Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Aware ????
Logged out for privacy 06:34 PM 09-03-2012
Anyone have this in their state? I am in MN and it is being pushed hard here.

Anyone know much about it?

I read through some of the info and my feelings are mixed. I agree with the idea that we need to make daycare a better environment for the kids but I am not sure the standards they have set are really meaningful or apply.

Am I missing something huge here? I feel a little guilty I wasn't overly excited about this becoming a mandate. I also see that this year if you want to apply for a grant you have to be on some registry. ?!?!? Anyone know about this and where our info goes once we are on the "registry". I am anti big govt and think the more they mandate us to do this and this and be on this list and enter this and this the less I want to even do this anymore. What if I don't want everyone on earth to have my name, address, phone number, email, and every training I have attended the last year?
Willow 07:50 PM 09-03-2012
I'm in MN and I've never heard of it.

That said based on what you've said about it I doubt I'd care for it either.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 09-04-2012
I am in MN and am excited about the whole Parent Aware system! I think it is a great idea and can't wait to do it. In my county it is only a pilot program right now and providers can start the process if they choose but aren't required to as of yet.

The whole system is based off of Wisconsin's Youngstar Program.

The MN Provider Registry (http://mncpd.org/registry.html) is simply a way for you to track your career progress and record/report the trainings and education you have taken.

I think ALL states will have implemented a star rating system over the next few years as child care is moving away from simple care and supervision to more early education and improved standards of care/education.

Here is a link to the Parent Aware program if you haven't heard anything about it yet http://www.parentawareratings.org/
Willow 08:53 AM 09-04-2012
OK, see now I thought it was going to be another deal similar to the push to unionize, or more state mandated blah blah blah....

I'd have to take a closer look at whether I thought the standards were even relevant to me or not but my main concern would be if there was required participation by all licensed providers.

I am more than happy to share my trainings and experience level honestly with my parents and county licensing worker, and I'm quite proud of where I'm at, but I don't think that's something the government needs to stick their nose in and judge on a wide scale. Especially if there are providers who don't care to participate.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
OK, see now I thought it was going to be another deal similar to the push to unionize, or more state mandated blah blah blah....

I'd have to take a closer look at whether I thought the standards were even relevant to me or not but my main concern would be if there was required participation by all licensed providers.

I am more than happy to share my trainings and experience level honestly with my parents and county licensing worker, and I'm quite proud of where I'm at, but I don't think that's something the government needs to stick their nose in and judge on a wide scale. Especially if there are providers who don't care to participate.
Participation is only optional for now. It WILL be mandatory soon.

I think the people who are trying to unionize child care are using Parent Aware as a tool to get providers to sign up to be unionized. Basically, union reps are telling providers a bunch of negative stuff about the Parent Aware and how it is not ideal, especially for providers who don't have a CDA or a degree and that if they are against it, then they should sign on to be unionized as they are "promising" that they will speak up against the star rating system and be a voice for providers.

Basically the Parent Aware system will give stars to providers based ont heir education, exerience and how they run their programs and then parents will be able to search for the kind of care they want...kwim?

I think giving stars for education and stuff is a bit mis-leading though as it gives the impression that providers withonly one star arent as good as providers with more stars...but I don't think tha tis the case...I think it is just a way to let parents know that this provider does curriculum and assessments etc and this one doesnt. I don't think it actually tells parents that 4 stars is better than 1 but I guess that is all in how parents read and see the program too.

I don't know for sure but from what I have read, I do think it is a good program and have competed my registry and filled out most the forms for enrollment. Now it is just a waiting game to see if I have all my ducks in a row and once my program is assessed, I will receive my star(s).
jojosmommy 11:17 AM 09-04-2012
Do they come out and assess your program?

My gut tells me that parents who are ill informed are just going to look for those who are 4 star rated no matter what they actually do with their program.

I looked at the rating scales and it doesn't seem hard to get a good rating. I have my bachelors so my education level is already really high on the list. Is there more to it? Seems like there should be.

I guess I am not comfortable with all my training info being public or on some data base. I feel like that is something the parents who are interested can learn about me but not something a bunch of lobbyists or other govt folks need to know so they can puch this agenda or that. And lets be real, the more they know the more they can control.

Did anyone on here apply for a grant? I have my paper work finished I just have the mn provider registry thing to complete. I don't know anything about it but since it is a REQUIREMENT of the grant ( surprise big govt) then I have to do it. I want it done before I submit so that it looks like I am really ready.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Do they come out and assess your program?
Not yet...they haven't gotten that far yet with us. Right now they are just ensuring that the providers who want to participate have the info and that we do our registry and all.

My gut tells me that parents who are ill informed are just going to look for those who are 4 star rated no matter what they actually do with their program.
I do agree with you here.

I think parents are going to see 1 or 2 stars and automatically assume that the provider is not a good one and vice versa but I also think that part cannot be helped and the research and education of what a provider really is and how their program is run again falls on the shoulders of the parent.

I don't think there is much we can do as providers about that part of it.

I looked at the rating scales and it doesn't seem hard to get a good rating. I have my bachelors so my education level is already really high on the list. Is there more to it? Seems like there should be.
I think that you will automatically be at 4 stars and the only other requirement would be to have a plan in place for assessment and implementation of curriculum.

I do think it is as easy as that but only for providers who have a CDA, degree or equivilent training. I think it will be a hard road or atleast a bit tough for those providers who have little or no training or only have the basic licensing requirements.

I guess I am not comfortable with all my training info being public or on some data base. I feel like that is something the parents who are interested can learn about me but not something a bunch of lobbyists or other govt folks need to know so they can puch this agenda or that. And lets be real, the more they know the more they can control.
I am not 100% positive but I think the info about your trainings is only for the assessors and that specific info is not posted for parents to see. The registry takes the trianings you have and uses that to figure out what level you are on for the career ladder and that tells them how many stars you should get.

Did anyone on here apply for a grant? I have my paper work finished I just have the mn provider registry thing to complete. I don't know anything about it but since it is a REQUIREMENT of the grant ( surprise big govt) then I have to do it. I want it done before I submit so that it looks like I am really ready.
I haven't applied for a grant at all so I don't know anything about the new process they have going, but I should warn you, when you do the registry and submit all your training and coursework info, the registry has to verify it all and your registration is not complete until ALL the info is verified. I think my registration verification process took almost 3 weeks so.... I don't know if it can be or if it is faster or slower as that is just my personal experience with it all.

Hope that helps.
Willow 04:04 PM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think it will be a hard road or atleast a bit tough for those providers who have little or no training or only have the basic licensing requirements.

I have a huge problem with that.

A lot of my mentors have been providing licensed childcare for decades. They know far more and have far more experience than someone fresh out of college with just a degree.

The fact that they'd be deemed sub-par in comparison just on that alone is disgusting to me. Add to that they'd have no way to opt out of such comparisons?....just ugh.
jojosmommy 05:57 PM 09-04-2012
So where do we find out what they assess when they come? I looked through the site and don't see that info available. I feel like I already stress and anxiety enough from just my lic visits, I don't want another whole thing to add stress to my life.

