HIGHLY contagious. They don't use gloves or disinfect when changing him, because it is their son.

I guess in a nursing home or hospital they run three tests before concluding a patient has it because false positives are often.

I asked her to bring me disposable changing pads, and also to bring him in oneies everyday.

Still feeling worried, but better.
I did just find that infants carry around a version of this for almost a year after birth, harmlessly. Fingers crossed this is the case.

My Nurse clients do tend to bring in the most illness to my daycare so I recommend really good decon and handwashing.

You know how the mechanics tend to have the worst running cars?

Healthcare professionals are trained to change into their work clothes at work and back into fresh clothing for pick up as well. Unfortunately, few actually do.
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:55 PM 10-25-2011
How could they not have a clue?????

My own son had C-DIFF in March. We found out cause after the 5th day of running a fever and the poops we took him to the hospital and stool tests comfirmed it.

I had to close my dayhome for a week, bleach EVERYTHING, and all of the DCK's got tested for it too. They all came back negative, Thank the lord.

3 months???? Poor child.
Growing1atime 01:28 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
How could they not have a clue?????

My own son had C-DIFF in March. We found out cause after the 5th day of running a fever and the poops we took him to the hospital and stool tests comfirmed it.

I had to close my dayhome for a week, bleach EVERYTHING, and all of the DCK's got tested for it too. They all came back negative, Thank the lord.

3 months???? Poor child.
This is why she doesn't think he really does have it. He doesn't have the fever and diarrhea. He has no symptoms. They found blood cells in one of his fecal tests and then tested for c-diff.

I am at a lost.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:42 PM 10-25-2011
This is why she doesn't think he really does have it. He doesn't have the fever and diarrhea. He has no symptoms. They found blood cells in one of his fecal tests and then tested for c-diff.

I am at a lost.
The hospital told me that I should close for the week, get all the dck's tested and my own son had to be on antibiotics, and clean everything.

We had to take him back and have another stool sample tested to make sure it was gone.

Yes i would demand a doctors note stating that he is free and clear before letting him back in dc.

My son also had rotavirus the year before. It was horrible.
I had to do the same thing.

Now I have a very large sign taped to my side window that basically say's if your kids is sick dont bring them.
e.j. 03:30 PM 10-25-2011
They tested for it because he had blood in his stool and it was positive.
The test was positive but the mother still believes he doesn't have it? First, I'd check with my own dr. to see how often false positives happen and ask for advice.

One of my dc kids got C-diff from her mother who works in a hospital. From what the mom told me, it is highly contagious and can have severe complications for some people. Several of her co-workers had it. She got it from them and then passed it on to all of her own family members. All of them were sick for a week with terrible diarrhea but her 2 year old dd was sick for much longer. She was absent from my day care for almost a month. When she came back, she had been on antibiotics and had not had diarrhea for a week. She seemed to be feeling much better so her parents (and I) thought she was all set.

She seemed fine all morning but that afternoon, as I was making lunch, she had a diarrhea blow-out. It was all over my rug, play mat, toys, changing table.... It was awful. I called her mom who brought her back to the dr. She was tested, found to be still positive for C-diff and put on a stronger antibiotic. She was out for another week. I requested a dr.'s note before she could return again.

Since the parent is doubtful about the original test results, I'd either ask the parents to re-test the child and/or request a dr.'s note indicating the results of the test and whether or not he is contagious.
Kaddidle Care 05:53 PM 10-25-2011
I may be wrong but I think my brother got this due to taking some really strong antibiotics prescribed by a Dentist. It took him a long time to get right again.

I'm wondering if the child got too much antibiotics due to the fact that Mom is a Nurse. Possibly over medicating?

I didn't realize it was something so contagious.

Perhaps what my brother had was something different?

I'm pretty sure this is what he had: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/...rous-diarrhea/
Sprouts 06:18 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I may be wrong but I think my brother got this due to taking some really strong antibiotics prescribed by a Dentist. It took him a long time to get right again.

I'm wondering if the child got too much antibiotics due to the fact that Mom is a Nurse. Possibly over medicating?

I didn't realize it was something so contagious.

Perhaps what my brother had was something different?

I'm pretty sure this is what he had: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/...rous-diarrhea/
I was reading also antibiotics can make it much worse, and my mother in law who is a nurse def. thinks antibiotics makes everything better

"Many of the symptoms of C. difficile are identical to the side effects of antibiotic drugs. And general physicians can be inexperienced with C. difficile diagnosis and treatment. Therefore, misdiagnosis and delays in getting proper treatment are common. An because most antibiotics can make C. difficile grow worse, you need to be very careful about the use of antibiotics if you have a C. diff. infection.

