Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Could Have The Perfect Wagon Or Stroller
Meyou 04:27 AM 04-04-2012
What features would it have? DH and I are building a custom wagon for my DC and we're at the final planning stages before we start cutting and assembling. I was wondering what everyone else would value in a travel device for DC?? There might be something cool I can add that I haven't thought of.....even though I've rung pinterest dry for ideas.

So far I have 4 seats with seat belts, cup holders, storage under both sets of seats and holders for my beach umbrella and beach chair.

Thoughts on what would be on your ideal DC stroller/wagon?
Kaddidle Care 04:54 AM 04-04-2012
Seat belts? A motor so you don't break your back pulling 4 children?

I don't know.. it sounds great what you have. Maybe big tires so you can pull it through sand if you ever go somewhere like that. Your Kadiddles are going to have so much fun!
LittleD 05:24 AM 04-04-2012
Yes, seat belts, maybe high walls, cup holders? door that opens closes, maybe a 4 poster sun shade (lighter then an umbrella, covers more area, easy to make) Yes, to the big wheels. Maybe have a lighter wood for the walls, so it won't be as heavy?
godiva83 05:29 AM 04-04-2012
Wow sounds awesome!
I agree larger rubber tires that will make it easier to pull.
Maybe a tag along trailer for times you need to pack a picnic or other supplies.

Please post pictures when you are done, I would love to see it
countrymom 05:47 AM 04-04-2012
this sounds weird but a reall good handle to pull. I find that either its to rough and it hurts my hand or doesnt have padding on it. And a canopy too.
spud912 07:28 AM 04-04-2012
I like the idea of a cupholder for their drink and a cubby for each child to stash their "treasures" they found while on the walk.
Meyou 07:32 AM 04-04-2012
We're starting off with a garden cart that has a brake, front wheels that turn with the handle and big fat tires. It's designed to bear 900lbs so it should be ok with the kidlet's weight. lol

I'm used to hauling several kids and tons of gear to the beach all summer so I'm strong when it comes to pulling.

We're going with PVC and patio fabric for the walls and seats. It should be lightweight but durable.

I love the cubbie idea! We could easily attach something along the side for little bags etc.
A canopy is something I've been thinking about alot. I'm not sure whether to make it permanent or to make it removable somehow. I want the wagon to be totally covered and closed up for bad weather but I don't want it to be a PITA if that makes sense.
CheekyChick 09:24 AM 04-04-2012
I sooooooooooo badly want a 6 seater stroller with a canopy. Sadly, they are about a million dollars.
Heidi 10:56 AM 04-04-2012
I got this one on craigslist for $300. It's the old one from Community Playthings (the new one is plastic), and is the exact same kind I had years ago. I added a bicycle basket to the front for tissues, emergency cards, cellphone, and treasures. I am trying to figure out how to add cup holders....
Attached: P1010063.jpg (193.4 KB) P1010068.jpg (167.7 KB) 
Meyou 11:42 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
I got this one on craigslist for $300. It's the old one from Community Playthings (the new one is plastic), and is the exact same kind I had years ago. I added a bicycle basket to the front for tissues, emergency cards, cellphone, and treasures. I am trying to figure out how to add cup holders....
Google building with PVC and you might come up with an idea! We found soooo many ideas to do with PVC.

I love that wagon. Is it hard to pull? I was thinking about 2 longer bench seats in mine but I'm going with two benches at either end because they I can put a 5th child on the floor in the middle or my cooler will fit there.
Heidi 12:39 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Google building with PVC and you might come up with an idea! We found soooo many ideas to do with PVC.

I love that wagon. Is it hard to pull? I was thinking about 2 longer bench seats in mine but I'm going with two benches at either end because they I can put a 5th child on the floor in the middle or my cooler will fit there.
I get to PUSH it, which means they are always in front of me. I'd hate to have them behind me...too much trouble-making!

I have never had 6 kids in this one, although it does seat 6. 4 is very comfortable, and they can face in our out, so that's a nice feature for handsy kids. I could put a small to mid size cooler on the floor, probably will do some picnicking with it.

You can't see from my pics (and I couldn't find one online), but the wheels are quite large, so it's an easy push, and there is a hand brake. If I let go, it stops.
Country Kids 12:42 PM 04-04-2012
I get to PUSH it, which means they are always in front of me. I'd hate to have them behind me...too much trouble-making!

