Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sign In Front Of Daycare?
CraftyMom 05:35 PM 03-13-2014
How many of you have a sign in front of your home for your daycare? I would like to put one up but was told by my insurance company that my premiums would go up if I did. (This was just the lady who came by to take pics for the ins co so she didn't have specifics)

Just wondering if anyone knows if it would be a huge increase?
hope 05:48 PM 03-13-2014
I don't for safety reasons. I would be afraid that it would be a welcome sign for the creeps! I also live on a side street. The only reason you would drive on my street is if you lived on my street. I know most of the people on my block so it wouldn't provide any extra advertising.
kitykids3 05:58 PM 03-13-2014
I have one hanging off my balcony with just the number and name. I have only because there is a school across the street, but now that i've been getting random calls more often, i'm thinking of taking it down.

Why would your insurance premiums go up?
KidGrind 06:01 PM 03-13-2014
I have one.
CraftyMom 06:24 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
I have one hanging off my balcony with just the number and name. I have only because there is a school across the street, but now that i've been getting random calls more often, i'm thinking of taking it down.

Why would your insurance premiums go up?
I have no idea lol

I'm going to call and find our how much it would go up. I think it's my state

Sometimes I think it would be helpful, especially when numbers are low. We are on a side street but it's a cut through to the main road
Childminder 06:25 PM 03-13-2014
I have one. Check with your local ordinances, you might not be allowed to put one up or only for a couple weeks at a time.
missy 07:37 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
How many of you have a sign in front of your home for your daycare? I would like to put one up but was told by my insurance company that my premiums would go up if I did. (This was just the lady who came by to take pics for the ins co so she didn't have specifics)

Just wondering if anyone knows if it would be a huge increase?
My insurance lady saw my magnetic car signs advertising my business and gave me some crap about it too. She said she had to change my personal car to a "commercial" insured because of it. I was about to give her a piece of my mind (because she makes a ton of $$ off of me with home/auto/business insurance!), then she found out my policy amount wouldn't go up any because I am a preferred customer. It is all because of liability I guess.
Laurel 08:12 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I don't for safety reasons. I would be afraid that it would be a welcome sign for the creeps! I also live on a side street. The only reason you would drive on my street is if you lived on my street. I know most of the people on my block so it wouldn't provide any extra advertising.

Even if not for the potential creeps, our city doesn't allow it in a residential area.

Laurel
drseuss 08:14 PM 03-13-2014
I don't have a sign. The ordinances here might not allow it, but even if it did I would not have a sign. IDK, I think I'd just worry about creeps.
Mom of 4 08:48 PM 03-13-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I have no idea lol

I'm going to call and find our how much it would go up. I think it's my state

Sometimes I think it would be helpful, especially when numbers are low. We are on a side street but it's a cut through to the main road
A sign makes it more of a "business", and insurance companies would rather you not run a "business" out of your home. Stupid, since most dcp's have separate insurance specifically for that liability that comes with running a daycare from your house.

Some insurers won't even WRITE the policy for you if you run a child care. I have to ask EVERY day if someone runs a child care out of their house, and if they do, I have to decline the policy. Especially in CA. Most of the bigger companies will consider it, or they'll tell you to find specific insurance for that purpose. It's a REAL PAIN.
CraftyMom 07:35 AM 03-14-2014
Yes, our original insurance co dropped us when I opened the daycare. My new ins co insures daycare, but if there's a sign it costs more. The business liability makes sense, but it's still a business without a sign.

I didn't think too much about creepy people knowing there is a daycare here, something to consider
Annalee 10:13 AM 03-14-2014
Originally Posted by Mom of 4:
A sign makes it more of a "business", and insurance companies would rather you not run a "business" out of your home. Stupid, since most dcp's have separate insurance specifically for that liability that comes with running a daycare from your house.

Some insurers won't even WRITE the policy for you if you run a child care. I have to ask EVERY day if someone runs a child care out of their house, and if they do, I have to decline the policy. Especially in CA. Most of the bigger companies will consider it, or they'll tell you to find specific insurance for that purpose. It's a REAL PAIN.
I have to sign an exclusion form for my homeowners insurance and prove to them I have insurance specifically for the daycare. It is a pain.......but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
Tags:advertising, signs
Reply Up