Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Telling DCPs I'm Pregnant
Blissful Kids 11:25 AM 01-03-2013
Hello all and Happy New Year!

Just in need of some advice. How should I go about telling daycare parents I'm expecting? I can't hide it much longer, as I have my first doctor's apt. next Friday and am starting to pop. (Third kid, it happens early. =)

I guess I'm just kind of insecure about it. We visited my parents over the holidays, and my mom (who has never been very supportive of my home daycare) says, "Well maybe the parents will just leave and take their kids somewhere else when they find out you're pregnant." Seriously? I guess I'm also worried about having to take off for appointments, but I'm sure it will all work out. I talked with my friend who does daycare and just had a baby. She sent a letter home. Maybe I could try that?

My plan is to term one after the baby's born, but that's not until July. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Anyways, any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!
cheerfuldom 02:01 PM 01-03-2013
I would let them know via letter which also outlines your tentative plans for maternity leave. this way they can get an idea of what to expect and also see that you have a plan in place and will strive to continue offering first class services and that your pregnancies will not be a disruption to those services.
MarinaVanessa 02:14 PM 01-03-2013
HEY!!! You and I are about the same in our pregnancy's I think. I'm guessing that I'm having an end of July baby but who knows since I haven't had a sonogram yet. And it's my 3rd one also .

I personally don't announce it to my clients. I figure that they'll figure it out anyway so I'll just wait until they ask about it. My first appointment is next week and I was lucky to find a Dr. that I liked that did clinic hours in a clinic that has late appointments. Maybe there's something like that available for you?

Try looking online or calling around. Even if it is a drive out of your way a bit it might be worth it to you so you don't have to close. Mine has appointments as late as 7:30pm twice a week (my Dr is only available one of those days) but it's nice to only have to worry about appointments when they're glucose tests or sonograms (they don't do either at my clinic).

If that's not available to your can your DH or someone else take a partial day off to cover for you while you go to some appointments? Maybe you can schedule your appointments to be the last one for the day and on days that you have the least attendance so your DH doesn't go crazy and doesn't have to watch them for more than a few hours.

CONGRATS BTW!!!!!!
Scout 03:14 PM 01-03-2013
congrats to both of you!! I am having baby fever right now myself...
Unregistered 03:37 PM 01-03-2013
If you do a monthly/bi-monthy newsletter or regular email updates maybe send a newsletter or e-mail to all parents. Most (not all but most) parents understand that you are a person and woman first and that most child care providers are parents and have families of their own.

For appointments if your have assistants or subs consider having them fill in for you on your appointment days and for a week to a month of post partum (if needed) if you are a SFCCP and do not have an assistant or sub see about having a friend who is fingerprinted/TB tested (depends on your area requirements) or advertising for a part-time assistant/sub (like at colleges, laudry mats, craigslist, care/sitter-city sites, or places where local SAHMs hang out).

If it is due to the infant maximum quota I would suggest for the older groups putting in the letter that their services/scheduals and placement is not a jeapordy due to the pregnancy (just make sure it goes to the right families) and just not mention it in your 2 and under group though I would suggest seeing about trying to term the youngest because if others are going to age out of the infrant age group before July they will not effect your 'adult:infant' ratio and that way the infant spot will be free for your child until they are 2 y/o and no longer considered taking an "infant spot" by liscensing. Or just an infant/family that gives you the most .

If it is just due to the numbers total not just infant spots- weigh the pros and cons (behavior of children, frequent late payments/drop-offs/pick-ups, breaking rules etc.) of each family and which family gives you the most stress or most issues. And when you are close to your due date and no one has left yet send a 2 week to a month notice to the family you have chosen to terminate and just tell them that due to the pregnancy you need to down size. If you choose to term a family that wasn't too troublesome with just a few minor problems you can also offer to give them a good reference for another provider and if you know any other providers that have an open spot suggest they check it out or put in a good word for them.
Unregistered 06:45 PM 01-03-2013
[quote=Unregistered;304341] Or just term an infant/family that gives you the most .[quote]

sorry same unregistered poster as above meant to put "Or just term an infant/family that gives you the most issues/grief." That first one sounds messed up lol.
Blissful Kids 07:13 AM 01-07-2013
Update:

I told one dcm on Friday and she was super excited and flexible about the whole thing. I knew she would be, she's awesome.

We posted on Facebook an announcement this weekend. (I'm friends with the other two daycare parents on Facebook, so this is how they found out.)

This morning, the mother of the PT infant I have (who gives me the most trouble) was really nice. Told me congratulations, asked how I felt, etc. Then, she asked if I'd re open and if they need to start looking somewhere else. She said, "Well, you won't want that many kids, will you?" I told her I hadn't decided yet what I was going to do, but that I was going to re open. At least I know now that she is laid back about it and if I decide to term him (which I most likely will) that it will be on good terms. Kind of a relief! =)

So overall, things went well. I'll find out the other mom's reaction this afternoon when she drops her son off. I think she'll be cool with everything too. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Reply Up