Also be aware that most doctors don’t know the first thing about natural medicine because they are never taught about it in medical school. In fact, most M.D. will discourage the use of natural medicine, even if they know nothing about it."
http://www.c-difficile-treatment.com...f/your-doctor/
Infection Preventionist 07:46 AM 06-10-2015
I'm a registered nurse who is also a trained Infection Preventionist in the state of North Carolina. I wish people would contact healthcare professionals instead of reading all the blown up hype that is on the internet. First, Clostridium difficile is a very serious infection that can lead to death. I'm not trying to negate the seriousness of this infection, but I want to educate to decrease fear in the community.

Many people can be carriers for C. diff as it is a normal gut bug. When certain conditions arise, as in the use of antibiotics, the normal gut bacteria is changed. This allows C. diff to grow and cause infection.

A person is only infectious when they are incontinent of stool. If they have diarrhea but are continent and able to go to the bathroom, then the likelihood of spreading C. diff spores in decreased. Cleaning the bathroom with a 10% bleach solution and proper hand hygiene will help prevent the spread of C. diff spores.

When a person has been treated and they no longer have diarrhea, then they are no longer considered infectious.

There are no recommendation to retest C. diff patients to obtain a negative result. Remember that many people are colonized, but not considered infectious. You can test a person for C. diff and it will be positive because they are colonized. But that does not mean that person is contagious.

If your babies do not have diarrhea and have completed treatment for C. diff, it is perfectly safe to let them back in your facilities.

I hope this helps!
Annalee 09:40 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by Infection Preventionist:
I'm a registered nurse who is also a trained Infection Preventionist in the state of North Carolina. I wish people would contact healthcare professionals instead of reading all the blown up hype that is on the internet. First, Clostridium difficile is a very serious infection that can lead to death. I'm not trying to negate the seriousness of this infection, but I want to educate to decrease fear in the community.

Many people can be carriers for C. diff as it is a normal gut bug. When certain conditions arise, as in the use of antibiotics, the normal gut bacteria is changed. This allows C. diff to grow and cause infection.

A person is only infectious when they are incontinent of stool. If they have diarrhea but are continent and able to go to the bathroom, then the likelihood of spreading C. diff spores in decreased. Cleaning the bathroom with a 10% bleach solution and proper hand hygiene will help prevent the spread of C. diff spores.

When a person has been treated and they no longer have diarrhea, then they are no longer considered infectious.

There are no recommendation to retest C. diff patients to obtain a negative result. Remember that many people are colonized, but not considered infectious. You can test a person for C. diff and it will be positive because they are colonized. But that does not mean that person is contagious.

If your babies do not have diarrhea and have completed treatment for C. diff, it is perfectly safe to let them back in your facilities.

I hope this helps!
I agree with this! I had an immediate family member diagnosed with C.Diff and the doctor told us exactly what is in your post. No one else in our family got C.Diff either. We were very careful and followed doctor's instructions. The doctor was awesome. He told us after the diagnosis if we would follow his instructions, we would get through this....and we did!
childcaremom 10:11 AM 06-10-2015
My son had this. He was in diapers at the time. We were cautious and no one else in the household got it.

Not sure I would want to risk exposing dcks to it, though. Jmho.
Annalee 10:14 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
My son had this. He was in diapers at the time. We were cautious and no one else in the household got it.

Not sure I would want to risk exposing dcks to it, though. Jmho.
I agree with not chancing anything with daycare....I just wanted to share my experience that C-diff can be kept intact and the spreading contained to the individual with C-diff.
childcaremom 10:17 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I agree with not chancing anything with daycare....I just wanted to share my experience that C-diff can be kept intact and the spreading contained to the individual with C-diff.
Agree.

This is actually on my mind as I have a dcb out with a sore stomach and diarrhea. He hasn't been here all week. Dad keeps saying how stinky his movements are. The first thing that popped in my head was C diff.
grateday 05:55 PM 06-17-2015
I would not worry about it just wear gloves, bleach all areas with bleach solution that is fresh daily. Bleach solution breaks down over time and c-diff is killed better with a strong fresh solution. Also, encourage the use of quality pre and probiotics for the child, digestive enzymes so they can build there gut flora back up. It is contagious but more so in unhealthy individuals, individuals with weakened immune states, or issues in the gut. You see it in those on antibiotics too.

I cared for individuals with this in my past work life and never got it. If the child is potty training and having accidents all over your house that is another story I would be more concerned about.
Tags:c-diff, clostridium difficile
Reply Up