And where do you submit all your credientials on the mn registry site? I logged on (and had issues as it said my email was already in use by a member ,) so I used my other email address. Then it said it would verify my lic # and info and they will send me something. So...... now I can't log in at all, cant see anything where I can get more info, seems not user friendly. Do I have to wait for my info to be processed before I can enter the site. ? ?

And I 100% agree with the idea that just because you have your licensure in an early ed area that doesn't mean you are 4 star material. The opposite is true for lots of providers too, the daycare lady I went to when I was a kid is still doing care. If we lived near her I would send my kids there in a second, no matter the cost etc. But she has no "degree" and because of age probably wouldnt rate well as she doesn't go to the extensive amount of trainings necessary to get a 4 star rating. I think its misleading to compare apples to oranges.
nanglgrl 06:36 PM 09-04-2012
We have what is called The Quality Rating System in Iowa, it seems like it is similar to Parent Aware. In Iowa there are 5 stars and certain requirements to get each star. The first and second star are certain things like being Childnet Certified (another program we do here) and some other basic things. Once you get to the third star you get points for "extra" things you do. You do not have to meet each requirement but have to meet enough points to earn the next star. Example: Having a nurse consultant from CCRR and go through all of your files and tell you shots your DK need is so many points, correcting all of the things need to be corrected is so many points, having a person from CCRR come over and go through all of your toys to determine if any have been recalled, if surfacing is needed under them and/or if they are age appropriate is worth so many points and fixing anything they find is worth more points. There are also certain sections based on education or experience. These are all things over and beyond licensing requirements. To be a 5 star provider here you would have to have a minimum amount of points in each category of Professional Development/Community Partnerships/Environment and Health and Safety so if you have a doctorate it will give you points but not enough to get past 2 stars unless you complete other requirements. KWIM?
We get a grant every 2 years when we renew and the amount is more depending on how many stars we have. We are told to start out with 1 or 2 stars because you get that grant and in the next year can go to the next star and get another grant instead of having to wait 2 years to renew your current star rating (you can gup a star every year if you meet requirements and you will get a grant but if you start at level 5 you don't get another grant for 2 years when you renew}.
It's a good program for providers but truthfully parents couldn't care less (at least in Iowa). Iowa has been doing this for years and I've seen them advertise it but when I mention my star rating at an interview I'm always met with a blank stare.
Maybe Parent Aware will be like Iowa's QRS...
littlemommy 11:15 AM 09-06-2012
Will former DC families be able to post comments about the providers program? If so, I'd get lots of negative reviews...I've had my share of crazy families!
Blackcat31 11:28 AM 09-06-2012

A lot of my mentors have been providing licensed childcare for decades. They know far more and have far more experience than someone fresh out of college with just a degree.

The fact that they'd be deemed sub-par in comparison just on that alone is disgusting to me. Add to that they'd have no way to opt out of such comparisons?....just ugh.
I hear you there but on that same note, that is kind of the point. They are trying to take family care and make it somewhat obsolete as they are wanting child care to be EARLY EDUCATION for all children now and being a stay at home mom who simply watches kids IS sub-par when it comes to government funding and such related to early education.

I don't think there is a way to really get around all this and I agree that book knowledge is NOTHING compared to actual hands on experience.

I saw this coming a few years ago and jumped at the opportunity to further my education so I wouldn't be stuck when this finally came in to play.

So where do we find out what they assess when they come? I looked through the site and don't see that info available. I feel like I already stress and anxiety enough from just my lic visits, I don't want another whole thing to add stress to my life. .
Here is the link for what things you need http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre.../minnesota.pdf
and here is more info http://www.parentawareratings.org/en...arly-educators

And where do you submit all your credientials on the mn registry site? I logged on (and had issues as it said my email was already in use by a member ,) so I used my other email address. Then it said it would verify my lic # and info and they will send me something. So...... now I can't log in at all, cant see anything where I can get more info, seems not user friendly. Do I have to wait for my info to be processed before I can enter the site. ? ? .
Yes, now you have to wait for everything to be apporved and they will send you an e-mail when you can log back into the registry site. (I know, kinda sucky how they are doing this part )

And I 100% agree with the idea that just because you have your licensure in an early ed area that doesn't mean you are 4 star material. The opposite is true for lots of providers too, the daycare lady I went to when I was a kid is still doing care. If we lived near her I would send my kids there in a second, no matter the cost etc. But she has no "degree" and because of age probably wouldnt rate well as she doesn't go to the extensive amount of trainings necessary to get a 4 star rating. I think its misleading to compare apples to oranges.
I know I think it is going to great for some providers and really hard for others and the kicker is there is going to be a lot of really good providers who are going to fall through the cracks because of the way they are doing this whole thing. I think BOTH education and experience should be counted and not just the piece of paper that says you graduated.

I went back to school to get the degree and had a tough time because some of what they taught was so stupid and could not actually be applied in a real life situation but looked good on paper. Just like most government things....the people who plan it and come up with the rules and regs have never ever actually implemented any of it.

Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Will former DC families be able to post comments about the providers program? If so, I'd get lots of negative reviews...I've had my share of crazy families!
I am not sure about how parent feedback works yet as we haven't got that far in the trianings. My local CCR&R is doing several webinars in late September/early October about the whole program....if anyone is interested, I will send you the link to sign up for it.
Meeko 11:46 AM 09-06-2012

So with you on this one Willow....it's very unfair.

I have been a provider for 27 years. I do not have a college degree. I don't want to, nor do I have the time to be away from my family to go back to school.

I may be tooting my own horn, but I run a top-notch daycare. Most importantly....I have HAPPY, CONTENT, WELL-ADJUSTED kids.

Yet if every state uses these standards, someone who is 20-something, no experience with child care other than some classes and fresh out of school will automatically get a better rating than I do.

What about those of us who just want to provide a safe, loving home-away-from-home for some little ones, without all the bells and whistles?

It infuriates me that the so-called "experts" think that kids need these "programs" by age 6 months or they're going to be left behind. Poor kids. Let the poor things play!
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
So with you on this one Willow....it's very unfair.

I have been a provider for 27 years. I do not have a college degree. I don't want to, nor do I have the time to be away from my family to go back to school.

I may be tooting my own horn, but I run a top-notch daycare. Most importantly....I have HAPPY, CONTENT, WELL-ADJUSTED kids.

Yet if every state uses these standards, someone who is 20-something, no experience with child care other than some classes and fresh out of school will automatically get a better rating than I do.

What about those of us who just want to provide a safe, loving home-away-from-home for some little ones, without all the bells and whistles?

It infuriates me that the so-called "experts" think that kids need these "programs" by age 6 months or they're going to be left behind. Poor kids. Let the poor things play!
Yes, but even play has standards now. Age appropirate, developmentally correct and blah blah blah.....

I think it has come to this because just like parents wanting us (daycare providers) to do all the hard work....(nap schedules, good eating habits, self help skills, academics) education has to start earlier and earlier and in order for that to happen, we have to start at an earlier age and gosh forbid we have regular people without a degree teach these little ones.

