Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom: Ok To Store Scanned Receipts/Paperwork?
legomom922 05:40 AM 01-11-2011
I recently got a scanner and thought it would be a great way to store all my reciepts and all my paperwork without taking up space and having to deal with so much paper. So is it acceptable to scan and store everything onto my computer instead of hanging on to all this paper? I want to throw all the paper out, and I want to do this with all documents, not only DC related. Any problems with doing this?
Jewels 05:46 AM 01-11-2011
I thought about this to, I would think you would have to back it up on a disk or something also, because what happens if your computer crashes?
legomom922 06:15 AM 01-11-2011
yes, I was thinking of putting on disc, or maybe using one of those web based programs where you can store stuff too, or both. I just want to rid myself of paper in my house! I'm OCD about clutter anyway, so it drives me batty!
TomCopeland 10:14 AM 01-11-2011
Scanning receipts into your computer is a good idea to create a permanent record. I wouldn't throw away your paper records, however. I'm nervous that the IRS might challenge computer records as not being adequate. Until I have more experience with this in audits, I wouldn't recommend throwing them away.
jojosmommy 11:02 AM 01-11-2011
What should you do with reciepts that the ink is fading or hard to read? Should you always write the total amount on the top or what responsibility do we have to make sure the reciepts are readable for eternity? And what about when you buy supplies, toys etc and the description doesnt give you any clue as to what it is? I have just organized all my 2010 reciepts and have found some that include items rung up that I can't tell what they are even for. I always separate business and personal right away (and purchase with a business only cc) so I know the item(s) are business but how could I prove that later?

BTW your training last night was GREAT!
TomCopeland 05:39 PM 01-12-2011
If you scan your receipts then you will be able to read them later if the receipts fade. If you don't scan them, make a copy. I wrote a blog post about this on my blog "The Case of the Fading Receipt"
billiedaycare 08:45 AM 01-13-2011
Tom what do you think of the Neat scanner is it worth the money? Thank you for your taking the time to post all your advice!
TomCopeland 10:05 AM 01-13-2011
I've seen the neatreceipt scanner but don't own one. I don't know how it compares with other scanners.

Any scanner would be tax deductible!
Abigail 07:04 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
If you scan your receipts then you will be able to read them later if the receipts fade. If you don't scan them, make a copy. I wrote a blog post about this on my blog "The Case of the Fading Receipt"
Can someone find this blog for me? I tried, but couldn't figure out how to find it.
TomCopeland 01:48 PM 01-14-2011
I just fixed my blog so I can link people to specific blog posts. Here's the one on fading receipts: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2010/...g-receipt.html
Sharon.Riley 01:27 PM 01-16-2011
Tom,

I have it on good authority that the cheapest hair spray available in the grocery store will act like artists' fixative to prevent receipts from fading.

Sharon Riley
Abigail 10:43 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Sharon.Riley:
Tom,

I have it on good authority that the cheapest hair spray available in the grocery store will act like artists' fixative to prevent receipts from fading.

Sharon Riley
OK, Now I'm seriously going to go to Walmart today and find the cheapest hairspray and try it on random receipts that I would otherwise toss out just to see if it works. I'll then file it away. Where did you hear this?
Abigail 10:41 PM 01-19-2011
OK, SO I did buy a trial size of hairspray (since we don't use it really) and sprayed it on a couple of receipts lightly. It only made it smear and actually made some of the ink "splatter" so the edges of the receipt turned black some. Well, I can say I tried it. Not really impressed as it's more difficult to see now.
Tags:receipts
Reply Up