Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Someone Explain This Food Aversion/Habit?
PB&J 11:18 AM 02-27-2021
Over the years, I’ve cared for toddlers who will put ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in their mouths....except food! Maybe about four kids.
They will pick up and put everything from grass, rocks, plastic bags, carpet fuzz, playdough, paint, liquid glue, etc into their mouths and chomp away. But, offer them actual food and they clamp their lips and turn their heads. We do crafts and things at the same table we eat at, so there’s no association there. But if there is, say, a bowl of paint at craft time they will dig right in and start eating....yet in the same seat fifteen minutes ago they wouldn’t touch a bowl of yogurt (or whatever). They are completely indiscriminate about the texture or smell of any non-food item, so I’m not talking about texture issue kids.
Another example: We can sit down and I will give all the kids a small pile of poms for a craft and they will immediately grab a handful and start “eating”. But if I set down a pile of cereal, immediate pursing of lips, turning of head, pushing away.
Obviously this doesn’t happen to this degree often, but I have one now and it made me think of the others. It’s such an odd behavior.
I’m not looking for hints about how to get them to eat. I’m genuinely curious as to why they do it and how do they KNOW which one is a food item and which is not?
Michael 12:45 PM 02-27-2021
A previous thread on the subject: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87318
Jo123ABC 12:48 AM 02-28-2021
I want to know too!!
Tags:food aversions
Reply Up