The schools are having to do so much more now that kids entering Kindy are now required to know what I was taught in first/second grade.

I also think that programs like star rating systems are going to create a HUGE divide among child cares that we are going to see education centers and care centers. The education centers are going to be the providers with a degree and education behind them teaching the little ones and the care places are going to be your providers with no degree simply caring for the children but not necessarily doing a preschool curriculum within their day.

Parents still have the right and the obligation to seek out whatever care environment they wish for their child but in this ever growing competitive society that we have, you know what that means.

I think sooner or later ALL child care providers will be basically "employed" by the government and that family child care providers who don't meet the upper end of the star rating systems will be shoved into that babysitting category, no matter what they actually do with the kids.

I was somewhat excited about the Parent Aware thing happening, because in some ways I DO want to be recognized for my hard work and effort in going back to school and I want to be recognized for how my program works compared to the lady down the street who believes in many of the old school ways of raising a child (forced PT'ing and the "Clean Plate Club" etc) and still teaches her kids how to count by rote and repeated methods used in the old days that are no longer deemed developmentally appropriate.....kwim?

I don't know as the more I read the more I am losing faith in the whole thing. I resisted the whole union thing and was adamantly against it but I really do think that this is all related and they will one way or another be the controlling hand in how we run our businesses and what we do.

I would love to see some standardized regulations as far as daycare across the country but I don't want to relinquish ALL the control of a business I built and hand it over to someone else to rate and not have a say in any of it.
momofsix 12:10 PM 09-06-2012
I hear you there but on that same note, that is kind of the point. They are trying to take family care and make it somewhat obsolete as they are wanting child care to be EARLY EDUCATION for all children now and being a stay at home mom who simply watches kids IS sub-par when it comes to government funding and such related to early education.

I saw this coming a few years ago and jumped at the opportunity to further my education so I wouldn't be stuck when this finally came in to play.

This is what I don't agree with!
IMHO the best place for a baby/young toddler is with mom. Actually I would go a lot further (in age) with that as I home schooled my kids
I myself have a curriculum, a separate space dedicated to child care and a degree in early childhood education but I don't think those things should be a requirement for doing child care.
Some people want their child with a 'grandma" type person. Some want a sahm with their child as kind of of an extended family. Some want more structure but still want the family home feel. Some want a formal center with actual "homework".
I think what type of care parents want should be left up to the parents. The state is trying to turn each daycare home into a mini-center or else they are just trying to push home dcp's our of business.. Every year new rules come out that are hard to do in a home without some major disruptions or annoyances.
My state wants me to do home visit conferences with parents to earn a star. My parents don't want that and I certainly don't want to spend my evenings having conferences in dcp homes!
There are a lot of providers on here that don't do an organized curriculum, don't have degrees etc., yet I would love my child to be a part of their daycares. Soon, the way things are going that won't be possible.
Willow 12:16 PM 09-06-2012

AGREE 1,000,000%!!!!!!!!

I think that's exactly where a lot of the problems kids today have are coming from. Everything is being pushed too hard, too soon. It's all TOO MUCH!!!! All of it is just producing are children who are lacking in almost every area across the board.

Who cares if the child can read at the age of three if by the time they're 5 and entering Kindergarten they have no sense of imagination, zero creativity, no ability to play independently and have nerves so frazzled they literally can't calm the heck down. It's pressure pressure pressure to learn things they shouldn't need to be bothered with at that point.

People raised "back in the good old days" were a heck of a lot more even keeled than what's being spit out of senior high school today. I'm young (enough) and can see that plain as day.

We are not producing generations of kids who are smarter and better equipped, far too many are either train wrecks or slipping through the cracks. I do think this is one of the reasons behind that.

IMHO the ONLY thing a child needs to worry about when they're 0-5 is being a child. Many stay at home mom's with solid common sense and a hefty dash of patience are plenty capable of providing the best care for them there is.

The only reason why I'm on board the Montessori train is it seems to center kids and trains them to focus and regroup from the stresses they experience outside of my home. I certainly don't need to be adding more of those while they're here.

The only ones equipped to be evaluating anyone as far as I'm concerned - are the kids themselves.
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by momofsix:
This is what I don't agree with!
IMHO the best place for a baby/young toddler is with mom. Actually I would go a lot further (in age) with that as I home schooled my kids
I myself have a curriculum, a separate space dedicated to child care and a degree in early childhood education but I don't think those things should be a requirement for doing child care..
I agree but this is also the same arguement everyone has about whether a provider is a teacher or not....kwim? Care is care. Education is education. NOT saying I agree, just saying that the state wants to define them in a clearer manner.

Some people want their child with a 'grandma" type person. Some want a sahm with their child as kind of of an extended family. Some want more structure but still want the family home feel. Some want a formal center with actual "homework".
I think what type of care parents want should be left up to the parents. The state is trying to turn each daycare home into a mini-center or else they are just trying to push home dcp's our of business.. Every year new rules come out that are hard to do in a home without some major disruptions or annoyances.
I also agree that parents should be able to choose what type of care environment they want for their child and they still will be able to do that. But the rating system gives them the tools to find that care rather than calling every provider in the area.

I just think giving stars is mis-leading as to which place is "better" than another. They should just make categories IMHO, such as "Home-like provider" or "Educational provider" or "Blue Provider" and "Green Provider"...LOL!! You know what I mean...anything that helps to better sort through all the different types of care there are without insinuating one is actually BETTER than another based on stars.

My state wants me to do home visit conferences with parents to earn a star. My parents don't want that and I certainly don't want to spend my evenings having conferences in dcp homes!
There are a lot of providers on here that don't do an organized curriculum, don't have degrees etc., yet I would love my child to be a part of their daycares. Soon, the way things are going that won't be possible.
Parents should still be able to have a choice and I don't think forced daycare will be coming our way yet but Catherder said a while back that her state makes it virtually impossible to be a child care provider as they once were and have so many new requirements that it isn't easy to do any more.

She now has to have a CDA whether she wanted one or not. Plus her state has free preschool to anyone 3 and over taking half the available kids needing care out of the equasion which basically leaves family child care providers having to really find clients and investing all the hard work and time into a child for the first 3 years to lose them to free preschool afterwards.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 09-06-2012
AGREE 1,000,000%!!!!!!!!

I think that's exactly where a lot of the problems kids today have are coming from. Everything is being pushed too hard, too soon. It's all TOO MUCH!!!! All of it is just producing are children who are lacking in almost every area across the board.

Who cares if the child can read at the age of three if by the time they're 5 and entering Kindergarten they have no sense of imagination, zero creativity, no ability to play independently and have nerves so frazzled they literally can't calm the heck down. It's pressure pressure pressure to learn things they shouldn't need to be bothered with at that point.

People raised "back in the good old days" were a heck of a lot more even keeled than what's being spit out of senior high school today. I'm young (enough) and can see that plain as day.

We are not producing generations of kids who are smarter and better equipped, far too many are either train wrecks or slipping through the cracks. I do think this is one of the reasons behind that.

