Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand/Foot Disease
blessed mom 09:52 AM 02-07-2013
Can kids get it more then once?
proudmommyofthree 09:58 AM 02-07-2013
Originally Posted by blessed mom:
Can kids get it more then once?
Yes kids can get it more than once. From my experience I have had daycare kids get it a few times
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 02-07-2013
Technical fact sheet:

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...AND%20FOOT.pdf

Parent sheet:

http://www.hennepin.us/files/Hennepi...t%20parent.pdf
blessed mom 11:21 AM 02-07-2013
Originally Posted by proudmommyofthree:
Yes kids can get it more than once. From my experience I have had daycare kids get it a few times
One of my kids had it (not in a traditional place, under the arm) and now the same child has a sore near the mouth. Looks like a blister might have been there. Mom said the doctor told her that her child can only get it one time...similar to chicken pox. I just need to make sure that my other kids are not exposed to anything but I'm not sure what it is. Child also has eczema and dry skin. The child does have a runny nose but so does everyone right now! Colds are going around. Spraying air and surfaces like crazy.
MsLaura529 11:26 AM 02-07-2013
My daughter has ended up with this two different times. Her pediatrician said that it is commonly thought to be like chicken pox, where once you have it, you can never get it again, but that's not the case, because there are a bunch of different strains of the virus.
blessed mom 11:35 AM 02-07-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
My daughter has ended up with this two different times. Her pediatrician said that it is commonly thought to be like chicken pox, where once you have it, you can never get it again, but that's not the case, because there are a bunch of different strains of the virus.
Hmm...ok so in this case how do you handle the child. I can't say she can't come to school if I am not a doctor and her doctor said the child can't get it again! Ugh.
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 02-07-2013
Originally Posted by blessed mom:
Hmm...ok so in this case how do you handle the child. I can't say she can't come to school if I am not a doctor and her doctor said the child can't get it again! Ugh.
The info sheets I posted above say that you only need to exclude if there is a fever. If there is no fever, the child can attend.

The sheets also say people shed the virus for a long time before they get sick and a long time afterwards so....

No fever....I would let her attend.
blessed mom 11:31 AM 02-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The info sheets I posted above say that you only need to exclude if there is a fever. If there is no fever, the child can attend.

The sheets also say people shed the virus for a long time before they get sick and a long time afterwards so....

No fever....I would let her attend.
I misread it then, I was thinking that she was contagious for a while if the sore was open, or if she had a runny nose! Thanks...we are back to business as usual.
Reply Up