Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much of Your Home Is Used for Daycare?
much_lovee 11:56 AM 10-10-2018
Currently I have a large, downstairs bed room that has been turned into a play room. It works great because there is a large bathroom right across the hall from it, and the kitchen is close by. In the kitchen we eat and do different activities at the table. I also have a living room next to the dining room. The dining room is used for the drop of area. Unless there is 2 or less children here we do not play in the living room. I almost always have 5-6 per day. All of our toys are in the play room, and children have much more free rein in there than compared to the rest of the house.

I recently had someone start that has never been in a licensed daycare before. The child complains of being in the play room and wants to be anywhere else even though everything is in the play room to play with. The parent also has no interest in talking to me much, not even to hear about their child’s day. I know for a fact the child isn’t adjusting well, and I honestly believe it’s because I’m using one room to play in unless we’re outside or doing activities.

Is it normal to use one room aside from meals, activities, and outdoor time? Or do I need to open my daycare up to the rest of my house? I just can’t imagine supervising that many children running around in a house that is not an open concept.

I have a degree in ECE, and have worked in centers along with doing student teaching, but am still figuring out home daycare.
Tags:home child care
Up