Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"That's Because You Have Nothing Better To Do"
momma4many 11:19 AM 05-20-2011
Yep, that's what she said....hehe.
But seriously, I was chatting w/ a friend last night. She had called to ask if I had finished working on a project she had asked me to do "when you have time". Well, this week I had a new dck start and my own kids had things going on every single night. So, no, didn't get it done yet.
She proceeds to ask how the new dck is adjusting and I said pretty well, it takes time, etc. She said it seemed like every time she called, dck was crying and I couldn't talk to her. I nicely explained that she is new here, and for her first week, she has been here 55 hours...she has never had a consistent care giver, etc. To summarized to the good part....she said "You care too much about these kids b/c you sit home all day with nothing better to do. Why do you care so much when even their parents don't?"

I sat there and said nothing....about five beats of uncomfortable silence and she started talking about herself again..lol.

Is this how people view us??? WTH!!
lil angels 11:26 AM 05-20-2011
I have heard something to that affect before too. Isn't it great we don't ever do anything I think a few people think we are just lazy and sit onthe couch and eat bon bons all day

I say whatever I don't care what people say or think of me. And I would give that person $100 to come into my life for a week and see how we sit all day and don't do anything.
laundrymom 11:27 AM 05-20-2011
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor, put down my ipod and sign onto the computer because I am in awe of her remarks. I could not imagine being talked to as if I shouldnt care for the kids I keep or that their parents dont.

ummmm,... First of all I think Id start with, Im sorry Im AT WORK. I CANT TALK TO YOU NOW You will have to WAIT.

Then after I calmed down I would return her call with a little education on how improper her remark was. First of all,.. yeah, babies cry its their job and how they tell us what they need. Second,.. if you hear them crying,.. stop calling!!!! Im Busy, Im at WORK. Not out having a picnic.

Ill get to your project at the first available moment and Im sorry if its not fast enough for you. Im doing the best I can.

Then let her digest that for a few minutes and see how she responds.... hopefully it will be an apology and a promise not to bug you at work anymore.

UGHHHHH are you sure this wasnt my MIL calling for me and getting a wrong number??? lol 23 year of daycare and she still asks,... are you babysitting today,... I finally told her, no I quit, we are going on welfare and moving in with you!
Stacy214 11:58 AM 05-20-2011
Haha yea, my husband will make these references just because he knows it infuriates me ! like "honey, why didn't you make dinner whatcha been doing all day but playing with babies" ....jerk
Stacy214 12:24 PM 05-20-2011
Here's a funny posted on FB by a friend .....

SO funny, but oh so true! All husbands/SO's of stay at home moms should read this.

A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard.

The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding into the entry, he found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall.

In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a Cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing.

In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened.

He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went.

He looked at her bewildered and asked, 'What happened here today?'

She again smiled and answered, 'You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world do I do all day?'

'Yes,' was his incredulous reply.

She answered, 'Well, today I didn't do it.' :-)
Christian Mother 01:05 PM 05-20-2011
Ohhh my GOSH!!! I love it!! That is the best Fri. funny!! That totally made my day!! (Giggle) ....I really want one of those days!! But, I get stressed if the house isn't cleaned or things are picked up. So back to daydreaming!!
kidkair 04:13 PM 05-20-2011
I guess I'm lucky enough to have friends who admire me for my ability to "tolerate" kids on a regular basis. I have a few friends who constantly tell me they would never be able to do my job and they all understand when I can't answer the phone or have to hang up on them because the kids need my attention. My favorite reaction to my profession is how relaxed and comfortable strangers get around me. When I meet someone new at a party and mention I take care of kids, suddenly they are relaxed and telling me all sorts of stuff they wouldn't have two minutes previously! It's like they actually get that there is a lot of trust involved in taking care of children and since I've done it for years I must be very trustworthy.
Tags:clueless parents
Reply Up