Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Questions for Assignment
Unregistered 07:29 PM 10-02-2014
I am working on an assignment for my entry level training and need to ask a provider a few questions. I'm still a few months out from opening my in home center so I haven't met many of the other providers in my area. Would anyone mind answering these for me?

What do you like best about working in child care?
What challenges do you face working in child care?
Why did you choose to go into child care?
What do you do to keep up with new things in child care?

I really appreciate it and can't wait to become an active member!
Lucy 08:42 PM 10-02-2014
I'm my own boss, no dress code, no commute, no ANNOYING co-workers, no office gossip, no annual reviews, no arbitrary production standards, etc. etc. Basically, all the BAD stuff about working in a large office, which is what I did before doing DC.

Parents who have the mindset that I'm their employee.
Dealing with so many different personalities of parents. I've had very few in 20 years that I actually liked as a person... that I would actually be friends with if they weren't my client. But I'm an introvert, so that's understandable I guess.
Kids who have little to no discipline at home, and don't act the way I would want MY kids to.
Interviews - after 20 years, I still dread and hate them.
Not being able to fill spots for extended periods and being stressed over low income.

My mom did it all my growing up years, and when my office job started getting too stressful and tedious and just plain NOT enjoyable, I turned to what I knew best.

I'll move things around every now and then. It always seems more exciting if I find a new and "better" orientation. But really, I've done basically the same thing for 20 years! Except the last two years, I've had before/after school only. (Last year was two Kindergarteners, so half day for them, but this year, B/A only, and I LOVE it!!)

ETA: Oops!!! I read the last question as you asking how I keep things new... as in, changing it up and keeping it fresh for me.
So ok.... to keep up with "new things" in childcare, as in new trends and educational methods.... I simply don't keep up with new trends. They aren't important to me. I do my own thing. I've found from being on this board that I'm very much in the minority on most subjects relating to how my DC is run. So the short answer to question four is, "Nothing".

Hope that helps!
Unregistered 09:08 PM 10-02-2014
Thank you, that helps
Thriftylady 09:16 PM 10-02-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am working on an assignment for my entry level training and need to ask a provider a few questions. I'm still a few months out from opening my in home center so I haven't met many of the other providers in my area. Would anyone mind answering these for me?

What do you like best about working in child care? The kids!! Kids are so innocent and you never know what they are going to come up with. They always surprise you.
What challenges do you face working in child care? The parents. Parents are always a challenge. They think their child is special even if that means they are picky eaters. Every parent thinks their child is the smartest, best whatever and sometimes that means their child is the worst.
Why did you chooseo go into child care? A love of children and guiding them even when it is hard.
What do you do to keep up with new things in child care? Talk to other providers and keep up with trainings.

Hope this helps!!!
DaveA 04:06 AM 10-03-2014

What do you like best about working in child care? Being able to help a child learn a new skill or concept or just enjoy themselves.
What challenges do you face working in child care? Parents who aren't realistic or who don't get that I'm not their employee. I run a service- you use it.
Why did you choose to go into child care? My mother ran a day care center. I've done other jobs and kept returning to this as what I enjoyed.
What do you do to keep up with new things in child care? I do trainings online or in person frequently, but I really don't care what the "new thing" is in childcare. I look to provide a caring, learning-rich environment. After that the "how" kind of falls in place depending on the group and what I/we want to do.

Welcome and feel free to jump right in. Newbies can have some great questions and ideas.
craftymissbeth 06:57 AM 10-03-2014
I love that I can be a loving "second home" to families in my community. I form strong bonds with the children in my care and we become a little family of our own. While I would never think of myself as an extra parent for the children I care for I do love that I can be a positive role model for them.

The biggest challenge I face with having a child care out of my home in particular is that I find myself burning out quite often. It's a challenging job to offer all you can to multiple children all day long and then have your own tasks and responsibilities to take care of as well. I feel like I'm "on" 24/7.

I chose to go into child care in order to fill two of my family's needs: earn an income and to be more available to my school age son when needed.

I keep an eye on what's going on in the child care world by visiting child care related websites, forums like daycare.com, and my state's licensing website.
Annalee 09:03 AM 10-03-2014

What do you like best about working in child care?Being my own boss...i.e. setting own works hours, pay schedule/amount, being home with my own sons, etc.
What challenges do you face working in child care?Can be isolating, time-consuming, feel tied down, etc.
Why did you choose to go into child care?From the time I was a kid myself, I was always the one taking care of cousins, friends, etc. After graduation, I began going ot clients homes, then to daycare centers (one in AL and one in TN) for 3 years, then started my own Group Child Care home for 15 children...I work with my mom, would go back to Family child care home with 7 children if mom stopped working with me.
What do you do to keep up with new things in child care?Network through local support groups, state conferences, national conferences, legislators, teachers in school system, etc..

Best Wishes!!!!
Tags:entry level training, getting started, new program, opening new daycare, questionnaire, starting out
Reply Up