IMHO the ONLY thing a child needs to worry about when they're 0-5 is being a child. Many stay at home mom's with solid common sense and a hefty dash of patience are plenty capable of providing the best care for them there is.

The only reason why I'm on board the Montessori train is it seems to center kids and trains them to focus and regroup from the stresses they experience outside of my home. I certainly don't need to be adding more of those while they're here.

The only ones equipped to be evaluating anyone as far as I'm concerned - are the kids themselves.
Willow......you are absoultely right but according to every educational insititute out there...Early education is beneficial to every child...although not one study can actually prove that to be true unless you count only underpriviledged children or children living in poverty.

Why is it suddenly ok for a 4 year old to not be potty trained but yet MUST know his ABC's and 123's upon Kindy entrance.....kind of a small gap for mastery of those skills to be so close together

It is all about the money. Same goes for the food program. We can feed the kids Corn chips now because there is money in it for the food program to support those things.

There is no money in a child having free play or having an imagination.
Willow 12:32 PM 09-06-2012

Parents still have the right and the obligation to seek out whatever care environment they wish for their child but in this ever growing competitive society that we have, you know what that means.
Sadly.....some parents are fruitloops these days.......

I think sooner or later ALL child care providers will be basically "employed" by the government and that family child care providers who don't meet the upper end of the star rating systems will be shoved into that babysitting category, no matter what they actually do with the kids.
That would be one of my worst fears.

Not just for myself, but for providers everywhere.

I was somewhat excited about the Parent Aware thing happening, because in some ways I DO want to be recognized for my hard work and effort in going back to school and I want to be recognized for how my program works compared to the lady down the street who believes in many of the old school ways of raising a child (forced PT'ing and the "Clean Plate Club" etc) and still teaches her kids how to count by rote and repeated methods used in the old days that are no longer deemed developmentally appropriate.....kwim?
This, I get.

But I wish there was a better way to distinguish between the two aside from making it all about early (in an extreme sense) childhood education

I definitely think this is a "the union idea went splat" spin-off deal.

I think the originators thought union organization would be a slam dunk, and now that such a proposal has been largely rejected they are trying to get sneaky about finding other ways to creep in and take over.

What's crazy to me about that is family childcare especially is largely done smack dab in people's homes. How big brother thinks they can come in and trample all over the most private of spaces and closest business relationships capable of being formed (between parents and provider and CHILD and provider) is just beyond my comprehension.

If they find a way to over-regulate that relationship we best get ready for them to start stepping all over the relationships parents have with their own children too.
Willow 12:37 PM 09-06-2012

It is all about the money. Same goes for the food program. We can feed the kids Corn chips now because there is money in it for the food program to support those things.
But corn chips totally belong on the food pyramid!

They're a veggie..........right?

I was straight shocked last time my food rep visited and she told me I could feed Lucky Charms at snack time because all General Mills Big G cereals now list whole grain as first ingredient

Even she was disgusted.
Blackcat31 12:57 PM 09-06-2012
If they find a way to over-regulate that relationship we best get ready for them to start stepping all over the relationships parents have with their own children too.
In some ways I think they already do...one can not discipline their child by spanking any more. Children have muc..h more power than they used to have. Parents are no longer the ultimate authority.

I have a friend who disciplined her child by spanking (NOT beating him or leaving any marks but a swift swat to the rear for something he deserved it for. He went to his school counselor and said his mom spanked him.

She is still having visits with CPS. and this was almost 2 years ago. She also has a record now. She was charged with anything but you can bet your bottom dollar that every worker in the human services dept knows her family's name now.
Heidi 01:03 PM 09-06-2012
Participation is only optional for now. It WILL be mandatory soon.

I think the people who are trying to unionize child care are using Parent Aware as a tool to get providers to sign up to be unionized. Basically, union reps are telling providers a bunch of negative stuff about the Parent Aware and how it is not ideal, especially for providers who don't have a CDA or a degree and that if they are against it, then they should sign on to be unionized as they are "promising" that they will speak up against the star rating system and be a voice for providers.

Basically the Parent Aware system will give stars to providers based ont heir education, exerience and how they run their programs and then parents will be able to search for the kind of care they want...kwim?

I think giving stars for education and stuff is a bit mis-leading though as it gives the impression that providers withonly one star arent as good as providers with more stars...but I don't think tha tis the case...I think it is just a way to let parents know that this provider does curriculum and assessments etc and this one doesnt. I don't think it actually tells parents that 4 stars is better than 1 but I guess that is all in how parents read and see the program too.

I don't know for sure but from what I have read, I do think it is a good program and have competed my registry and filled out most the forms for enrollment. Now it is just a waiting game to see if I have all my ducks in a row and once my program is assessed, I will receive my star(s).
As you mentioned, it's based on our Youngstar system. And YES, they are DEFINATELY trying to give parents to the impression that 4 stars is better than 2! You bettcha! Youngstar is being intertwined with EVERYTHING here, even the Early childhood programs at the tech schools.

As for the union, although I have very mixed feelings about the unions in general, I can tell you that I know for a fact that they have indeed had to "go to bat" for quite a few providers against our DCF and in regards to Youngstar.

Our state got wind of MAJOR fraud a few years ago, and unfortunately, they went from zero-to-60 in about 4 seconds. They went from doing almost nothing to going way overboard, sweeping quite a few innocent (but often untrained or undeducated about the way it's supposed to be done) up along with the true fraud committers.

in the interest of full disclosure-my sister was a union rep here for providers, so I have heard the "horror" stories first hand. Our union is voluntary, as it should be, IMO, but the problem is this. Now, because not enough people joined and because of our governer, we as dcp's lost the right to be represented, pretty much. So, unlike Utah, which has a cooperative relationship with it's providers, we have a disfunctional adversarial relationship. It stinks! Providers have NO input, no say, and no voice now. Pretty much, DCF can do whatever they want and we just have to say "yes sir". Like last year, when they decided that FAMILY childcare providers no longer needed to be paid by enrollment, while centers remain enrollment based.

So, although one quality standard on the FCCERS is "the provider arranges for PAID time off" (paraphrased), Wisconsin Shares does not pay for ANY time off (parent, child, or provider). They say "oh, well, the parents just have to pay it".

We've had caseworkers actually TELL potential daycare parents "you cannot afford family childcare".

Personally, I don't really have a problem with the rating system. I do have a problem with the way it's implemented, and I realize it's still new, and there are a lot of bugs to work out. I wish MN would hold it's horses and wait until WI gets it figured out before they jump on that ship, though!
Heidi 01:10 PM 09-06-2012
Sadly.....some parents are fruitloops these days.......

That would be one of my worst fears.

Not just for myself, but for providers everywhere.

This, I get.

But I wish there was a better way to distinguish between the two aside from making it all about early (in an extreme sense) childhood education

I definitely think this is a "the union idea went splat" spin-off deal.

I think the originators thought union organization would be a slam dunk, and now that such a proposal has been largely rejected they are trying to get sneaky about finding other ways to creep in and take over.

What's crazy to me about that is family childcare especially is largely done smack dab in people's homes. How big brother thinks they can come in and trample all over the most private of spaces and closest business relationships capable of being formed (between parents and provider and CHILD and provider) is just beyond my comprehension.