I have never had 6 kids in this one, although it does seat 6. 4 is very comfortable, and they can face in our out, so that's a nice feature for handsy kids. I could put a small to mid size cooler on the floor, probably will do some picnicking with it.

You can't see from my pics (and I couldn't find one online), but the wheels are quite large, so it's an easy push, and there is a hand brake. If I let go, it stops.
That is soooooo cool!!!! If you ever want to get rid of it, I'll be on the first plane to Wisconsin to pick it up-
Meyou 12:44 PM 04-04-2012

I LOVE that they can see either way. That is such a great feature. Hmmmm....oh DH??? Can we change those plans again?
Heidi 01:21 PM 04-04-2012
If anyone wants to find one, it's called a wagon for 6 from Community Playthings. Try craigslist in your area....
TGPII 01:33 PM 04-04-2012
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...rvan/G649.html

Above is the 6 child wagon we been talking about.

I got my nephew a Berlin Flyer. They are made in USA by the Amish. I was going to get a radio flyer but they are made in china.

http://www.berlin-flyer.com/

TGPII 01:37 PM 04-04-2012
If anyone wants to find one, it's called a wagon for 6 from Community Playthings. Try craigslist in your area....

I got my nephew a Berlin Flyer. They are made in USA by the Amish. I was going to get a radio flyer but they are made in china.

Heidi 01:39 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by tgpii@yahoo.com:

That is the NEW version, which is molded plastic. I have the old one, which is maple and tubular steel. I did not want the new kind.

I paid $650 or so for my original one back in 98, then sold it when I stopped doing daycare. I bought the one I have on Craigslist for $300.
TGPII 01:51 PM 04-04-2012
That is the NEW version, which is molded plastic. I have the old one, which is maple and tubular steel. I did not want the new kind.

I paid $650 or so for my original one back in 98, then sold it when I stopped doing daycare. I bought the one I have on Craigslist for $300.
Were in Craiglist did you look?
spud912 01:55 PM 04-04-2012

That's a great deal! I love love your wagon!
TGPII 02:01 PM 04-04-2012
I am 33 and still have the wagon from when I was a kid. I think my dad garbage pick it before I was born. It has been rebuilt 3 times(new washers, screws, paint ect). I think its on its 3 set of wheels.(Weather breaks down the wheels). About a year ago I had repaint the inside it started to rust. Now I use it for my nephew.
AnneCordelia 02:13 PM 04-04-2012
I have mine!

I have a quint Runabout. It seats 5 children, each up to 50lbs and harnessed in. It has a basket, a sunshade, a rain cover, can fit through standard size doorways, and is light/easy to push. The design is 'anti gravity' so that it's easy to get around corners and up curbs...honestly, easier to push than my Graco Duoglider or my Peg Triplette.
Meeko 02:56 PM 04-04-2012
The perfect wagon? One that transports about 8 kids and then folds up small enough to fit in my pocket LOL!
TGPII 02:57 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
The perfect wagon? One that transports about 8 kids and then folds up small enough to fit in my pocket LOL!
You for got never gets dirty, pushes and pulls itself!
Mary Poppins 03:19 PM 04-04-2012
Honestly, this is my dream wagon for my dck's!!!!!!!

It's only about $5,000 plus shipping though.

Sobs.

TGPII 04:49 PM 04-04-2012
With or without the 4 hp?
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Honestly, this is my dream wagon for my dck's!!!!!!!

It's only about $5,000 plus shipping though.

Sobs.

GretasLittleFriends 06:47 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by tgpii@yahoo.com:
With or without the 4 hp?
Don't forget the feeding, grooming and barn cleaning with that 4 hp!!
TGPII 06:55 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Don't forget the feeding, grooming and barn cleaning with that 4 hp!!
It is like 4 more students!
BBDC 07:42 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I sooooooooooo badly want a 6 seater stroller with a canopy. Sadly, they are about a million dollars.
I have looked into the four or six seat strollers to(the nice plastic ones) but I cannot afford the 800-1000 dollars they want
Meyou 07:44 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by BBDC:
I have looked into the four or six seat strollers to(the nice plastic ones) but I cannot afford the 800-1000 dollars they want
That's exactly why I'm making one myself. It should cost less than $200 when it's finished but it will seat 4-5 and last for years.
Tags:strollers, wagons
Reply Up