Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fever?
Unregistered 05:52 PM 04-07-2017
At what temp do you send children home? I work for a center who is currently sending home at 101 and is now going up to 102. I'm just curious what other centers do cause to me this seems high. Im in Wisconsin if it matters
MsHannah 06:05 PM 04-07-2017
I'm at a center in Wisconsin and we send home at 101. I think that once I own my own daycare I will send home at 100. However, I would also take the presence of lack thereof of other symptoms into consideration when deciding whether or not to send a child home.
Leigh 06:15 PM 04-07-2017
I send home at 100, as my state guidelines suggest. I believe that the commonly accepted number for fever is 100.4. If they're going to keep kids up to 102, why send them home at all, I wonder? I know that *I* am worthless by the time I'm 99.5 (achy, tired).
Unregistered 09:54 PM 04-07-2017
Most of the toddlers I care for are miserable by 100! I think she thinks too many kids are being sent home (yet we still have diraeha going around and some sort of cough and cold)
Michael 10:35 PM 04-07-2017
Here are some threads related to Fever Policies: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...fever+-+policy
pandamom 05:24 AM 04-08-2017
I'm at. Center. We send home for 100.5 and over. They're not supposed to come back until they're fever free without meds for 24 hours
Mad_Pistachio 05:41 AM 04-08-2017
Ours asks to keep a child home at 100.1 or higher. Probably, if they catch it at that, they'll send home (never happened before).
debbiedoeszip 06:03 AM 04-08-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
At what temp do you send children home? I work for a center who is currently sending home at 101 and is now going up to 102. I'm just curious what other centers do cause to me this seems high. Im in Wisconsin if it matters
Here, at most centers and at my home daycare, it's a temp of 100+. That being said, I generally don't take a child's temp unless they seem unwell or are unusually tired or not eating.

Does your center take routine temps, or do they wait until a child seems unwell to take a temp. If a child seems unwell and their temp is 100.5 or 101 would they not send that child home?
e.j. 11:05 AM 04-08-2017
I send them home with a temp of 99 if they have other signs of illness or I know an illness is going around. If they seem ok otherwise, I may wait until their temp goes up to 100.
CeriBear 12:12 PM 04-08-2017
We send home at 100 but we don't take a child's temperature unless they seem unwell or listless.
AmyKidsCo 07:41 PM 04-11-2017
I'm in WI also and I send home at 100. I usually take the temperature several times just to make sure.
childcaremom 02:51 AM 04-12-2017
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
We send home at 100 but we don't take a child's temperature unless they seem unwell or listless.
This is me, as well. Usually there are symptoms present that would make me think to check. I check and then recheck 20-30 mins later to make sure it is staying elevated before calling.
Josiegirl 04:34 AM 04-12-2017
We were discussing this very thing last night. I'm not sure what our regs say BUT a child can be miserable with a temp of 100 or acting just fine with 102. That was what it boiled down to, was to how a child was acting and their participation level. My personal policy says 101 but when I redo my policies again, I will emphasize it is mainly about if they can participate in normal activities.
Josiegirl 04:36 AM 04-12-2017
Here's a thought.....maybe if everybody sent home for earliest symptoms we wouldn't have to clean/sanitize/disinfect ourselves silly all day long.
Blackcat31 05:08 AM 04-12-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Here's a thought.....maybe if everybody sent home for earliest symptoms we wouldn't have to clean/sanitize/disinfect ourselves silly all day long.
I do.

I am very diligent about sending home at the first sign of an excludable symptom. I have little to no illness and have no issues with re-cycling illness that we hear so much about.

I am very clear about this at the interview so if parents aren't able to manage it, I am not the program for them.

I think for many, if not for most of my clients my strict illness policy was a big influence in choosing/wanting to enroll with me.
hwichlaz 09:38 AM 04-12-2017
I send home as soon as it hits 100F. Keeping in mind that I take an axillary temperature, which is usually a degree higher than the thermometer reads. So if a temp under the arm reads 100, it's likely 101 in reality.

I also get to know the kids. I have one that spikes a fever and clear runny nose for a few days after immunization, every single time. No other symptoms. So we give fever reducer and move on with the day.
Josiegirl 10:44 AM 04-12-2017
Don't want to hijack the thread but what about those really nasty green runny noses that just won't quit?? Kid is fine otherwise.
hwichlaz 10:50 AM 04-12-2017
Don't want to hijack the thread but what about those really nasty green runny noses that just won't quit?? Kid is fine otherwise.
I ask for a Dr. note with a diagnosis and treatment. Allergies can cause it...but the parents would treat it in themselves, so they shouldn't leave the poor little ones to suffer with it.
Pepperth 03:51 AM 04-13-2017
I send home at 100.9, but I'll send a text earlier just to warn a parent if we are approaching it. (In case I need to call for pickup later.)
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 04-13-2017
Depends on the child and the length of time they've had nasty nasal discharge.

If it's an older child that has no other symptoms and is perfectly capable of managing a tissue and hand washing as needed, I would probably not exclude.

If it were a younger child not capable of using a tissue or hand washing on their own, I'd probably exclude.

For ALL child, I require a Doctor visit after 5 consecutive days of nasty nasal discharge (just to make sure it hasn't morphed into something worse). I send them with a form and do not allow re-admittance without the completed form.

After another 5 days, I repeat the request for a Doctor visit.

Colored snot does not always mean an infection.
Tags:fever - policy
Reply Up