I just want to clarify, in WI the union FOUGHT Youngstar, they are definately NOT in "cahoots"!!!! Even if you want to think they are ALL rotten eggs...they are not rotten eggs from the same chicken!!
momofsix 01:20 PM 09-06-2012
In MI the state would take away the choice of parents as far as what type of care they want for their own children.
In order to watch even one child for a period of longer than 2 weeks, you must be licensed. The state has control over every single child care arrangement in MI unless you have a family member watching your child. I think that's wrong as wrong can be
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 09-06-2012
In MI the state would take away the choice of parents as far as what type of care they want for their own children.
In order to watch even one child for a period of longer than 2 weeks, you must be licensed. The state has control over every single child care arrangement in MI unless you have a family member watching your child. I think that's wrong as wrong can be
Are Michigan child care providers unionized?
Heidi 01:26 PM 09-06-2012
YoungStar Quality Ratings System Explained

5* Meets highest levels of quality standards

4* Meets elevated levels of quality standards

3* Meets proficient levels of quality standards

2* Meets health and safety standards

1*Does not meet health and safety standards
Blackcat31 01:50 PM 09-06-2012
I think MN only goes to 4 stars.

Here is the sheet that is used to market the program to parents;http://www.parentawareratings.org/fi...hecklist_0.pdf

Like how they state this last line: "Parent Aware Ratings make it easy to identify and be assured of quality"
Country Kids 01:55 PM 09-06-2012
I might get a 3 on something like this and it really saddens me. My state is starting this and I really hope the think about what they are doing.

I have almost 2 decades of experience in my field. A family I have has decided to keep there child with me through kindergarten because they are so impressed with my program. The other two siblings went to a private kindergarten and the parents have chosen me over a private one. They felt their child was actually learning more here.

Another teacher cannot wait till her child is old enough to come here. She is so excited for him to be here. She is a educated teacher and says how much he will learn here from what I offer.

I could go on and on. My personal point is I could have reference letter upon reference letter but it won't do any good. I won't have a degree behind my name but experience. I remember when experience was much better then a degree!
daycare 02:03 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I might get a 3 on something like this and it really saddens me. My state is starting this and I really hope the think about what they are doing.

I have almost 2 decades of experience in my field. A family I have has decided to keep there child with me through kindergarten because they are so impressed with my program. The other two siblings went to a private kindergarten and the parents have chosen me over a private one. They felt their child was actually learning more here.

Another teacher cannot wait till her child is old enough to come here. She is so excited for him to be here. She is a educated teacher and says how much he will learn here from what I offer.

I could go on and on. My personal point is I could have reference letter upon reference letter but it won't do any good. I won't have a degree behind my name but experience. I remember when experience was much better then a degree!
I have not read everything, but Country I agree with you. My sister 9 degrees most of them revolving around education. AND I hate to say this, but she is one of the worst people I have EVER seen work with young children. She is now a principal, which suits her well, but to see her work with young children or even her own...............OH boy.

I have a degree, non-child related but I have 10 years of teaching preschool, 14 years of working with children and 22 years of coaching....Guess I would not rate well either and I have people lined up to get in.........

BUT I do pray and hope that in CA they start something like this soon, because there are some DCs out there that are just basically ruining children..........I know of 3 that are in my town alone......
Blackcat31 02:17 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have not read everything, but Country I agree with you. My sister 9 degrees most of them revolving around education. AND I hate to say this, but she is one of the worst people I have EVER seen work with young children. She is now a principal, which suits her well, but to see her work with young children or even her own...............OH boy.

I have a degree, non-child related but I have 10 years of teaching preschool, 14 years of working with children and 22 years of coaching....Guess I would not rate well either and I have people lined up to get in.........

BUT I do pray and hope that in CA they start something like this soon, because there are some DCs out there that are just basically ruining children..........I know of 3 that are in my town alone......
This (the rating systems) will eventually happen everywhere.

It says here that California is in the "exploring or designing" phase but IS operating within Los Angeles County. http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/cd/re/elqisqrs32309.asp
Country Kids 02:20 PM 09-06-2012
Our state is exploring the kindergarten readiness and the star rating system at the same time! What a headache that is going to be.

BC what do you think of this. Our private schools here (might be everywhere) are allowed and most do, hire teachers that have no degree. Its actually legal! So would these type of establishments not get starred very high? I wonder if they will change this if it does?
daycare 02:24 PM 09-06-2012
is that also for in home? I cant find where it states that in-home will also be included in it....I would love for it to be in home....
daycare 02:30 PM 09-06-2012
never mind, I just saw where it said home daycares...well I have something else to look forward too!!!!!
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 09-06-2012
Here is the link from the U.S Department of Health and Human Services/Adminstration of Families and Children http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre...ity/index.html

The overview of QRS (Quality Rating Systems) is :
to create resources for States regarding the evaluation of child care quality rating systems (QRSs), systems that have been put in place to measure, monitor, and promote high-quality child care.

This is the first step towards government controlled early education as well as eliminating home based family child care (IMHO).

@Country, I am not sure yet how this is going to effect private and/or charter schools or even homeschooled kids but I will bet that eventually they will find a way to work those elements into it soon too!
Country Kids 02:33 PM 09-06-2012
We have a few centers here that start at infants and go up through elementary or middle school.

My sil was a teacher at one of these for kindergarten and she had no license. So it seems that would come down on them for having someone teaching with no degree.
daycare 02:34 PM 09-06-2012
Here is the link from the U.S Department of Health and Human Services/Adminstration of Families and Children http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre...ity/index.html

The overview of QRS (Quality Rating Systems) is :
to create resources for States regarding the evaluation of child care quality rating systems (QRSs), systems that have been put in place to measure, monitor, and promote high-quality child care.

This is the first step towards government controlled early education as well as eliminating home based family child care (IMHO).

@Country, I am not sure yet how this is going to effect private and/or charter schools or even homeschooled kids but I will bet that eventually they will find a way to work those elements into it soon too!
goes to show you how well the state keeps us informed of anything going on. You are in a different state and you know more than I do....uggh...lol

so when you say you feel that they will try to phase out home daycares, are you saying ones that don't meet the new criteria???
Country Kids 02:37 PM 09-06-2012
goes to show you how well the state keeps us informed of anything going on. You are in a different state and you know more than I do....uggh...lol

so when you say you feel that they will try to phase out home daycares, are you saying ones that don't meet the new criteria???

I would say 90-95% of the childcares in my state have no idea about this. I only learned about it because I joined a childcare type organization that has people from centers, headstart, the college and then me. There are only about 15 of us but I wouldn't have know if I didn't join this.
daycare 02:39 PM 09-06-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I would say 90-95% of the childcares in my state have no idea about this. I only learned about it because I joined a childcare type organization that has people from centers, headstart, the college and then me. There are only about 15 of us but I wouldn't have know if I didn't join this.
im reading about it now, but am having a hard time understanding what it all means.....
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 09-06-2012

Yes, I think that family child cares with providers who don't have the degree and/or training requirements will eventually be phased out.

I think there will always be family child cares operated out of homes but the provider will be required to have a degree relating to ECE and they will be required to have an approved curriculum as well as some way to report back to the parents what goes on at the child care as well as providers being required to assess children so that early intervention can be implemented as quickly as possible when a developmentally delay is noticed.
daycare 02:56 PM 09-06-2012
Yes, I think that family child cares with providers who don't have the degree and/or training requirements will eventually be phased out.

I think there will always be family child cares operated out of homes but the provider will be required to have a degree relating to ECE and they will be required to have an approved curriculum as well as some way to report back to the parents what goes on at the child care as well as providers being required to assess children so that early intervention can be implemented as quickly as possible when a developmentally delay is noticed.
got it....well I guess I am not too worried...I only have about 6 months left of finishing my AA in early education.....NOt too sure if my degree in literature will account for anything...
Plus I have zero experience in my field of my degree
momofsix 04:35 PM 09-06-2012
Are Michigan child care providers unionized?
I believe there still is. It only affects providers that accept state pay kids. I was a part of it when I had some state pay a few years ago. I paid the dues and never heard of anything they did on my behalf. There was a lawsuit that they lost that allowed providers to opt out of the union-prior to that anyone that took state pay kids automatically got their union dues taken out of their pay. Child care workers wer under the UAW.
Meeko 06:14 PM 09-06-2012
The UK has a MAJOR problem right now with childcare. (We have been considering moving back to the UK (I am a Brit). However, we are going to wait and see what happens in the next few months as the whole system is being looked at.

The government decided in the past, that home daycare should be judged like a school and providers have to show lesson plans, progress reports, parent conferences...etc.etc.etc. They must attend more classes and so on.

The results?

Total chaos.

Parents are spending a FORTUNE on daycare...MUCH more than in the USA. I almost died when my brother told me how he pays for childcare. It's FOUR times what I charge!!!!!

Providers are charging higher and higher rates to cover the cost of their ongoing education levels, and because they are spending HOURS of their spare time filling in forms, working on lesson plans etc and are sick of doing it on their own time with no compensation.

Either that, or they are quitting in high numbers because it's no longer worth it financially and no longer their "own" business.

It has become a crisis. Parents either can't find affordable care...or can't find care at all. My own brother and his wife were lucky my parents could tend their boys two days a week, because full-time daycare was impossible to find or afford if it did become available. They paid a huge amount for just three days of care.

More and more parents are actually trying to contact local authorities too and letting them know that many of them just want a place for their kids to go while they work. A safe, loving home. That's all. Not school. They don't want school for their one year old. They want someone who is relaxed and happy in their job and spending time with their child instead of being frazzled about 4 hour long drop-in visits from authorities and filling in dozens of forms.

De-regulation is now in place because somebody in the government is now red-faced and admitting it's not working.

In the next few weeks/months...we hope to know what's happening there so we can make a decision on whether or not we want to move. I miss my family and I miss England, but I have to make a living without having a stress related heart attack!

The same will happen here. Providers will charge more and more... as more and more is expected of them (rightly so)...but it will cause a crisis when parents simply can't afford it.

Big Brother needs to butt out.

PARENTS should be the ones deciding what's best for their children. If they want school...there are great ones out there. If they want "Grannie's Place"...they should be able to have that too. And "Grannie" shouldn't have to be raked across the coals because she wants a few little ones to love on for a few bucks a week.

Licensing should be kept to the minimum (health and safety regs). The government has no place telling parents what they MUST have. Before long, all choices will be gone. Every day care will be the same. UGH.
Blackcat31 07:20 AM 09-07-2012
The UK has a MAJOR problem right now with childcare. (We have been considering moving back to the UK (I am a Brit). However, we are going to wait and see what happens in the next few months as the whole system is being looked at.

The government decided in the past, that home daycare should be judged like a school and providers have to show lesson plans, progress reports, parent conferences...etc.etc.etc. They must attend more classes and so on.

The results?

Total chaos.

Parents are spending a FORTUNE on daycare...MUCH more than in the USA. I almost died when my brother told me how he pays for childcare. It's FOUR times what I charge!!!!!

Providers are charging higher and higher rates to cover the cost of their ongoing education levels, and because they are spending HOURS of their spare time filling in forms, working on lesson plans etc and are sick of doing it on their own time with no compensation.

Either that, or they are quitting in high numbers because it's no longer worth it financially and no longer their "own" business.

It has become a crisis. Parents either can't find affordable care...or can't find care at all. My own brother and his wife were lucky my parents could tend their boys two days a week, because full-time daycare was impossible to find or afford if it did become available. They paid a huge amount for just three days of care.

More and more parents are actually trying to contact local authorities too and letting them know that many of them just want a place for their kids to go while they work. A safe, loving home. That's all. Not school. They don't want school for their one year old. They want someone who is relaxed and happy in their job and spending time with their child instead of being frazzled about 4 hour long drop-in visits from authorities and filling in dozens of forms.

De-regulation is now in place because somebody in the government is now red-faced and admitting it's not working.

In the next few weeks/months...we hope to know what's happening there so we can make a decision on whether or not we want to move. I miss my family and I miss England, but I have to make a living without having a stress related heart attack!

The same will happen here. Providers will charge more and more... as more and more is expected of them (rightly so)...but it will cause a crisis when parents simply can't afford it.

Big Brother needs to butt out.

PARENTS should be the ones deciding what's best for their children. If they want school...there are great ones out there. If they want "Grannie's Place"...they should be able to have that too. And "Grannie" shouldn't have to be raked across the coals because she wants a few little ones to love on for a few bucks a week.

Licensing should be kept to the minimum (health and safety regs). The government has no place telling parents what they MUST have. Before long, all choices will be gone. Every day care will be the same. UGH.
I think this is what will happen here too...but for right now they are marketing all of this as so positive and needed and they are literally saying that the rating systems gives parents the tools to choose what is right for their child and how this will help providers too as there will be a support system for us to learn new things and have people who "have our backs" when it comes to running our businesses.

I think they are wrapping it all up in a nice pretty packeage and selling it to both providers and parents as a great movement toward helping our children have future academic success.......but I am afraid (as I read more deeply into this whole hting) that when the time comes to implement and live with this program that it will be Pandora's Box that was actually wrapped up and sold to us....not at all what we (providers or parents) thought it was.
daycare 08:49 AM 09-07-2012
I think this is what will happen here too...but for right now they are marketing all of this as so positive and needed and they are literally saying that the rating systems gives parents the tools to choose what is right for their child and how this will help providers too as there will be a support system for us to learn new things and have people who "have our backs" when it comes to running our businesses.

I think they are wrapping it all up in a nice pretty packeage and selling it to both providers and parents as a great movement toward helping our children have future academic success.......but I am afraid (as I read more deeply into this whole hting) that when the time comes to implement and live with this program that it will be Pandora's Box that was actually wrapped up and sold to us....not at all what we (providers or parents) thought it was.
all of this scares me.................and just when I started sleeping well......lol
jojosmommy 12:11 PM 09-07-2012
So after reading all the post my thoughts are:

1. Who is paying for/pushing this agenda? Nobody does anything "just because" anymore so who is getting paid/rich to make people believe this is a necessity? Who is running this parent aware and where are their funds coming from? I have seen far too many head start dollars wasted so my opinion is jaded...

2. I do think the thing Meeko mentioned will happen. I mean I am not going to work for free and if there are less moms at home who just happen to do daycare and charge cheap rates then I can justify raising my rates. Which means less people will accept state pay (unless they raise their compensation rates) and people will have a hard time finding providers who have openings or people they can afford. DUH!

This is what happened with MA dental care here in MN. They made the restrictions so ridic and the compensation rates so low that there are only like 3 providers who take MA dental care. The closest one here is over an hour away and the wait list is forever long. Who suffers from this? The people who actually need MA dental but really who can blame the dentisits for not bothering to serve them anymore when the govt makes it impossible to do so. (My mom is in the dental field so I hear her complaints all the time )

3. Where does my information go now that I am registered? Who can access me and my training info? Why do you need to know that publically anyway?

4. Can parents really write what they want about my program like a review? Thats going to get ridiculous. We all know parents we have made unhappy because they either couldnt follow rules or didnt pay. So now those parents get to slander us at will?
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 09-07-2012
So after reading all the post my thoughts are:

1. Who is paying for/pushing this agenda? Nobody does anything "just because" anymore so who is getting paid/rich to make people believe this is a necessity? Who is running this parent aware and where are their funds coming from? I have seen far too many head start dollars wasted so my opinion is jaded...
I certainly don't have all the answers but I will try to answer what I do know.
I think it is the government that is pushing this agenda and for the same reasons they push everything else....more money for the state. Whether this funding will actually find it's way to child care providers or the children is doubtful but who knows.

I also agree about the wasted money in regards to Head Start as I USED to be employed by them and that was precisely why I am no longer an employee there.

2. I do think the thing Meeko mentioned will happen. I mean I am not going to work for free and if there are less moms at home who just happen to do daycare and charge cheap rates then I can justify raising my rates. Which means less people will accept state pay (unless they raise their compensation rates) and people will have a hard time finding providers who have openings or people they can afford. DUH!

This is what happened with MA dental care here in MN. They made the restrictions so ridic and the compensation rates so low that there are only like 3 providers who take MA dental care. The closest one here is over an hour away and the wait list is forever long. Who suffers from this? The people who actually need MA dental but really who can blame the dentisits for not bothering to serve them anymore when the govt makes it impossible to do so. (My mom is in the dental field so I hear her complaints all the time )
THIS is exactly what I think will happen as well. I think the moms who stay home and do daycare for an income while raisng their own children will be pushed out of business or will be so far on the ratings scale that no one will want to use them as they will think they are not "quality" since they aren't rated at more than one or two stars at best.

That does mean that those providers who have more stars will also be seen as better (even if they are only fresh out of college and have zero experience behind them) and will be able to charge what they want and parents will ultimately pay MORE in child care costs to get what they "think" is better care.

3. Where does my information go now that I am registered? Who can access me and my training info? Why do you need to know that publically anyway?

4. Can parents really write what they want about my program like a review? Thats going to get ridiculous. We all know parents we have made unhappy because they either couldnt follow rules or didnt pay. So now those parents get to slander us at will?
I think the info on the registry is for the state to track you and isn't accessible by the parents other than just how many stars you have for a rating. I don't think parents can actually see what trianings and courses you have taken. I don't believe it is a public site...I think it is just how the state (government) is tracking us..or keeping tabs on us.

I have NO idea whether parents can post comments or reviews about us as we haven't discussed that as of yet. If that is the case, that will be a completely lop-sided thing since yes, parents who leave angry can say all sorts of things and that is NOT fair....but I am doubting this whole thing was ever started in the name of fairness.
DCMom 12:52 PM 09-07-2012
I haven't read all the responses, but I did read Meeko's and I completely agree.

I have said it before, they will have to drag me kicking and screaming into Parent Aware. I was asked to be part of the pilot program in the Twin Cities Metro a few years ago; It was simply called a Quality Rating System then. All it took was going to the info sessions and I said, "Thanks, but no thanks".

I predict it won't be long before it is mandatory in MN ~ especially if you are a provider who takes subsidized kids. It won't be long after that it will be a requirement of licensing for all of us. There are those who would like a preschool thru college public education system, effectively eliminating the need for childcare. We are losing our independent, unique businesses one piece at a time.

JMHO
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I haven't read all the responses, but I did read Meeko's and I completely agree.

I have said it before, they will have to drag me kicking and screaming into Parent Aware. I was asked to be part of the pilot program in the Twin Cities Metro a few years ago; It was simply called a Quality Rating System then. All it took was going to the info sessions and I said, "Thanks, but no thanks".

I predict it won't be long before it is mandatory in MN ~ especially if you are a provider who takes subsidized kids. It won't be long after that it will be a requirement of licensing for all of us. There are those who would like a preschool thru college public education system, effectively eliminating the need for childcare. We are losing our independent, unique businesses one piece at a time.

JMHO
It WILL be mandatory for ALL providers in MN by 2015. It will eventually be mandatory for ALL states within the next 10 years they told us.

...whether you take subsidy or not.

It is all called QRS but each state names their program whatever they want/
DCMom 01:08 PM 09-07-2012
It WILL be mandatory for ALL providers in MN by 2015. It will eventually be mandatory for ALL states within the next 10 years they told us.

...whether you take subsidy or not.

It is all called QRS but each state names their program whatever they want/
Interesting. I just went to an info session this spring and was told that it was going to be completely voluntary; no mention at all of it being mandatory. And I specifically asked the question. I should have known

It was a broad idea that they were promoting when I was first asked to participate. It has since evolved into Parent Aware and they have changed some things for the better, I will give them that. It still needs some work though...IMHO.
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 09-07-2012
Interesting. I just went to an info session this spring and was told that it was going to be completely voluntary; no mention at all of it being mandatory. And I specifically asked the question. I should have known

It was a broad idea that they were promoting when I was first asked to participate. It has since evolved into Parent Aware and they have changed some things for the better, I will give them that. It still needs some work though...IMHO.
Maybe I should clarify....this is basically what I was told when asked if it was a mandatory program:

It is NOT madatory for providers to participate HOWEVER the ratings of each place is done with or wothout consent. So if a provider chooses NOT to participate in the rating system and do the things required to obtain stars they will automatically only be rated at one star.

So yes, we can choose NOT to participate but we will still be rated.

Does that make more sense?
satcook 01:54 PM 09-07-2012
I have NO idea whether parents can post comments or reviews about us as we haven't discussed that as of yet. If that is the case, that will be a completely lop-sided thing since yes, parents who leave angry can say all sorts of things and that is NOT fair....but I am doubting this whole thing was ever started in the name of fairness.
The daycare I am the director of participated in a research study this summer. They compared those who participation in KQRIS to those who don't to see if they money they are spending on it is making a difference. I am interested to see the results when they come out. I will be sure and post what they found.

We did have to have feedback from parents. We handed out surveys that they gave us and then parents returned them to us in a sealed envelope and we had a larger envelope we put them into. I know 2/3rds of the parents had a return them for us to get credit. I'm not sure if they read and did anything with the info.

It made me upset that my staff could have a BA in anything and get credit for it, but then as a director, my degree in elementary education didn't count for anything. I think my degree is much more useful than the teacher who has one in business!!

Lori
nanglgrl 02:00 PM 09-07-2012
If any of you would like I can send the Iowa QRS "grading" sheet to you. I don't know if it's different qualifications in each state or not. You would think it would be the same since it is QRS. In Iowa it's really no big deal. Here is a rundown:

1 star: Is registered with the Department of Human Services.

2 stars: Childnet certified, participates in the Food Program, submits a self assessment of professional development (basically a list of trainings and strengths and weaknesses) and a professional development plan (what you would like to do in the future, what you want your daycare to be like, etc. )

3 stars:14-18 points (at least one from each category)
4 stars:19-24 points (at least one from each category)
5 stars: Minimum of 25 points and Family Child Care Environment Rating Scale – Revised (FCCERS-R) assessment score of 5.0 or greater. The assessment must be completed by Iowa State University.

Categories:
Health and Safety
Environment
Family and Community Partnerships
Professional Development

So in the Health and Safety category you could do: Development and implementation of an emergency preparedness plan for 2 points/Development and implementation of enhanced health and safety policies for 2 points/ Injury prevention checklist, (Visit completed – 1 point/Starting process of making recommended corrections – 2 points/All corrections completed – 3 points) for 3 points/Child record review, (Visit completed – 1 point,Development of a plan of action to secure health services for children – 2 points) for 2 points/ Health and safety assessment, (Visit completed – 1 point Development of a plan of action to correct deficiencies – 2 points All corrections completed – 3 points) for 3 points. = 12 points

This is just the health and safety category but as you can see it's pretty easy to get points. So a home provider could get at least a 4 stars and even a 5 star if they really wanted.

http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/iqrs/forms/index.html

In our state parents can not rate us or look at our files online and see complaints against us. They can however go into the local office and see any complaints (unsure if it is just founded complaints or if it also includes unfounded). Obviously it's not going to be the same from state to state (although in my opinion it should be) but it should at least be similar. In our state it's really no big deal. They try to get providers to do it because they receive more funding if they get providers to sign up but parents usually don't know about it and if they do they don't care.
Crystal 02:26 PM 09-07-2012

I was involved in some of the meetings on this, and it is very similiar to other states. However, due to the budget, it has all been put on hold. They started this discussion more than two years ago and have not made any progress to date with actually implementing it.

I personally think it will be great and hope they have funding to begin implementing it soon.....while I agree that it may be unfair to many of the experienced providers, I think it will also weed out some of the low quality programs out there that should not be operating at all.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread where we discussed future, nation-wide regulations for child care....and it seems it is finally going to happen. I am glad, as it has been a long time coming to have some sort of agreed upon standard for quality child care and ECE.
DCMom 02:30 PM 09-07-2012
Maybe I should clarify....this is basically what I was told when asked if it was a mandatory program:

It is NOT madatory for providers to participate HOWEVER the ratings of each place is done with or wothout consent. So if a provider chooses NOT to participate in the rating system and do the things required to obtain stars they will automatically only be rated at one star.

So yes, we can choose NOT to participate but we will still be rated.

Does that make more sense?
That makes sense, but it isn't how it was explained to me.

It was my understanding that every program who chose to participate would automatically get two stars, then you had to earn up to the four star rating. It was never mentioned that programs that chose not to participate were rated at all.

To me 'not rated' is better than 1 out of 4 stars, kwim?

Anyway, I am going to look for the literature I received at the informational session. My LEL coach was the person facilitating it; I like to think she would be honest with me after working with me and my kids for 9 months. But...I suppose lit will be like licensing regs, open to interpretation from county to county??
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 09-07-2012
Here is MN Indicators and Scoring sheet. http://www.parentawareratings.org/fi...child_care.pdf

It seems easy enough to get the first 2 stars, it is the 3 and 4 that seem to be tough to do...well not necessarily tough but it is where the education and levels on the career lattice come into play.

Here are some more threads about star ratings https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=rating+system

This one is a particularly good one: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34913
DCMom 02:52 PM 09-07-2012
Thanks Blackcat!

I think I might sign up for another info session and go into it with a list of questions. If it is the inevitable in MN, might as well get ahead of the curve, right?
Blackcat31 02:57 PM 09-07-2012
Thanks Blackcat!

I think I might sign up for another info session and go into it with a list of questions. If it is the inevitable in MN, might as well get ahead of the curve, right?
Here are the list of sessions being offered in our state. There are also a couple webinars offered (scroll down to the bottom of the list)
http://www.parentawareratings.org/en...ation-sessions
daycare 03:04 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I was involved in some of the meetings on this, and it is very similiar to other states. However, due to the budget, it has all been put on hold. They started this discussion more than two years ago and have not made any progress to date with actually implementing it.

I personally think it will be great and hope they have funding to begin implementing it soon.....while I agree that it may be unfair to many of the experienced providers, I think it will also weed out some of the low quality programs out there that should not be operating at all.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread where we discussed future, nation-wide regulations for child care....and it seems it is finally going to happen. I am glad, as it has been a long time coming to have some sort of agreed upon standard for quality child care and ECE.
crystal,

I even have a mom that works for licensing and she has not muttered a word to me. I do agree that we need something in tact that will rid of the low quality or as I call them kiddie farms. Meaning that the kids do nothing but run around like a bunch of farm animals all day. I have some kids who have come from a place like this and holy mollie I had a hard time helping them to get into a routine.

I am looking forward to seeing what will come....
Heidi 04:50 PM 09-07-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Still, they could accomplish that by using SOME of the $10MILLION dollars the program costs over 2 years to hire more licensers, who could then SHUT DOWN the unsafe programs, and to offer more free training and loan equipment to those who need help.

Wisconsin has sold this program as a money saving program, saying it will ELIMINATE fraud. Yet, shorty after implementing Youngstar, they took family providers enrollment based pay away (but not centers) and put them all on attendance based pay. Which, if it boils down to it, probably encourages fraud, because now every time a child or parent is sick, the provider doesn't get paid. I KNOW providers whose daycare parents have said "well, just write them down anyway, I won't tell!" IN any case, the money they claim to have saved was not saved because of Youngstar. It was saved because they found a lot of fraud (and a bunch of clerical or training errors that they called fraud), and because they saved a crapload of money by cutting family provider's pay.

The state says "thou shall have only 8 children in care", but they do not pay for a "slot", only by the hour. The FCCERS says providers should contract for paid time off, but the state says HA! It's just a little ironic.

So, while I applaud any effort to improve the lives of children, I am not a fan of this particular program. Maybe if it where implemented a little differently, giving MORE credit for experience, and being more respectful of each provider's own approach, I'd be a little more fond of the whole thing.
Tags:parent aware, union
Reply Up